Jason Botterill Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
No, only the NY Islanders are capable of having nice things.
True:
FB_IMG_1555730017237.jpg

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I think everybody is happy Lehner is on a better path.

Suggesting it was impossible for him to get help in Buffalo, is both a "petty HFboards agenda" and a pretty good indictment of the Buffalo Sabres organization, who've shown they repeatedly can't help/support their own players. Botts deserves credit for his support and help. He also deserves a level of questioning about yet another instance where the team is totally clueless about the mental health of it's players. Oh...there goes Berglund...

I'd like the see the Sabres change, I doubt the HFboards crap will.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In terms of what we've heard from both Lehner in several interviews and his own column as well as some comments from Botterill, they did start the process to help Robin out when the extent of his issues started to become clear to the team. They allowed him to go into treatment. Botterill was in regular communication with Robin. There wasn't an issue of them turning their back on him when it came time, it was allowing him to have a fresh start somewhere else. In much the same way as they moved Moulson to a location that was good for the player and his family, allowing Lehner to move on and out of the place that had become part of his dysfunction was actually supportive.

I'm glad that it's known that he's still in communication with him and the team was involved in both getting him help and allowing him his privacy. Would it have been great if they had discovered the extent of Lehner's issues sooner or had some way of transforming the situation so that he was able to rebuild himself while still in Buffalo? Sure. But from what I know of this sort of things, often it is helpful and even necessary to make changes to further break patterns.

I don't like Botterill's personnel moves and hires, but I have zero issue with how he handled the relationship with Lehner. None. In fact, it's one of the most human things (along with allowing Moulson a graceful exit) he has done and I find it admirable.

So... yeah.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Lehner was not even close to good enough as a Sabre. I'm happy he got help with his problems. And I'm happy he is gone.

My personal opinion is that Lehner isn't anything great as a goalie. Greiss' numbers are very similar to Lehner's this season. Product of the team he plays for and system he plays in.

The thing we should take from the Islanders organization is how much having management that isn't f***ing clueless that the players respect and believe in changes the product on the ice. It's called having accountability top to bottom

And Botterill blows at his job.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
The Isles must have played some great defense this year to compensate for Lehners five hole. I've never seen a goalie with that big of a weakness between his legs.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Both Botterill and Sexton give me a bad feeling, obviously it's hard to feel very positive towards them considering the results of the past 2 seasons but it's more than that. Sexton was on the WGR morning show this morning and he's very pleased how everything is going, like Botterill, he relies on cliched excuses and some psychological manipulation. When the beat reporters questioned Botterill about a potential Housley firing his nonplussed 'What? They want the coach fired?' response was to me more arrogance that obtuseness. Sexton sounded similar today about the Amerks being down 2 games to none against Toronto, totally unconcerned, things are progressing well. He and Botterill showed up here it seems with the mindset that they have 5 years to turn things around. That is a ridiculous notion in today's NHL. Both of them often sneak into their interviews what a complete disaster on and off the ice the organization was when they took over, which is an exaggeration and self-serving, it's an excuse for them. Our owners are naive but I think Botterill got a wakeup call from the Pegulas that they were on to him and Housley was fired because they turned up the heat a little.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I had a bare minimum competency to start the off-season which was to get Bryson signed and find at least one if not more quality UDFA (sounds like they have one in R2). There has been very little commentary on who they are seeking, beyond him casting a wide net as reported by Canadian hockey press columnists. Also good.

I'd very much like to be impressed with his off-season. Make some deals that are easily likable from the outset, allow me that rush of thin-slicing the return as "oh, hey, yeah!" for a change. Make deals that don't give away competitive advantages like cap or draft pick position for minimal returns -- hold those as dear. And for heaven's sake, impress me with forward acquisitions. Impress me with something. His tenure has been so fitful with a few early glimmers of doing the basics for the Amerks and just signing NHL bodies -- but since then, there has been almost nothing he's done in roster construction that I have enjoyed. Get it done, blow our socks off with execution of a clear plan that isn't simply sitting around Waiting for Godot, hockey edition.

Please.

Reactions: sabremike

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Being at the top of the AHL standings for most of the year & getting swept in the first round of the playoffs is not a success/progress neither is anything the Sabres have done as a team which can be argued is in part of keeping a HC who had no business coaching an NHL team for 2 years.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

This guy is right, it's the interview I referred to - garbage. There's a reason Randy Sexton hasn't had a sniff at an NHL GM job in decades and Botterill will be the same unless he hires a coach who saves his job next season.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
It’s a situation where Bott’s has failed in multiple team building scenarios. Fire this clown already.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Don't trust him to make roster moves, don't trust him to hire a coach.

*sigh* It's going to be a long, long off-season. I'm close to being done with this team after 49 years.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I almost lol'd at the part when Sexton mentioned culture involves having a set of expectations and standards while Botts decided going a bit over .500 post-streak to make the playoffs was mission impossible

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He should have known better than to sign/draft players that would get snakebitten in the playoffs. What was he thinking? :rolleyes:

Maybe if he had done everything in his power to make sure his AHL affiliate had all possible tools, I'd go easier on him. But thinking that Mittelstadt couldn't be paper-transaction moved to the Amerks, let alone deservedly being assigned to work on his game at the trade deadline is not an endorsement.

His culture bullshit wins nothing at any level.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Name one time you have ever seen a GM in any sport trade the first pick in any round during a draft, for a pick in the next draft in the same round, guaranteeing that pick would be lower than the pick you were giving up. It never happens. I am a sports nut and watch the NFL, NHL and some NBA draft every year. Whenever you trade a late pick for future picks, the future pick is almost always a round higher and never guaranteed to be lower. AS WAS EVIDENCED BY THE RED WINGS, 3 PICKS LATER, TRADING THE #159 PICK IN THE 2018 DRAFT FOR A 2019 5TH ROUND PICK. Lol, such a bad GM.

It may seem like a small move, but Botterill trading the first pick of the 6th round (#156) in the 2018 draft, for a 2019 6th round pick (#180) from Toronto shows just how incompetent he is.

Two years, two free agency periods, he has failed to bring in one significant piece. He was on the losing end of one of the most lopsided trades this decade. I and others have beaten this and rest of the moves to death but you get the point. He has been the driving force in a lot bad little moves and a few bad big moves. He is not good. He is bad at this. Some guys can be the best assistants but that is where they should stay. He will be gone after next season with his coach.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Maybe if he had done everything in his power to make sure his AHL affiliate had all possible tools, I'd go easier on him. But thinking that Mittelstadt couldn't be paper-transaction moved to the Amerks, let alone deservedly being assigned to work on his game at the trade deadline is not an endorsement.

His culture bull**** wins nothing at any level.
Casey just played an 82 game season and was out of gas at the end. Maybe they feel it is better for him to rest a bit and then work on his strength.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Don't trust him to make roster moves, don't trust him to hire a coach.

*sigh* It's going to be a long, long off-season. I'm close to being done with this team after 49 years.

My interest in Buffalo Sabres hockey gets less and less every single year. Doesn’t matter what they try and do, It will probably backfire in the long run. Different GM’s and coaches come and go, But us fans continue to suffer and suffer year after year. I don’t even care anymore what happens, I just want this team to start winning. I just hope For the best but expect every move to turn out for the worst

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad