Proposal: Jarome Iginla or Ryan Smyth

westernhome

Sep 21, 2011
I think why it's a question is the cost.

Smyth can be had for a 4th round pick

Iginla would cost a 1st Rounder + Spooner(that type thing)

which might be worth it if we can get Iginla to sign and play here on our third line next year too

but would he consider himself still in the $7 million a year category for him to keep playing? or would a guy like this be happy to sign for somewhere in the $4 million range to take a less responsible role as a role player of a much better team?

imagine the depth as we'd be rolling arguably three 1st lines and our 4th looking more like a good 3rd line

Last edited:

fireworks

Apr 17, 2009
Bobcaygeon
Trading Seidenberg?? No. He's a top pairing DMan who was by far our best blueliner in the cup run. He's a gamer.

Seidenberg was great for us on our cup run. He is a reliable solid defensive defenseman. My thoughts were if we wanted a top defenseman, it would probably cost us Boychuk or Ference.

Quite honestly I would be ok with keeping what we have defensively and maybe adding another solid Dman without subtracting anyone in our top 7 currently.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
At this point I'd hate to see any of our defensemen moved. Anyone know the status of Aaron Johnson? Would ge be that much of a hindrance in the playoffs? I thought that he looked pretty solid in the games that he suited up.
On the other question, of Iginla or Smith, obviously Iggy still has "it" to a certain degree and I'd choose him of the two but there will be more than two bodies available and knowing Chia, he'll be looking at all situations. If I were to bet I'd say that he'll pull of the unexpected and that's okay with me.

Last edited:

deliciouspie

the best post »»»»»
Oct 22, 2008
sf, austin, here
better question

what makes ryan smyth cry more

1) this thread
2) his play this year

literally the only thing ryan smyth leads the league in this year is fewest vowels in a name

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Between Ryan Smyth and Jerome Iginla....I choose Ryan Clowe.. If I can't make that choice ..I stick with Caron

Bingo!

Thought Caron looked very solid against Philly, still holding out hope for him.

Would much rather Clowe to either Iginla or Smyth because of the cost. Rather have Soderberg for ZERO assets.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
better question

what makes ryan smyth cry more

1) this thread
2) his play this year

literally the only thing ryan smyth leads the league in this year is fewest vowels in a name

Good to see you switched back to deliciouspie. Think I was the first to call you DP? No pun intended. Who is the latest supermodel to get kicked out of your bed? :laugh:

Perceptor

World Class
Mar 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
As someone who watches a ton of Flames games, I'd say Iggy, but the cost for him would be huge. At minimum, the Flames would want Boston's 1st, Malcolm Subban, Spooner, AND a roster player. That's a lot for a player who will be a UFA at the end of the season.

I love Iginla and realize we're in win-now mode. However, the cost is way too high and I think like some have said, we can get someone else at a lower cost

nicktherealbruin

Mar 12, 2013
iginla is a good depth guy, just not sure on how much juice he's got left in the tank. But i wouldn't mind him for a season. But soderberg might be better...

member 96824

Watched Clowe tonight pretty sharply...while Id never judge a player on one game, and in the past ive really liked Clowe, left very disappointed.

Iginla for me.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
People tore my head off earlier for suggesting we get Smitty. I still think he would be a solid low cost addition to the team. He is also a guy you can stick in front of the net on the pp (he can still do it well). Lord knows we can always use a little more powerplay help and Smith isin't a guy who overthinks things.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
As someone who watches a ton of Flames games, I'd say Iggy, but the cost for him would be huge. At minimum, the Flames would want Boston's 1st, Malcolm Subban, Spooner, AND a roster player. That's a lot for a player who will be a UFA at the end of the season.

I love Iginla and realize we're in win-now mode. However, the cost is way too high and I think like some have said, we can get someone else at a lower cost

Holy Batman!

Boston 1st
Subban
Spooner
(Roster player; ex: Peverley)

All that for UFA Iginla?? What makes you assume Feaster will demand all that?

No friggin way!!

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Holy Batman!

Boston 1st
Subban
Spooner
(Roster player; ex: Peverley)

All that for UFA Iginla?? What makes you assume Feaster will demand all that?

No friggin way!!
what if we could negotiate w/ iggy b4 signing?

Would you feel differently? Honest question

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
what if we could negotiate w/ iggy b4 signing?

Would you feel differently? Honest question

No problem giving up the 1st.

I'd prefer to ship Knight over Spooner. (Something very Savard-esque about this Spooner kid)

Wouldnt mind sending Subban.

If Iginla agreed to re-sign here, I guess moving Peverly would be a must in order to stay under Cap next season. Would it be enough to keep Horton however?

Lucic Krejci Iginla
Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Soderberg Kelly Horton
Paille Campbell Thornton

Cap space be damned...:laugh:

west side beaner

Registered Bruins-er
Oct 10, 2010
Vancouver, BC
ah that's a tough one... Ryan Smyth is a beaut of a hockey player, but I think Iginla has more potential to be a Recchi-type vet, who'll put up points still... and he'll probably be able to skate faster then Recchi...:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad