Jason Botterill Discussion Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
A great comparison for Murray. Botterill did not have any of the assets or contract situations that Sakic has had.
I mean, he literally did and then some.

Duchene netted:

Hammond
Bowers
Kamenev
Girard
1st
2nd
3rd

For O'Reilly we got: who was producing better and signed long term @ 1.5 mill more than Duchene.

Berglund
Sobotka
Thompson
1st
2nd

He could have had Burakovsky, Grubauer and Soderburg.

Sakic realized that after making a giant hole at 2C that he needed to fix it and dealt from a position of strength.

And while Murray did saddle Botts with Okposo and Bogo contracts, Botts did himself no favors by acquiring Sobotka, Berglund, Sheary, Hunwick, Vesey And Frolik to add to that cap.

The fact that you deflected this to Murray is just Saturday morning cartoons.

Last edited:

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
That trade would have required a young center like Kerfoot as well. Something we do not have.

Its also a bit much to blame Botts for our long standing status as an undesirable place to play by NHL players.
I would be open to listening to what they would add for Larsson.

I don't blame Botts for the whole thing but if I was an outside looking in, I don't see a plan from Botts other than tanking this year to remove cap and then rebuilding over the next few years. I'm not going to waste my prime in that scenario with little support. I'll go play with Mac, Mikko and Gabe.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Alex Debrincat was drafted with the same pick Murray traded for Josh Gorges. The pick used to aquirer Lehner was one before the Ilya Samsonov pick. And, you know, Draisaitl.

Just forget everything else. Add those 3 players to the roster. None of them needing crazy 20/20 hindsight drafting vision. Just three picks that all would have made perfect rational sense at the time. How much nicer does the future feel at this point with a legit elite 22 year old goalie prospect batting around? A 22 year old 40 goal scoring winger? And, you know, Draisaitl?

You still think players the Sabres draft turn out well? Murray, Botterill, Regier... none of them have turned out players to the level of those guys. They have had a flawed development and scouting program for almost 20 years and yet we still get these excuses as though it defends Botterill.

You know who was the best player taken in 2014? A fourth round pick. Every team passed on him at least once. But Tampa is good at both identifying later round positional players and -- here's the key -- developing them.

Reactions: SonOfWade

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
You still think players the Sabres draft turn out well? Murray, Botterill, Regier... none of them have turned out players to the level of those guys. They have had a flawed development and scouting program for almost 20 years and yet we still get these excuses as though it defends Botterill.

You know who was the best player taken in 2014? A fourth round pick. Every team passed on him at least once. But Tampa is good at both identifying later round positional players and -- here's the key -- developing them.

Point was a third I thought?

But your point (ha) remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad