Jason Akeson

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's definitely time to trade or demote him now that Raffl is fit and VdV is seemingly the 13th forward.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Who do you propose we should take out of our top 6 so he can play with better players?

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Couturier - Read

We don't have the ability to move him up the lineup & he isn't good enough to play in the bottom of our lineup. Laughton's now another player who's come in & quickly supplanted Akeson for a spot in the lineup.

Akeson can play no worse than Matt Read. Thing is though, Bellemare and Raffl can play even better than Akeson. When Raffl is back, Read should be moved down the lineup in favor of Raffl and Akeson can be sent back to LHV.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Akeson can play no worse than Matt Read. Thing is though, Bellemare and Raffl can play even better than Akeson. When Raffl is back, Read should be moved down the lineup in favor of Raffl and Akeson can be sent back to LHV.

Read has shown much more than Akeson, even at Read's worse.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Akeson's been just as worse. He also doesn't deserve the benefit of doubt over Read given their track records.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Anyone think he gets claimed ? Guys like TJ Galliardi clear, but I think a budget team is gonna take a shot on him ?

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
He did look good with G in limited time (as would Read), but Berube wants a big body ...

With Vinny he (and any other prospect) had no chance.

Hopefully he gets a shot elsewhere.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
What kind of style does he bring? Would he be better then Zach Sill on the 4th line?

He's a finesse player. He has good hands & a decent playmaker but that's basically where it stops. Everything else is pretty much average to below average with him on top of not being the biggest of guys on the ice.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
What kind of style does he bring? Would he be better then Zach Sill on the 4th line?

Small guy, good passer, above average defensively, not very physical, not very fast and a shot that isn't anything special.

I don't know much about Zach Sill, but probably.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Akeson is not above average defensively. This a Ryan Potulny situation. Does well at the lower levels but doesn't have the physical tools for the NHL.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Akeson is not above average defensively. This a Ryan Potulny situation. Does well at the lower levels but doesn't have the physical tools for the NHL.

He was behind a bunch of players on the Flyers' PK depth chart but was a PKer in the AHL. There are worse options (Umberger).

RJ8812*

how would you know that? When he played on a legit line during the playoffs last year, he was one of our best forwards. This year Berube stuck him on the 4th line and offered him no PP time

I'm not trying to say that Akeson will turn into a legit NHLer, but he wasn't given a proper chance to show what he can offer.

I know I would rather see him out there than Lecavalier and Umberger

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He was behind a bunch of players on the Flyers' PK depth chart but was a PKer in the AHL. There are worse options (Umberger).

He wasn't used last year on the PK neither. The Flyers have used a heavy rotation this year & he still wasn't used.

There's plenty of guys who play on special team unit's in the minors but can't at the NHL level so that really has no barring here. Blair Jones is one of the Phantoms top PKers yet when he was up here he was a rather average at best PKer for example.

If Akeson's used anymore than just filling in for a shift or two every once & a while on your PK then your team likely isn't a very good defensive team upfront.

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'm not as outraged at Berube as a lot of people here, but I am really dissapointed with his treatment of Akeson. He never got a fair shot this season even with other forwards who struggled. Also, when he did dress not giving him time on PP2 is just unacceptable.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Probably Berube's first victim. If he goes on to anything elsewhere, however unlikely, Berube is to blame. He is certainly no worse than Vinny or Umberger, let alone superstar double V.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad