Jason Botterill Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Free Agency? Possibly. I'm much less aware on the goings-on of AHL veteran acquistions.

As for the draft, I can answer. Our top pick this year won't be an AHL body, regardless of the pick, nor will any other 2019 selection.

Our recent drafts:

2012-2015 is dead.

2016 really only has potentially Glotov for this upcoming year (and the aforementioned Fitzgerald)

2017 will bring us Luukkonen and Bryson

2018 won't have anything yet, unless they decide to rush Pekar, or he has a hulk-up summer.
(Side note, picking only 6 times in each of 2017 and 2018 will eventually hurt the overall depth-flow of the pipeline).

That pretty much leaves the UDFA market. Guys like Ruotsalainen could make up the difference, but that's on Botts to fill the void of incoming young AHL talent with non-draft solutions.
How are you so sure that none of our picks this year will end up in the AHL next year? Is that just based on age?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How are you so sure that none of our picks this year will end up in the AHL next year? Is that just based on age?

Players under 20 are rarely successful in the AHL. Youngsters breaking into that wig and performing to expectations are fairly rare. Even if Buffalo continues it’s trend of using a late round pick on someone who is an overage drafty, that is not 18 and has passed through their 18-year-old draft year, the player is still probably a few years out.

In the tradition of good AHL teams of the recent past, it’s a matter of identifying quality veterans in key positions and then filling in with whatever prospects and depth from the parent club around them. He and Randy have done an OK job of landing some vets early in the free agency process each of the last two summers. They’ve also had some losses like Blackwell and Danforth who could’ve made a difference at that level as well. They will again need to be active early in free agency at that level because the good players get signed by teams who know what they’re doing. They have trended that way - but there is work to be done yet again.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Hi Mike. If you use someone's mental health struggles as an opportunity to grind an ax you're despicable.

Who has 'mental health struggles'? Botterill?

Or have we reached the nadir of rationality and 'a bad week' is now to be considered a mental health struggle? If so you are insulting those who suffer from serious mental illnesses i.e. Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Panic Disorder, OCD, PTSD

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Hi Mike. If you use someone's mental health struggles as an opportunity to grind an ax you're despicable.

Haha, pot calling the kettle black if I've ever seen it, with your Harrington ax gringing.

Your seething hatred for Harrington, and blind, unwavering support for Botterill cause you to make some strange logical jumps. I don't see him using anyone's mental health struggles for anything in this post -- it's pretty innocuous and factually true.

How is it grinding an ax by noting the consistent failure within the org, and success from people who leave? It's his job. He was a huge Botterill cheerleader during the win streak, nothing but positivity.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Haha, pot calling the kettle black if I've ever seen it, with your Harrington ax gringing.

Your seething hatred for Harrington, and blind, unwavering support for Botterill cause you to make some strange logical jumps. I don't see him using anyone's mental health struggles for anything in this post -- it's pretty innocuous and factually true.

How is it grinding an ax by noting the consistent failure within the org, and success from people who leave? It's his job. He was a huge Botterill cheerleader during the win streak, nothing but positivity.

You said you were going to ignore me didn't you? I have plenty of disapproval for Botterill, dude is not a great GM.

Good to know Mike has a defender on here though.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Who has 'mental health struggles'? Botterill?

Or have we reached the nadir of rationality and 'a bad week' is now to be considered a mental health struggle? If so you are insulting those who suffer from serious mental illnesses i.e. Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Panic Disorder, OCD, PTSD

Thanks for your concern trolling.

He included Lehner, the guy needed to get out of a toxic environment and turn his life around. Sorry you can't see that.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I didn't get that at all from that Tweet, and I generally despise Harrington.

That's fair. I'm tired of seeing Lehner used as a football for people to make points over. Kane, RoR? Sure highlight them all anyone wants. I don't think Kane had any intention of resigning in Buffalo, and I don't exactly recall people turned up over his leaving.

Why leave Tyler Fedun out?! That guy was let go for nothing.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Don't you have more important things to attend to, Botts?

He was hoping to get some coaching interviews in after speaking to some of the assistants of the other teams at the draft, he’s in between interviews right there there. Been hearing they went well, but they were confused why he was talking hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad