Jason Akeson

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Was a thread about him awhile ago. Decided to make a new one.

Overager for Kitchener, leads CHL in assists and point, he's really been great this year.

Unlike Kitcheners star overager last year MacKinnon who couldn't get a contract an left for University, He will definitely get a contract.

He's an excellent skater, quite fast and really swift. He's average sized and sees the ice extremly well. No slouch defensively or along the boards and can play center or RW.

He can't be drafted any more, but I expect he'll be highly sought after free agent.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Yeah, a player that talented should definitely be able to play pro.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think he'll end up in Ottawa with Landeskog. He's really good.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I grew up with jason. Played soccer and hockey with him. Went to high school with him... The thing is he's small. Very skilled, and a good skater, but small. He doesn't like the rough stuff and would need to get used to going into the corners with big 200+ lbs bodies. That being said, he was always kind of thick for a small guy...think st louis. He is strong enough, but he needs to play stronger.

Also the listed 5'10, 190 on hockeydb is false. More like 5'8-5'9, 175.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Also the listed 5'10, 190 on hockeydb is false. More like 5'8-5'9, 175.

I disagree, I'm 5-10 1/2" and the times I met him we're basically the same height.
btw....his height in the Ranger site is 5'-11" and when comparing him to other players during the anthem his height of 5'10 to 5'11" seems correct.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I disagree, I'm 5-10 1/2" and the times I met him we're basically the same height.
btw....his height in the Ranger site is 5'-11" and when comparing him to other players during the anthem his height of 5'10 to 5'11" seems correct.

I'm 5'11 and am a good 2 inches taller than him. We weigh about the same as he is a bit thicker. All heights and weights are exagerated. They had lalime at 6'3...i met him and he's no taller than 6'1,which is still fairly tall. Alfredsson was the same height as me when i was 14 and 5'9. He's listed at 5'11.

Met redden three times. He's about an inch taller than me at 6'0...not his listed 6'2.

My buddy from highschool plays university football...he's 6ft, 179 lbs(iirc)...listed at 6'2,205. We were actually at my gf's house, and went to the point of measuring his height and weight after he told/showed us his listed size.

Every sport lize about size...especially for the smaller players like jason akeson.

I'm 5'11,175...seems small by nhl standards...but i have no doubt if i was in the nhl, i'd be listed around atleast 6'0,195. Atleast.

People may disagree with me, but i'm sure many have met nhl players and said "they aren't that big" after going home and looking at the stats.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
twice.

bit sad he signed with philly, you have to think that if ottawa gave him a decent offer, he wouldve signed with us. He's from ottawa, the sens have very few good forward prospects, and many open forward roster spots. He could've been playing in the NHL at the end of this season depending on how far the rangers go, and couldve been playing in the AHL playoffs.

ronnyweed

Aug 7, 2008
Ontario
twice.

bit sad he signed with philly, you have to think that if ottawa gave him a decent offer, he wouldve signed with us. He's from ottawa, the sens have very few good forward prospects, and many open forward roster spots. He could've been playing in the NHL at the end of this season depending on how far the rangers go, and couldve been playing in the AHL playoffs.

ya not sure I understand why he would sign for the team he will have the hardest time cracking the lineup for many years to come, enjoy the AHL Jason

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
ya not sure I understand why he would sign for the team he will have the hardest time cracking the lineup for many years to come, enjoy the AHL Jason

True...but maybe from his point-of view the Adirondack Phantoms could also be one of the easiest line-ups to make.
Play well and make a name for yourself then when your contract is up you can have better chance of signing with a team that needs him in the NHL.
Besides his real battle is to win a job in the AHL then the NHL

In other words..........short term pain for long term gain.
Unless you are a very high draft pick a player is usually 3+/- years away anyways.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
True...but maybe from his point-of view the Adirondack Phantoms could also be one of the easiest line-ups to make.
Play well and make a name for yourself then when your contract is up you can have better chance of signing with a team that needs him in the NHL.
Besides his real battle is to win a job in the AHL then the NHL

In other words..........short term pain for long term gain.
Unless you are a very high draft pick a player is usually 3+/- years away anyways.

sign with any NHL club opens the door to training camp from there you do your best if you are sent to AHL you put up good numbers and if the NHL team does not need you another club will come calling and asking for you in a trade.

there is nothing wrong with signing with a NHL club how many OA have to go to School to continue playing hockey? Not many get a contract. Good luck hope he does well. I like watching NHL players make it that i watched in the OHL.

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
It makes perfect sense to sign with Philly. It is pretty clear that their prospect pool is pretty shallow, he could easily be top3 in that pool right now, where as in Ottawa he would be mid pack. Philly doesn't really have any top forward prospects, Jason might be #1.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
yeah, but ottawa has 3 forward spots completely wide open next year (7 signed forwards + Butler and Smith RFA), and after 2011 1st round pick, akeson would probably be the favorite.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
yeah, but ottawa has 3 forward spots completely wide open next year (7 signed forwards + Butler and Smith RFA), and after 2011 1st round pick, akeson would probably be the favorite.

You have him playing in the NHL next year?

He signed with a winning organization, who also has no hurry/rush put on their prospects.

Wow, Okay, i was just reading another thread on this topic and i decided to go look and see who was leading the OHL in point at the moment, so i go look, and im like wow who is this nobody akeson that i've never heard of leading, so i'm like okay i'll make a thread, so i click back, and boom, this thread appears... that was... odd.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
True....but there's a wee small window (1 week?) after his first draft that a undrafted player can sign with an NHL club.
This happened this past NHL draft with the Rangers Andrew Crescenzi.

I believe the window is open until the end of September (or sometime just before the end).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00