Friedman: Jaroslav Halak is available

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It makes no sense STK. The 3 goalie rotation has never been successful as far I could remember. You're right though. If they were that high on Berube then they should be playing him more.

I honestly can't remember the last time another team had a three goalie rotation. At least not for as long as the Isles have had this one going on.

It just seems to add drama when the payoff (ie. not potentially losing Berube) is so small.

Knowing Snow, he wants to get rid of Halak for not liking the threw goalie system (which Halak is right about).

Honestly, I think Snow's been trying to move Halak for a while, but knows that Halak has to keep playing at the NHL if he hopes to move the contract. And Greiss has been the Islanders' best performing goaltender for the past year+ so he of course gets to play as well, and that leaves Berube as the odd man out until Snow can get someone to bite on Halak.

At some point, that strategy just becomes more of a distraction than anything. It's one thing if the three goalie rotation only started this off-season, but it was carried over into the season because Snow's having trouble finding a trading partner. It's another when they went through this thing all of last year as well.

I guess beyond the drama associated with it in a general sense, I also don't know why Snow's so obsessed with making sure Berube isn't lost on waivers. Is he really that good? And if he is, why not bury Halak in the minors until a deal can be made (like Winnipeg with Pavelec) and play Berube?

For a player that's supposedly worth all this controversy, they certainly don't seem to have any interest in actually playing him (Berube).

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I honestly can't remember the last time another team had a three goalie rotation. At least not for as long as the Isles have had this one going on.

It just seems to add drama when the payoff (ie. not potentially losing Berube) is so small.

At some point, that strategy just becomes more of a distraction than anything. It's one thing if the three goalie rotation only started this off-season, but it was carried over into the season because Snow's having trouble finding a trading partner. It's another when they went through this thing all of last year as well.

I guess beyond the drama associated with it in a general sense, I also don't know why Snow's so obsessed with making sure Berube isn't lost on waivers. Is he really that good? And if he is, why not bury Halak in the minors until a deal can be made (like Winnipeg with Pavelec) and play Berube?

For a player that's supposedly worth all this controversy, they certainly don't seem to have any interest in actually playing him (Berube).
I agree with your last point : if Berube is that good, he have to play, otherwise, it's pretty strange. I hope the Isles trade pretty soon Halak, he would be the one I'll let go.
But it seems the pens have the same situation with Condon? It seems they look to trade him, not waived him.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
While Berube is probably happy with getting a NHL paycheck there is no way he can be happy with his situation. Three goalies is just ridiculous at any level. There are two nets so therefore two goalies are going to be shafted no matter what. In Berube's case he is extra shafted because he barely gets any games. 7 games played in the NHL + 5 games in the AHL all of last season. His future earnings right now are going down with each game passing by.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I agree with your last point : if Berube is that good, he have to play, otherwise, it's pretty strange. I hope the Isles trade pretty soon Halak, he would be the one I'll let go.
But it seems the pens have the same situation with Condon? It seems they look to trade him, not waived him.

I don't think it's close to the same situation for two reasons:

1-Murray was injured for all but the last two games for the Pens. So at most, the Pens have had a 3 goalie rotation for two games. That's a heck of a lot shorter than how long Snow has kept the Isles' 3 goalie rotation going. Keeping 3 goalies for about a week or so isn't comparable to the potential disruption of keeping 3 goalies for well over a full season now.

2-Condon's likely not going to stick around long. Either JR gets something in a trade, or he waives him. I'd be very surprised to see the Pens carry three goalies on their roster for the entire season.

Additionally to the above, Condon is the clear cut #3. Neither Fleury or Murray are going to lose out on playing time or practice time to him. That doesn't seem to be the case with Berube. He hasn't played, but it sounds like (based on the complaints of both Walsh and Halak) that all three guys get turns in practice. That's never going to be the case in Pittsburgh, where Condon actively steals any practice time Fleury or Murray should get.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Canes are a playoff contender with a good goalie. Hope Francis can make a deal happen.

Your dream can come true
Isles can make you happy
without return
you can have him for free
cap relief should be enough for Isles
Happy Islesgiving

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

I don't know if Berube's actually worth the effort, but my point was more that I don't think the reason he's not playing isn't a lack of interest in playing him from management, and more that if you put a $4m/year player in the AHL, you're never moving that contract without paying to do so.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Wow. Five responses to a mistake made in a post a random person made on the internet, one being a "you're" correction. I'd be crusty aswell if Anderson was my goalie. Lol

Hey, i'm no Sens fan, but i don't think they are that crusty about it....

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If he is to be dealt, Arizona is probably best match. Have cap space, lots of prospects and needing a starter now. Isles can take on 2018 1st round, a forward prospect preferably a RW or a RH center.

The 3 goalie system is not fair to any of the goalies. They need to have this worked out soon, either Halak or Berube has to go.

LA or Dallas would also be a good target but not sure what they would do with the goalie they already got unless there is another team involved.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Berube to the Kings for a 4th

Jaro and a 4th for Miller
Jaro to stars for Valerie nishkanin
To Colorado for varlamov( isles add)
To pitt for Fleury when Murray is healthy(isles add)
To Colorado for

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Well we could take an okay backup like Hutchinson and just waive him to go to Bridgeport. But yeah, we can't take a guy like Niemi or Lehtonen from Dallas. That solves nothing.

jaro 4.5 minus zatkoff 9oo k would bring the net salary of halak down to 3.4 .

maybe the isles could eat 1 mill and get that down to 2.4 but by doing l.a that favor they'd need a bit more than just zatkoff whom they'd have to immediately waive anyways .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad