Jason Botterill Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I mean if the GM was that bad then how in the world do you know if Housley is that bad? It's not like Housley took over a playoff team and then destroyed it.

Because there are aspects of coaching from Housley that are by his own doing. Most of which are decisions in his lineups, his line construction. His lack of any form of adaptation through his whole coaching career, and the team not being prepared for teams. My want of Housley needing to be fired has nothing to do with the players he's given by Botts or wins/loss results. If he was hired to make the team more happy, then he should've been hired as an PR Events Coordinator, not a head coach.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
I mean if the GM was that bad then how in the world do you know if Housley is that bad? It's not like Housley took over a playoff team and then destroyed it.

Very true, it is difficult to isolate and allocate blame with this situation. Perhaps a new coach would bring out the talents of the roster more. Maybe Botterill handcuffed Housley with some of his personnel decisions. But at the end of the day, Housley still had a lot of talent to work with, and his results are on par with the tank years. I do not see a scenario where he is not run out of town after locker clean out.

Botterill will likely stay on and get a chance to right the ship. But does he deserve that chance?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
No, he took over an 80-point team and made it appreciably worse in almost every way, with the roster additions made by the current GM. So yeah, Phil's bad. We see him regularly not ice his best lineup (matchups, use, pairings, lines) which is basic competence for an NHL coach.
78 point team. A team that finished 7-14-2, so in other words a team falling fast.

Why do people act like Botterill and Housley walked into a great situation?

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
A team that quit on its coach for the final three weeks to get him fired.
They started the next year terrible after getting a new coach. We can blame the coach some, but the players play the game. Coach isn't going to make a team last to playoffs alone.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
They started the next year terrible after getting a new coach. We can blame the coach some, but the players play the game. Coach isn't going to make a team last to playoffs alone.

I agree that the players are part of the problem, too. But Phil has not done anything, in two years, to indicate that he should be the coach going forward. That being the case, I don't see the point in proceeding with him as the coach.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It took the two luckiest things that can happen to a GM (winning the lottery when a generational talent is on the board AND having a top line player say your team is the only place he'll go)... to mask how truly terrible Botts is, and even with that most people could see through it.

I would add that he was also fortunate that SJS re-signed Kane. Else that return would be looking pretty awful right now.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I agree that the players are part of the problem, too. But Phil has not done anything, in two years, to indicate that he should be the coach going forward. That being the case, I don't see the point in proceeding with him as the coach.
I've been calling for an experienced head coach for 3 years. I'm 100% behind a coaching change, especially before dumping Ristolainen and/or Reinhart.

Reactions: Kyndig

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Very true, it is difficult to isolate and allocate blame with this situation. Perhaps a new coach would bring out the talents of the roster more. Maybe Botterill handcuffed Housley with some of his personnel decisions. But at the end of the day, Housley still had a lot of talent to work with, and his results are on par with the tank years. I do not see a scenario where he is not run out of town after locker clean out.

Botterill will likely stay on and get a chance to right the ship. But does he deserve that chance?

The guy who hired Phil Housley and Traded ROR deserves nothing more than a pink slip. Tolerating f***ups of that magnitude is the culture problem

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The guy who hired Phil Housley and Traded ROR deserves nothing more than a pink slip. Tolerating ****ups of that magnitude is the culture problem
Opening statement from Kim Pegula right there. Although it will never happen because she likely hired Phil Housley and approved the trade.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Opening statement from Kim Pegula right there. Although it will never happen because she likely hired Phil Housley and approved the trade.

I’m curious as to why you think Kim Pegula is behind either. It is quite clear that the Bills are her baby. Terry seems to be the Sabres guy in the family.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I know of a team that missed the playoffs by 17 points the prior season, saw their franchise player leave for nothing, hire the right coach and not only are they playoff bound there is an excellent chance they finish with a better record than the anointed preseason cup champions they lost their franchise player to. COACHING MATTERS.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I know of a team that missed the playoffs by 17 points the prior season, saw their franchise player leave for nothing, hire the right coach and not only are they playoff bound there is an excellent chance they finish with a better record than the anointed preseason cup champions they lost their franchise player to. COACHING MATTERS.
It all matters.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It's more than coaching. It comes down to leadership. The Sabres have a weak coach, weak GM, and weak ownership. They're a conductor short of an orchestra.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

This is where it’s at. Even the 2015 team never had a stretch as bad as this year’s squad.

If the team as built is truly worse than 2015 it needs to be liquidated immediately and rebuilt around Dahlin.

A GM who needed to provide leadership to the players would either be stepping on the toes of his coach, or cutting his legs out from under him.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Is there anything you won't excuse Botterill for?

Your shtick that, two years later, this is still Murray's and Bylsma's mess is tired. And wrong.

In a 2021 mindset all is well

If he doesn’t fire Housley then I’ll have a problem with him.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Really hope people eat crow in another year or two when Botterill’s patience starts to show. Olofsson is developing as others are who are going to be a big part of the future. We’re another year closer to Okposo’s contract being done as well as Bogosian. We are free of Berglund, Pominville, Moulson, and a few more after this season. This off-season is paramount. Really curious to see how Botts handles coach situation.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Can you imagine where this team would've been if some lottery balls didn't bounce our way and we didn't land Dahlin?
Probably would've feel like we were somewhere about where Arizona was after 2015 draft... And look where they are and where Edmonton and us are... What I'm trying to say is, doesn't seem to matter who we draft, we're good and f***ed until we get good management and coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad