Jason Botterill Discussion Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I didn’t have the same issues some of you did over his first two years. I felt he had things to clean up. But coming into this offseason I felt the “clean up” as it were was over. It was time to start building back up.

He talked a good game heading into the offseason about be aggressive. About a willingness to ride out Oct/Nov with Bryson, Borgen and Fitzgerald if he had to. That the injuries on defense weren’t going to prevent him from making moves. After all that bluster he makes zero moves involving dmen to make the forward group better. In fact he actually adds more dmen.

Two things that have driven me nuts from the start of the past offseason up to now.

(1) His incredible dithering over making bigger moves to help the team. I want to punch the next reporter who tells us Botts is working to add forward help.

(2) The bizarre decision to add Colin Miller with his first move of the offseason. When a piece to fill an actual hole was also available from Vegas. Haula would have been a perfect offseason add. There was zero need to add a player like Miller, zero.

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
How far are fans willing to go expect post on anonymous message boards?
I guess if there would be numerous fire Botterill Signs on visible on TV?
Go by the sports lounge wave a sign behind Marty..
noticed nothing like that when I was watching.
is there anything online happening to put some pressure on the Pelugas?
HAs anything like that ever happened here that there was a fan outrage...like with Canadian some Canadian teams...?

The Pegulas need to at least be feeling pressure from the fanbase. I don't know if they do yet. They might be in love with Botterill, but if they know the fans are losing patience, there will be a feeling of "do something already, Botterill" coming from Terry and Kim.

Watching Botterill in interviews, he has this amazing talent of convincing you that everything is perfectly fine and on schedule, even if it isn't. It's almost like a spell. The fans need to start breaking that spell. A well-placed billboard would be a good start. Alert the news stations of it, then have the reporters bring it up in an interview. Easy, schmeezy....if somebody wants to take the initiative.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The pegulas firing the GM because of a billboard would not make me any more optimistic about the future of this team

Reactions: joshjull

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Think it has to do with the wells these teams keep going back to. Sabres keep digging into the Pittsburgh well and the Bills the Panthers well.
True, but I mean there are not many experienced GMs available who have won a Cup. We've flaked on two "up and comers" in a row, and I'd like someone who has been there and done that regardless of what franchise they're coming from.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
The pegulas firing the GM because of a billboard would not make me any more optimistic about the future of this team
Nobody hardly fires someone for one cause only but all the stones need to start rolling somewhere...

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Botterill is a great GM. Building from the foundation up always takes some time, but it means your house isn't going to fall over in the wind. Excited to see how this off-season goes. This season already was a marginal one anyway, before the chains of Murray's legacy end when these contracts are up, and the injuries and Hutton's play sealed its fate.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Botterill is a great GM. Building from the foundation up always takes some time, but it means your house isn't going to fall over in the wind. Excited to see how this off-season goes. This season already was a marginal one anyway, before the chains of Murray's legacy end when these contracts are up, and the injuries and Hutton's play sealed its fate.

I guess your definition of a great GM and mine are quite different.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Unfortunately, I've (like lots of others) wasted thousands of dollars on STs hoping our great GM gets things right....but we're no closer than we were 3 years ago.
Not sure why you ever thought the transition of Murray robbing to cookie cabinet was going to result in the next GM fixing anything quickly? If you're buying STs and don't have that kind of excess cash, we could've warned you a while back

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Bruh. He GAVE the Blues a cup. A great GM? He’s the worst gm in the league.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
Bruh. He GAVE the Blues a cup. A great GM? He’s the worst gm in the league.

Not a huge Botterill fan but the idea that trading them ROR gave them a Stanley Cup is ridiculous. ROR was great in the playoffs, but he didn't score every goal, or even assist on them. He was part of the rest of the team and helped them win.

To say otherwise is just drowning in hyperbole.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
The Pegulas need to at least be feeling pressure from the fanbase. I don't know if they do yet. They might be in love with Botterill, but if they know the fans are losing patience, there will be a feeling of "do something already, Botterill" coming from Terry and Kim.

Watching Botterill in interviews, he has this amazing talent of convincing you that everything is perfectly fine and on schedule, even if it isn't. It's almost like a spell. The fans need to start breaking that spell. A well-placed billboard would be a good start. Alert the news stations of it, then have the reporters bring it up in an interview. Easy, schmeezy....if somebody wants to take the initiative.

Fans are not under his spell right now. Even casual fans are not tricked by his “everything is fine” wording. Look at this board — people have been calling for his head for awhile now.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not sure why you ever thought the transition of Murray robbing to cookie cabinet was going to result in the next GM fixing anything quickly? If you're buying STs and don't have that kind of excess cash, we could've warned you a while back

This is his third season and second head coach as the GM.

Given where the team was when he took over, I don't believe that year three was unrealistic for being a much more consistent and deep team.

A great GM would have this team in a better place by now.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

You hailed Housley as a great coaching pick. What role did Tim Murray have in that? You liked the ROR trade. What role did Tim Murray play in that? What role did Tim Murray play in Botterill squandering top-100 draft picks on the likes of Jimmy Vesey, Conor Sheary, Matt Hunwick, Colin Miller, and Nathan Beaulieu?

What's the excuse going to be next season? That the Okposo deal is all that's keeping them from being a contender?

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Not a huge Botterill fan but the idea that trading them ROR gave them a Stanley Cup is ridiculous. ROR was great in the playoffs, but he didn't score every goal, or even assist on them. He was part of the rest of the team and helped them win.

To say otherwise is just drowning in hyperbole.
So, you think the Blues win the cup anyway without getting their new best player, and clearing cap space in exchange for no substantial roster subtraction?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Fans are not under his spell right now. Even casual fans are not tricked by his “everything is fine” wording. Look at this board — people have been calling for his head for awhile now.

To be fair, posters here, are more than casual fans.

We are not a good barometer for casual fans in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad