News Article: Jaromir Jagr compliments Montreal Canadiens fans attitude, loyalty/passion for Habs

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
iirc there were some iffy calls and bad bounces that game. The fans threw stuff on the ice, and the refs threatened to call a penalty for it.

I also recall being awarded 2 nobel prizes earlier that day so the win was just icing on the cake.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
By far the move that has pissed me off over the years about bergevin, not signing jagr when he said he wanted to come here. He would be such a fan favorite beating all those records and he would be such a good mentor for galchenyuk, gallagher and all of the otber younger players

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Snubbing Jagr and signing a washed up Briere.. The first of many questionable decisions from MB.

Beige GOAT

****ing Berge..............

bergevin-e1458050022800.jpg

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Almost as bad as signing Paranteau and then buying him out. MT totally misused him, 17 goaks playing for the leafs. where would he be in our group with 17 goals? unfortunately hevwould never get 17 goals playing our system.
Didn't sign PAP. Traded Briere's last contract year for 2 more of PAP, who was then bought out. ****** Briere, the gift that keeps on giving, with one more year to go.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I wonder if Bergevin hated Jagr as a player. It may be that he got bodychecked by Jagr or showboated by him.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It makes me laugh that people ***** on Bergevin for not signing Jagr when 3/4 of this place didn't even want to sign him back in 2012. Too old, bad attitude and too much money were the main concern. Just not worth the riak was the words used around here. This was the era when people were drinking the character koolaid given by Bergevin and we didn't need those talented players.

It makes me laugh to read those that make it sound like Jagr in Montreal was a done deal at any point in history and Montreal just dropped the ball when it had a chance.

Where is this urban myth coming from? On more than one occasion, Jagr used Montreal as a potential destination to sign a higher paid mercenary contract.

Most years, as a mercenary that looked for the best paying contract, Jagr, after a decent regular season run, was MIA in the playoffs. reason to wonder if Jar was a solution? Absolutely.

Posters who think their hindsight gives them 20/20 vision are a dime a dozen.

Where Jagr could've been truly useful is if he had helped progress a youngster during the regular season to a level that never tapered off afterwards. However, there is no way to know if that would have even happened...

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Even if Jagr signed with Montreal, which I would not bet on happening, that is gar from a guarantee to win the Cup. It's going to take a lot more than adding one superstar.

Obviously, but it's frustrating that Montreal never made an offer for him. Rumour is that Jagr wanted to play in Montreal for the last 5 years. He's been good each of those seasons, and would have really helped the team.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
...the goaltender who wore #20

Wouldn't this have been something...I always forget about those early 80's Habs teams but they still had Lafleur, Robinson...add in Tretiak and that could have really been something.

...but then maybe that would have blocked Roy in '86...:sarcasm:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
It makes me laugh to read those that make it sound like Jagr in Montreal was a done deal at any point in history and Montreal just dropped the ball when it had a chance.

Where is this urban myth coming from? On more than one occasion, Jagr used Montreal as a potential destination to sign a higher paid mercenary contract.

Most years, as a mercenary that looked for the best paying contract, Jagr, after a decent regular season run, was MIA in the playoffs. reason to wonder if Jar was a solution? Absolutely.

Posters who think their hindsight gives them 20/20 vision are a dime a dozen.

Where Jagr could've been truly useful is if he had helped progress a youngster during the regular season to a level that never tapered off afterwards. However, there is no way to know if that would have even happened...

So true. Until MB, Jagr, or someone close who was involved with his status confirms it, it is all speculation and mythology. We don't know what kind of contracts were discussed, and who made the decisions.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
So true. Until MB, Jagr, or someone close who was involved with his status confirms it, it is all speculation and mythology. We don't know what kind of contracts were discussed, and who made the decisions.
Exactly, who knows, an offer may have been made. I remember hearing that Pittsburgh had made some type of offer at one point, not big bucks though. I'm sure Boston would have liked to bring back Iginla too but these guys still want to paid because they can still play.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Wouldn't this have been something...I always forget about those early 80's Habs teams but they still had Lafleur, Robinson...add in Tretiak and that could have really been something.

...but then maybe that would have blocked Roy in '86...:sarcasm:
I've thought of that but from what I have read I don't know how many more years Tretiak would have played even if he had been allowed to come over. Playing for Red Army was a life away from family and he was getting tired of that. What a mentor to have ( he must have helped Belfour and Hasek in Chicago).

Maverik

Oct 26, 2006
If you had been a Habs fan that year, you'd know the crowd kept cheering for the team even when down 5-0. You could hear "Go Habs Go" (which never happens anymore at the BC), and people cheer on scoring chances.

I remember that game semi-vividly.. I NEVER go out to watch games with friend.. but that one time, I was at the Cage with buddies. What started as a boring night and boring game turned out to be one of the funnest game and we got out of there drunk AF as the pitchers kept coming when the comeback was mounting.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
It makes me laugh that people ***** on Bergevin for not signing Jagr when 3/4 of this place didn't even want to sign him back in 2012. Too old, bad attitude and too much money were the main concern. Just not worth the riak was the words used around here. This was the era when people were drinking the character koolaid given by Bergevin and we didn't need those talented players.

I totally agree. I distinctly remember maybe 3-4 people aggressively arguing in favor of Jagr (to which I agreed with them then and still do) as well as 90% of the fans saying exactly what you just did, that he's old finished etc etc etc. Now people want to **** on MB for not signing him :laugh: I'm all for ******** on MB, but let's not pretend the majority of the Habs forum wanted him here. The majority was against it and I distinctly remember some guy with a Jagr type forum name being one of his biggest supporters here, one of the few.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

It wasn't humanly possible to sign Jagr, this isn't playstation! Bergevin has done nothing but acquire elite forward talent for years, people need to chill out with Jagr.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Stop being so likeable Jagr.

Crazy how Jagr could have help this team, in so many aspects. Great veteran, cup winner, playoffs performer, good mentor for the young players and still capable for 25g+/30a+. Would have been great next to Plekanec or Galchenyuk. Best european hockey in history wanted to play for the best team in history and the jackass GM said thanks but no thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad