Jarome Iginla's Hunt For Lord Stanley

hageattack

Mar 20, 2013
Calgary
Watched the game and I really believe that the Iggy-Malkin-Neal line was the best line for the Pens today. That being said, I don't know if that case would be the same if Crosby didn't get injured. But then maybe we would've seen Iggy and Crosby on the same line for a couple shifts. Man, I felt so weird seeing Iggy in a blue uniform. I'm incredibly upset that he's not here anymore. Calgary lost so much more than a hockey player. I would do anything to see him back next year. Please Pittsburgh, win the cup!!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
No question that it's going to take Iginla some time to adjust. His entire playing career has seen him be the go to guy on the ice and now, all of a sudden, he's not. And moreover, a new system, a new position and a whole new environment mean there's going to a learning curve. But I have no doubt that once Iginla gets settled, he'll be terrific.

Some comments on the game:

@markhmasters: Neal on LW Iginla: "I asked him if he wanted to play the right during the game & he said, 'Am I playing that bad that you want to switch?'"

@markhmasters: Iginla: 'It was hard to calm the excitement & nerves, but it got better as the night went on'

@markhmasters: Iginla on Neal offering to switch wings: 'I think he was feeling bad for me there in the 1st, I was a little lost'

@markhmasters: Can Iginla compare this game to anything else?: 'The closest thing to it is my 1st game, literally all the way back to when I was 18'

Last edited:

GeorgeCostanza

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Iggy seemed to have a lot of fun getting to play with Neal and Malkin. Had the biggest smile on his face during all his interviews. Loving his personality here. :)

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Guys, I was at the game today, and I don't know if this will make you feel better or worse, but Jarome got a lot of love from the crowd today. The place went nuts when he came out in warm-ups, and it never really stopped.

While we all weren't at the game today, I can assure there's a city out west that went nuts when he came out in the warm-ups and never really stopped either :)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Spoken like a fan in Canuck territory......There is a bigger picture here.
really? does Iginla winning with Pittsburgh help the Flames? No it doesn't. I love the Flames and have always hated the Penguins to an irrational degree, why should I switch up who I cheer for 1 player?

Before Iginla was traded I saw lots of instances where people said they would cheer for Iginla anywhere but Vancouver, do you tell them that there is a bigger picture? Nope, you don't. Get over yourself and stop telling other people how to cheer.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I was at the game earlier today. Here's a few thoughts.

1) Pittsburgh loves Iggy. By far the loudest pop in the arena, even more than when Crosby got on the ice or when Malkin was announced as the starter. There was a deafening roar when he was officially introduced as a member of the Pens.

2) Iggy definitely looked nervous in the first period. He was crossing up with Neal a lot and they were getting in each other's way. I really attribute this to Bylsma's tinkering. In the end, I think Kunitz is going to go to the Malkin line and then Dupuis will shift over to Crosby's left while Iggy goes to the RW. Anyways, after the first period, Iggy looked a lot more comfortable and started making a lot of plays with Geno/Neal. The shift right before Grabner got the breakaway, they dominated and wore the Isles down. If Bylsma doesn't change that line, those guys pretty much owned everything within 20 feet of the net cycling. It will be an exciting line to watch for damn sure.

3) It was interesting to see Iggy was doing a lot of observing while skating at what Malkin/Neal were doing. A few times he looked almost mesmerized at Geno/Neal blowing past people or creating the space they did. It was almost as if he wasn't used to it and had to process it. As the game went on, he looked better and better. He was taking a lot of direction from Geno/Neal and communicating really good verbally with them before faceoffs and while cycling. Just seemed really eager to do whatever it took to fit in/win.

4) The guy has an infectious smile. Really lit up several times smiling and laughing. It was great to see him happy. He's already my wife's favorite Pen now. He was named the 3rd star of the game and came jogging out through the tunnel with a big smile and laughing. Amazing to think he only arrived in the burgh 12 hours earlier.

5) It's no wonder why you guys hold Iggy in such high regard. He's not only a great player but he seems like a really good person. Not only do I want the Pens to win a cup for selfish reasons because they're my team, but I also want to see Iggy skating with the cup, and also bring it back to Calgary in the summer time. I feel if the Pens win the cup, Pittsburgh isn't the only city that will be celebrating. Calgary has every right to claim the Pens as their team as long as Iggy is playing here.

Let's do this!

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
really? does Iginla winning with Pittsburgh help the Flames? No it doesn't. I love the Flames and have always hated the Penguins to an irrational degree, why should I switch up who I cheer for 1 player?

Before Iginla was traded I saw lots of instances where people said they would cheer for Iginla anywhere but Vancouver, do you tell them that there is a bigger picture? Nope, you don't. Get over yourself and stop telling other people how to cheer.

You need to get over yourself, and let your petty biases go. Vancouver on the other hand is anything but petty. :naughty:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Pittsburgh report on Iginla's debut. Some starstruck Pens.

Once Iginla settled at his stall between Tanner Glass and James Neal, teammates would walk up to him one at a time to introduce themselves, some unabashedly fan-like.

“I'm sitting here looking across the room and thinking, ‘Man, that's Jarome Iginla!'” defenseman Matt Niskanen recalled. “I mean, when you're on a team with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, you might not think that would happen. But that's Jarome Iginla."

http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/3748861-74/iginla-neal-kovacevic#axzz2P5nN89D9

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I was at the game earlier today. Here's a few thoughts.

1) Pittsburgh loves Iggy. By far the loudest pop in the arena, even more than when Crosby got on the ice or when Malkin was announced as the starter. There was a deafening roar when he was officially introduced as a member of the Pens.

2) Iggy definitely looked nervous in the first period. He was crossing up with Neal a lot and they were getting in each other's way. I really attribute this to Bylsma's tinkering. In the end, I think Kunitz is going to go to the Malkin line and then Dupuis will shift over to Crosby's left while Iggy goes to the RW. Anyways, after the first period, Iggy looked a lot more comfortable and started making a lot of plays with Geno/Neal. The shift right before Grabner got the breakaway, they dominated and wore the Isles down. If Bylsma doesn't change that line, those guys pretty much owned everything within 20 feet of the net cycling. It will be an exciting line to watch for damn sure.

3) It was interesting to see Iggy was doing a lot of observing while skating at what Malkin/Neal were doing. A few times he looked almost mesmerized at Geno/Neal blowing past people or creating the space they did. It was almost as if he wasn't used to it and had to process it. As the game went on, he looked better and better. He was taking a lot of direction from Geno/Neal and communicating really good verbally with them before faceoffs and while cycling. Just seemed really eager to do whatever it took to fit in/win.

4) The guy has an infectious smile. Really lit up several times smiling and laughing. It was great to see him happy. He's already my wife's favorite Pen now. He was named the 3rd star of the game and came jogging out through the tunnel with a big smile and laughing. Amazing to think he only arrived in the burgh 12 hours earlier.

5) It's no wonder why you guys hold Iggy in such high regard. He's not only a great player but he seems like a really good person. Not only do I want the Pens to win a cup for selfish reasons because they're my team, but I also want to see Iggy skating with the cup, and also bring it back to Calgary in the summer time. I feel if the Pens win the cup, Pittsburgh isn't the only city that will be celebrating. Calgary has every right to claim the Pens as their team as long as Iggy is playing here.

Let's do this!

It's gonna take him awhile to get used to playing with people with actual skill.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
A few thoughts on Iginla and his role on the Pens.

He should not be on Malkin's wing generally, he needs to be paired with Crosby. You NEED someone to do the dirty work and asking a guy like Neal or Iggy to do that is a waste.

Elite center, elite wing, guy to create havoc, work the corners, do the dirty work. That is the ideal set up. And the Pens could have three lines with that ideal which are in effect the two best number one lines in hockey and by far the best third line in hockey.

Byslam is not such an idiot to not realize that I hope. Yeah, the top line is going gangbusters, but to not see that Iggy is on another plane entirely than Dupuis is moronic.

Crosby with Iggy and Kunitz
Malkin with Neal and Morrow
Sutter with Dupuis and Cooke.

Each of those lines has that ideal combination. Elite center, elite wing, guy to do the dirty work to free the other two to score in bunches.

It really is not fair to the rest of the NHL, and is so obviously the lineup that should be. I am praying that Bylsma sees it that way.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
A few thoughts on Iginla and his role on the Pens.

He should not be on Malkin's wing generally, he needs to be paired with Crosby. You NEED someone to do the dirty work and asking a guy like Neal or Iggy to do that is a waste.

Elite center, elite wing, guy to create havoc, work the corners, do the dirty work. That is the ideal set up. And the Pens could have three lines with that ideal which are in effect the two best number one lines in hockey and by far the best third line in hockey.

Byslam is not such an idiot to not realize that I hope. Yeah, the top line is going gangbusters, but to not see that Iggy is on another plane entirely than Dupuis is moronic.

Crosby with Iggy and Kunitz
Malkin with Neal and Morrow
Sutter with Dupuis and Cooke.

Each of those lines has that ideal combination. Elite center, elite wing, guy to do the dirty work to free the other two to score in bunches.

It really is not fair to the rest of the NHL, and is so obviously the lineup that should be. I am praying that Bylsma sees it that way.

Man you gotta be crazy to break a line like Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis. Hockey doesn't work like we fans sometimes think or want.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Man you gotta be crazy to break a line like Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis. Hockey doesn't work like we fans sometimes think or want.

See 2010 olympics, Crosby and Iginla had some chemistry together. Sure the Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis line looks great but im pretty sure you can put anyone on Crosby's wing and they will produce. What Dupuis and Crosby have is not undeniable chemistry that nobody else would have playing with Sid.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Yeah - a higher pick in the first round. :naughty:

Columbus is looking to move one of their 1sts. Curtis Glencross could start a bidding war. I know everyone loves him, but why keep him if the Flames aren't going to do anything for the next 10 years? :dunno:

Then again, this is the same Pejorative Slured management that thought the Flames could contend this year.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Columbus is looking to move one of their 1sts. Curtis Glencross could start a bidding war. I know everyone loves him, but why keep him if the Flames aren't going to do anything for the next 10 years? :dunno:

Then again, this is the same Pejorative Slured management that thought the Flames could contend this year.
My point was - if the Penguins lose out in the first round, that 1st round pick that everyone assumes would be 30th overall could wind up being around 23rd overall.

This is why I'm torn about cheering for the Penguins.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
My point was - if the Penguins lose out in the first round, that 1st round pick that everyone assumes would be 30th overall could wind up being around 23rd overall.

Wouldn't winning the President's Trophy push it back a few spots?

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan

The Flames could package a 1st attained from a Glencross trade with the Penguins 1st to move up. I think they'd move LA's 1st since it looks like it could be the lowest of the 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad