Confirmed with Link: Jason Botterill Fired

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
This is the lastest installment of my new book, "Between Botterill and Nothingness", a parody of the parody that is Buffalo Sabres ownership.

What the Sabres' decision-makers said this week and what it...
Terry Pegula: We believe in a flat organization where we can all talk to each other and communicate, not only the head coach, the GM and the owners, but strength and conditioning, the players, everybody.
Adams: Without getting overly specific, philosophically I really believe in flat organizations.

It's a situation where Botterill walled off Terry Pegula from the scouts and other people in the organization. That's the scenario Terry Pegula was talking about when he cited lack of communication. All information had to go through Botterill. That was fine with Kim who had complete trust in Jason, but not with Terry. They might talk on the phone every day but the information was filtered by Botterill. You might as well put a sign on your back that says "Fire Me" if you're going to try to stop an owner from talking to people on his payroll. The people that didn't get canned are those that disregarded Botterill's orders and talked to the Pegulas. Kevin Devine will talk to anyone. He was once observed in Wegmans parking lot talking to a guy for over an hour who asked him if he had any spare change. The guy had to give Devine a few bucks to make him go away. Meanwhile we hadn't heard from Terry for months because he was brooding over not being included while letting Botterill do things his way. Kevyn Adams had been keeping him informed. Kim didn't get on board until Terry started whispering in her ear about lifestyle changes if they didn't become more efficient. He stopped construction on the new yacht in a dramatic display of the seriousness of the situation. When he threatened to close the Healthy Scratch, Kim saw the light. We owe a big round of applause to Jessie and Kelly Pegula for starting a failing business. Jason Botterill was threatening the lifestyle they had grown accustomed to and had to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad