Jason Akeson

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
How do people "know" he is an AHLer? He's played 21 games at the NHL level, 9 of which this season weren't even over 10 minutes

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah...I don't like this move considering we have VDV still kicking around.

He played well with Couts and Read in the playoffs...then never got another sniff with them this year.

If we are going to suck, why not bench Vinny or a Umberger for a bit and actually see if Akeson can be more than expected?

Hate this love affair with VDV.

Reality is, when he got top 6 minutes in his career, he had:

5 points in 9 games and was +1

This year on the 4th line he has 0 points in 12 games and is -1.

And VDV has 3 points in 14 games and is -5 while getting some shifts with Giroux and Jake.

Last edited:

member 30781

Most people don't really know Akeson's game or just how much potential he actually has because he was never given a fair shake.

He can surprise you, but sticking on the 4th line just won't help him or his game grow.

I know he was just waived, but Berube really does need to give him a chance.

http://thehockeywriters.com/give-akeson-a-shot/

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
How do people "know" he is an AHLer? He's played 21 games at the NHL level, 9 of which this season weren't even over 10 minutes

Yeah, I'm confused by the confidence people are proclaiming him an AHLer.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I just don't know where people realistically expected us to put him at ES. I mean yeah maybe he should have been used on the second PP unit (not that he would have turned it into anything more than it is now). Other guys like Schenn, Raffl, & Bellemare worked their way up the line up & found a home (more so the first two than the latter) leaving no opportunities available.

At the end of the day I really don't see the big deal we got a significant upgrade over Akeson & VV in Laughton. He can play in all situations as well as up & down the lineup.

tytech

Jan 4, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Sharp 2.0

We'll regret this one. Never had a fair chance. Actually, he did get some chances last year and produced. Never had a fair chance thereafter.

Mylec 22

Jun 2, 2010
Sharp 2.0

We'll regret this one. Never had a fair chance. Actually, he did get some chances last year and produced. Never had a fair chance thereafter.

I absolutely agree with this. He showed a lot of promise late last year. Poor handling of this player. I hope he gets a shot somewhere else.

RJ8812*

Sharp 2.0

While I think the move is a big mistake, I dont think he'll ever be as good as Sharp.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Throw me into the camp of him not getting a fair chance....but I don't think a Sharp like caree is in his future either.

He was over a PPG in 3 years in the OHL-tied for scoring once as an OA
He was on pace for 69 points over 3 years in the AHL.
He had even gotten sent down to the ECHL to work on defense...he did.
He had 2 regular season games in a top 6 role...2 points.
He played on a shutdown line in the playoffs...3 points in 7 games

So what do you do witha OHL scoring leader and AHL team scoring leader?

Put him on the 4th line and give him 6-8 minutes a game of course.

We all SAID...he is not a depth guy...he needs to play with skill. So not surprising that he hasn't performed.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Sharp 2.0

It's not the same situation. Sharp was an every-day NHLer with lots of promise who was stuck behind strong competition.

Sharp was a victim of the numbers game. Akeson is a victim of his own inconsistency and Berube ... to a certain degree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad