Jason Botchford - Credible or Not

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
a key thing about college free agents in hutton's position are whether or not they sign an elc for this year or next. if hutton signed an elc this year it means he is unavailable to go to the comets for the playoffs and we lose a year on his ELC - meaning he's a UFA and an RFA a year earlier. if he signs an ELC for next year and a PTO for this year, he is ineligible for the NHL season but can join the comets on their playoff run

this is a pretty important detail and one that botch nailed before the contract was even announced. in a situation where most speculation was that hutton would be given the former (an elc this year), that the canucks negotiated him to the latter is significant and very important.

I will agree that was an important detail, and while he did get it correct, it may have been a guess, and the only reason I would question it is he did get the details wrong. If he admited to getting those details wrong, I would probably give him more credit on this. But now I just really don't see it as a clear he hot good information.

because it was confirmed later

if you were botchford, or any member of the media, this seems reasonable. if you're any given person, no. thats the debate at heart here. i think botch is reliable enough to be given the benefit of the doubt. i did that and i feel that my assertion was supported.

But it wasn't confirmed. All that was confirmed was that he signed. The earlier info is not really provable one way or the other.

It reminds me of the scam where I guy sends out an email to 50 people saying team X will beat team Y. He also sends out another email to 50 other people saying team y will beat team x. Either way he has 50 people saying wow.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Hutton signing a PTO was a pretty safe bet given it is standard procedure and we were already at 50 contracts when he signed.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I will agree that was an important detail, and while he did get it correct, it may have been a guess, and the only reason I would question it is he did get the details wrong. If he admited to getting those details wrong, I would probably give him more credit on this. But now I just really don't see it as a clear he hot good information.

But it wasn't confirmed. All that was confirmed was that he signed. The earlier info is not really provable one way or the other.

It reminds me of the scam where I guy sends out an email to 50 people saying team X will beat team Y. He also sends out another email to 50 other people saying team y will beat team x. Either way he has 50 people saying wow.
this is a ridiculous standard. if you were only ever going to report on things in absolute terms, the only time anyone would report on anything was when they became press releases.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
this is a ridiculous standard. if you were only ever going to report on things in absolute terms, the only time anyone would report on anything was when they became press releases.

Pretty sure that was the standard in news before Fox News took over. There have been a few movies based on true stories where the news was not true.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Pretty sure that was the standard in news before Fox News took over. There have been a few movies based on true stories where the news was not true.
Investigative reporting is a thing in sports, else you're saying Elliot Friedman and Bob Mckenzie's careers have been shams. They have reported on developing stories withuncertain-outcomes in the manner you demonize Botchford for.

As an aside, Matthew Wuest built capgeek using his inside sources to get salary info in a time when teams didn't make it available.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Investigative reporting is a thing in sports, else you're saying Elliot Friedman and Bob Mckenzie's careers have been shams. They have reported on developing stories withuncertain-outcomes in the manner you demonize Botchford for.

As an aside, Matthew Wuest built capgeek using his inside sources to get salary info in a time when teams didn't make it available.

This post confuses me.

Investigative reporting has been around longer than sports reporting. In those other sectors you need to be correct, and if not it is a big deal. Maybe I am not getting your points or misunderstanding you.

You also chose two of the most respected reporters in the industry. When was the last time either was wrong? And if they were did they admit and apologize?

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I've questioned the validity of his claims on more than one occasion (many). I'm surprised to find that its a common notion shared between all the folks at work too. Then I see his interviews on TSN (SN?) I realize his demeanor doesn't help his cause either.

I suspect he's not a very well liked guy. Ferraro seems to think so.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I've questioned the validity of his claims on more than one occasion (many). I'm surprised to find that its a common notion shared between all the folks at work too. Then I see his interviews on TSN (SN?) I realize his demeanor doesn't help his cause either.

This is pretty much how I feel.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
One doesn't necessarily make you the other. In fact, I would guess a large number of popular bloggers put entertainment ahead of credibility. That's what the people want it seems.

sorry, i should have put a sarcastic smiley in my post. the bolded part is what i was implying.

*edited

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

Ferraro dislikes anyone with an opinion about hockey who didn't play in the NHL. Period.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Ferraro dislikes anyone with an opinion about hockey who didn't play in the NHL. Period.

However, I am thoroughly engaged by the little ball of hate's analysis of his field of expertise. Angry persona aside.
I cannot say the same of Botchford. How can you be a credible insider if you are not generally liked by your peers (or audience) I wonder.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
I have to admit it, I do read The Provies. Botchford's got a gift for the kind of TMZ, People Magazine-esque sideshow gossip that I'm just a sucker for. There sure never seems to be a shortage of that sort of thing around the Canucks. Now, one can say that the reason for that is because some local "media personalities" just can't help but blow every little thing out of proportion or even - some might say - invent things out of whole cloth. Having a constant little sideshow like that provides some small amusement for fans like me but I can't help but feel it's detrimental to the team in the long run.

I still think back to the 2011 run to the Final, and the way all the reporters, all the media Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and of course Chicago and Boston made the Canucks out to be the villains in their little narrative. It hurt us, and all I could think of when it came to our own media here was "in fact it would be safe to say that they would rather SWITCH...than FIGHT!" There was certainly no "circling the wagons" going on here! Nope, it was KNIVES OUT down to the last man! [/rant]

So to sum up, entertaining, sure, sometimes, aggravating, absolutely and with reliable frequency, but credible? Never.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Yes, I have to begrudgingly admit that I read the Provies. They are juvenile, gossipy and at times trashy but I'll be damned if they aren't entertaining. It's basically the 'Jersey Shore' of hockey blogs.

If my wife gets to read Perez Hilton, then I should get to enjoy the Provies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yes, I have to begrudgingly admit that I read the Provies. They are juvenile, gossipy and at times trashy but I'll be damned if they aren't entertaining. It's basically the 'Jersey Shore' of hockey blogs.

If my wife gets to read Perez Hilton, then I should get to enjoy the Provies.

They're a guilty pleasure of mine, too. :laugh: The Provies and Canucks Army's post-game articles are my nightly post-game reads.

Alflives*

I think it's more guys, who never were players, commenting on stuff that goes on in a locker room like they know it as if they lived it too. Or they comment on the game, like they know it from a player's perspective. I think Ferraro believes Reporters should stick to evalutaion from a reporter's POV, and not anything more than that. That's why Ferraro worked so well with Rintoul. Rintoul understood his limitations and respected Ferraro's inside knowledge. Botchford was and always will step beyond what he truly can understand.

JA

June 23-24, 2009: "Gaborik Has Bought a House in Vancouver."

On June 23, 2009, Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province broke the story on Twitter and on the newspaper's White Towel blog that then-to-be-free-agent Marian Gaborik had purchased a house in Vancouver. Vancouver Canucks followers were shocked but also excited to hear this news; multiple threads on HF were posted, a BleacherReport article appeared discussing this rumor, and a buzz was generated about the player's potential deal with the Canucks.

Fans were strung along for two days, while other media insiders such as Pierre Lebrun denied the rumor. Botchford promised a follow-up report the following day.

The two blog posts can be found here:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2009/06/23/marian-gaborik-has-bought-a-house-in-vancouver/
Marian Gaborik has bought a house in Vancouver
June 23, 2009. 8:13 pm • Section: The White Towel
Posted by: Jason Botchford

Marian Gaborik has bought a house in the Vancouver area, The Province has learned.

What this means come July 1, when he is set to become an unrestricted free agent, is speculation at this point but it’s a safe bet the Slovak likes the city and could be angling for a contract here.

So far, it’s not unlike last year when Gaborik’s former Minnesota Wild linemate Pavol Demitra was seen visiting Vancouver weeks before he became a free agent. Demitra eventually signed a two-year, $8 million deal with the Canucks.

Demitra and Gaborik are close friends.

The Wild have apparently been desperately trying to keep Gaborik. Minny has replaced the coach and GM with people vowing to play the run-and-gun game Gaborik has long craved to play but never could under Jacques Lemaire.

There are plenty of questions about Gaborik. He has had a history of injuries and only played 17 games last year. In those 17 games, he scored 13 goals and put up 10 assists for 23 points.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2009/06/24/gaborik-situation-is-called-very-delicate-given-last-years-tampering-allegations-against-canucks/
Gaborik situation is called "very delicate" given last year's tampering allegations against Canucks
June 24, 2009. 8:34 pm • Section: The White Towel
Posted by: Jason Botchford

When Pavol Demitra visited the Canucks months before July 1 last year, then-Minnesota Wild GM Doug Risebrough made tampering allegations.

The league investigated and dropped the charges, but not before giving the Canucks a warning.

It’s a warning the Canucks have taken seriously. Tampering allegations are not to be messed with. The most famous case involved Scott Stevens when the St. Louis Blues tendered him an offer in 1994.

Even though the Devils matched the offer and Stevens stayed in New Jersey, a tampering investigation, which took five years, ended with the Blues getting busted. It cost them a fortune, both on the ice and off it. Try $1.4 million in cash and a first round draft pick, one the Devils could cherry pick during the next five years.

No one around Gaborik want his investment in Vancouver real estate to even hint at tampering. It’s why it shouldn’t be surprising that Gaborik’s close friend, and former teammate, Demitra apparently told CKNW Gaborik he doesn’t think Gabby has bought a house.

Demitra, having already been at the centre, understands just how serious tampering allegations could be in this case.

As someone close to the Gaborik situation said yesterday: “You are dealing with a very delicate, flammable issue here.â€

It’s worth noting that several people close to Gaborik were contacted before the story broke. None denied he had bought a house. Several said they could not comment on the story.
On June 24, 2009, Botchford commented that then-Canuck and a friend of Gaborik's, Pavol Demitra, believed Gaborik hadn't purchased a house in Vancouver. Botchford speculated that this was an attempt not to make the Canucks seem as though they were negotiating with Gaborik before July 1 of that year.

Every other source reporting on this issue denied the rumor.

Of course, the story remains infamous for being one of Botchford's great blunders. One must wonder, though, where this rumor originated. It seems like a silly story now, but it created quite a fervor within the Canucks community for a few days.

How did you react to this news, and did you believe there was any probability that this rumor was true?

Last edited by a moderator:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
it was a pretty big blunder, threw water on his credibility for a while, but its been long enough that i don't care anymore

at the time i was indifferent. didn't really have enough insight into cap mechanics to have a strong opinion

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I think he has been better in recent years...
Since he definitely has more connections within the Canucks organization nowadays.

However...
He will still pull things from his behind...
In order to make himself seem more important than he actually is.
A leopard cannot change his spots.
:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad