News Article: Jaromir Jagr compliments Montreal Canadiens fans attitude, loyalty/passion for Habs

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
I believe Jaromir Jagr likes Montreal - shame the Habs GM never does :)

Jagr got his 1,111th assist and 1,856th point on Barkov's goal. The capacity crowd cheered when his assist was announced.

"Montreal, it's a big hockey town," Jagr said. "It's always special to play here. The people love hockey, they love their Canadiens team no matter what the score is.

"I remember when I was playing for [the] New York Rangers; we had a 5-0 lead after 30 minutes and the fans were still cheering. I couldn't believe it, because if this one would happen in Madison Square Garden everybody would have left and [been] booing us. And it was the biggest surprise ever and they came back and they won 6-5.

"But when they were down 5-0 and every time they have a shot on the net people go nuts, in that moment it was telling me the most about the fans here."

https://www.nhl.com/news/florida-panthers-defeat-montreal-canadiens/c-279648796?tid=279601672

incognito Burrito*

Would be great if he came here, but our ****** team will likely push him to retirement.

I also can't see him leaving Florida. He's playing well, the team is playing well and he gets his money.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
I was at the Bell Center yesterday with my girlfriend and every time the announcer would mention 'Jaromir Jagr', the fans would always cheer. Hopefully, Bergevin learns his lesson and gets him in the off-season. With how well he's playing right now, I'm sure he has at least 1-2 more years and would be a great model for Galchenyuk and pretty much any up-and-coming forward.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
It makes me laugh that people ***** on Bergevin for not signing Jagr when 3/4 of this place didn't even want to sign him back in 2012. Too old, bad attitude and too much money were the main concern. Just not worth the riak was the words used around here. This was the era when people were drinking the character koolaid given by Bergevin and we didn't need those talented players.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Bergevin is Jagr-averse. Because Jagr is the antithesis of the ideal he and Therrien have made together. Skilled, former champion, and not "humble" like real superstars like Desharnais.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It makes me laugh that people ***** on Bergevin for not signing Jagr when 3/4 of this place didn't even want to sign him back in 2012. Too old, bad attitude and too much money were the main concern. Just not worth the riak was the words used around here. This was the era when people were drinking the character koolaid given by Bergevin and we didn't need those talented players.

You're probably right that back in 2012 most of us assumed a then 40-year-old Jagr was too old. But GMs have access to professional scouting and information that none of us here have. Boston, NJ and Florida considered him an asset. It's a fair question to wonder why Bergevin passed when Jagr appears to fit our needs, and has existing chemistry with Plekanec. On the surface it's a missed opportunity.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Two players who I would have liked to see in a Montreal Canadiens jersey...

68 and the goaltender who wore #20

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Its a shame this LEGEND didn't get inked by the Canadiens.

He would have been a great leader on this team, teaching the ropes to our young core of leaders like he is doing right now in FLA. Not to mention the offense......

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
"But when they were down 5-0 and every time they have a shot on the net people go nuts, in that moment it was telling me the most about the fans here."

I think that was sarcasm from the crowd lol.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
jrabk8.jpg

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Huge mistake on every level...

Would've been great mentor for Galch & other young skill guys
Would've been great for our pp
Would've been great for marketing dept
Would've been great for international/Europe brand
Would've been great for our biggest need (top 6 W talent)

And he wanted to play here
And he had proven chemistry with Pleks
And he has the personality, and pedigree, to handle Mtl media/fan pressure

About as no brainer a signing as you could get.

MB made no attempt to sign him.

Nuff said

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I think that was sarcasm from the crowd lol.

If you had been a Habs fan that year, you'd know the crowd kept cheering for the team even when down 5-0. You could hear "Go Habs Go" (which never happens anymore at the BC), and people cheer on scoring chances.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The year Jagr returned from Europe to the NHL, there were 4 or 5 threads discussing us signing him. There was a guy who's his brother or posing as his brother who was saying how much he wanted to play here. My belief is that Jagr's team had a potential deal in place with the Habs but signed elsewhere. I think he's been untouchable since then. Just my opinion.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

You bet.

I was at the draft in 1983...

Le Club de Hockey Canadien est fier de selectioner...

The roar that went up in the crowd.

A shame that politics were the only thing that stood in the way of another legend donning the uniform.

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
To all those saying we should have signed him, no thank you. He doesn't fit our dumbass system like he does in Florida. Montreal would have ruined him and imo he would have flopped here.

Imagine the impact he'd have on Galchenyuk though, wow. What could have been.

missthenet

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Snubbing Jagr and signing a washed up Briere.. The first of many questionable decisions from MB.

Almost as bad as signing Paranteau and then buying him out. MT totally misused him, 17 goaks playing for the leafs. where would he be in our group with 17 goals? unfortunately hevwould never get 17 goals playing our system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad