Jason Botchford - Credible or Not

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
J Bo is definitely entertaining. The way he talks seems like he's on mad tv and playing the character of a silly sports talk guy. I dunno.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Credible? Yes, yes he is. He's about the only media guy who asks the tough questions and doesn't ***** foot around things. He says it like it is. Tony G use to be like that but age has mellowed Tony out. Botch is a heck of a lot better than Farhan Lalji who always seems to be swinging from managements jock.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Botchford is the only member of the media in this town that doesn't softball questions and actually has the stones to call things as he sees them.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I like Botch a lot. He's tuned in, funny, and engages with his readership.

I tend to wish the tenor of his write-ups was a bit more serious, but I think that's more a reality of newspapers in 2015 than anything else. At least he's willing to ask the tough questions and is typically hard on the team about the right things, which is more than can be said for pretty much every other writer in Vancouver.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
His story reminds me a bit of current news anchor (for now) Brian Williams, who from what we can tell is about to lose his job for lying about a story. It is a major wrong in the news and media industry and I do not understand why the same standard is not place on sports.

I do find his provies entertaining, and people are right he does generally ask the best questions. But too many mistakes means he is not credible. Hell one mistake like his means most aren't credible in the news industry.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to Botch this a.m., Vrbata is in play despite being the team's MVP....figures that JB would dump his only valuable UFA signing and keep his worst, Ryan Miller.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
According to Botch this a.m., Vrbata is in play despite being the team's MVP....figures that JB would dump his only valuable UFA signing and keep his worst, Ryan Miller.

I don't think you read what he wrote correctly.

The way I interpreted what he said was purely his own speculation.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Have no idea if he's credible on this...does it make any sense to other posters?:huh:

I'm pretty sure the article you're referencing was just Botchford spitballing. He pointed out that the Canucks felt Vrbata wasn't a good fit on the top line based on some comments they made about the "perfect fit" for the Sedins. He then used that as a lead into musing about "why not trade Vrbata then?", and "what could they get if they did?"

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm pretty sure the article you're referencing was just Botchford spitballing. He pointed out that the Canucks felt Vrbata wasn't a good fit on the top line based on some comments they made about the "perfect fit" for the Sedins. He then used that as a lead into musing about "why not trade Vrbata then?", and "what could they get if they did?"

Exactly. It's a valid point/question to make/ask. If he's not going to be used on the top line we may as well trade him and get a nice return. We have enough young players who can handle 2nd line minutes.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Exactly. It's a valid point/question to make/ask. If he's not going to be used on the top line we may as well trade him and get a nice return. We have enough young players who can handle 2nd line minutes.

I disagree. I think he can play big minutes while being on the second line. Power play minutes add up too. The problem with him on the second isn't him, it's Bonino. I don't think Bonino is good enough to be in that role. Very useful player but I think he needs to drop down a slot to be more effective. Canucks don't have the personnel to be giving away natural scorers like Vrbata. He's an absolute class 1A goal scorer, reads the goalies and reacts to them, unbelievable patience, unbelievable hockey IQ, great hands, he's the total package.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I disagree. I think he can play big minutes while being on the second line. Power play minutes add up too. The problem with him on the second isn't him, it's Bonino. I don't think Bonino is good enough to be in that role. Very useful player but I think he needs to drop down a slot to be more effective. Canucks don't have the personnel to be giving away natural scorers like Vrbata. He's an absolute class 1A goal scorer, reads the goalies and reacts to them, unbelievable patience, unbelievable hockey IQ, great hands, he's the total package.

For me, it comes down to where we see this team. I personally don't see this team doing anything as long as the Sedin twins are our main weapon. We have got to get young, faster and tougher. We need to seriously start thinking about making bold moves so we can free up cap space/roster spots and add prospects/picks to the pool. I absolutely would trade Vrbata. As well as a few other players. The time is now. This Canucks team is done being a contender with this core. Hanging onto players like Vrbata is a waste of an asset.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Were I the GM, yes I would trade him as well, but I'm making my decision based on what the current staff wants to do. They say "we want to make the playoffs". So, if that's what you want to do, you keep Vrbata.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Were I the GM, yes I would trade him as well, but I'm making my decision based on what the current staff wants to do. They say "we want to make the playoffs". So, if that's what you want to do, you keep Vrbata.

What they really mean is " We want to make money". That's all this is about. We'll see how their tune changes next year when there are even more empty seats than there were this year because fans are sick of the BS. The empty playoff seats this year should have been an alarm bell going off for them. People are too well connected these days. We aren't as in the dark as we use to be. We all know whats happening, even if management thinks we don't. This ship is sinking, sinking fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad