Jared McCann - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Paranoia tends to creep in after multiple experiences of disappointment or discontent. I don't blame me at all.

You bet I'll come back to this comment if he gets cut. Be sure to come back to mine if he stays. I'll be more than happy to eat that crow.

You don't blame yourself at all...oh the humility

The amount of crazy theories on this board in the last few months is ridiculus.

I'm sure the management wants all their players to play well...I hope McCann makes it on the team, I think he has earned at least 9 games. I would also like to see Virtanan(who many have a hate on for already, bizarro world).

I wish we could just go back to talking about the team instead of some crazy over arching consipiracy theory.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
At this point you have to give McCann a chance. He may fail and honestly still likely will but he has earned the chance to play some real NHL games.

I'm not worried about him being on the 4th line and actually it might work out well because if Dorsett and Prust do what they want them to do and get in hard on the forecheck and bang guys, it might be nice to have an opportunistic linemate ready to jump on some lose pucks.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Paranoia tends to creep in after multiple experiences of disappointment or discontent. I don't blame me at all.

You bet I'll come back to this comment if he gets cut. Be sure to come back to mine if he stays. I'll be more than happy to eat that crow.

No, these are out there conspiracy theories being perpetuated from this message board. There is nothing to suggest Benning dislikes players he did not draft, and yet the myth is all but truth on these boards

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
At this point you have to give McCann a chance. He may fail and honestly still likely will but he has earned the chance to play some real NHL games.

I'm not worried about him being on the 4th line and actually it might work out well because if Dorsett and Prust do what they want them to do and get in hard on the forecheck and bang guys, it might be nice to have an opportunistic linemate ready to jump on some lose pucks.

I think the play of Adam Cracknell helps McCann's situation in a strange way.

If McCann makes the team and they waive Vey and he is claimed, Cracknell provides additional depth in case McCann can't handle the regular season pace. This allows them to give McCann a 9 game audition and risk losing Vey to waivers. This is why they keep giving Vey more and more looks and different situation; they have to make their mind up on him assuming he would be claimed off of waivers.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah fair point there. But the physically mature argument is just as bad. And limited minutes? With willie behind the bench? But playing with the grinders again fair point.

Ya I'm not really worried about McCann's physical maturity as he seems to put himself in smart positions and doesn't expose himself to big hits so I think he can get by there. Just wish the 3C spot was available for him to start in, but we all know that's never going to happen.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Ya I'm not really worried about McCann's physical maturity as he seems to put himself in smart positions and doesn't expose himself to big hits so I think he can get by there. Just wish the 3C spot was available for him to start in, but we all know that's never going to happen.

Yeah if benning said what you did I wouldn't like it, but at least it would make some sense. But that won't happen and he'll likely use some useless buzzwords and rhetoric because he'd be essentially invalidating prust and he's a terrible orator. Still think McCann should get 9 though.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think the play of Adam Cracknell helps McCann's situation in a strange way.

If McCann makes the team and they waive Vey and he is claimed, Cracknell provides additional depth in case McCann can't handle the regular season pace. This allows them to give McCann a 9 game audition and risk losing Vey to waivers. This is why they keep giving Vey more and more looks and different situation; they have to make their mind up on him assuming he would be claimed off of waivers.

Don't disagree. I mentioned yesterday that I no longer believe Vey is an option for this club...period. So the 4th line center spot options are:
-McCann tryout
-waiver pick up
-acquisition

I had forgotten Cracknell and it was pointed out to me. I put him on the waiver pick up type level. He earned the right to be plan B behind the McCann try out and would be the type of player you'd maybe find on waivers. In the end, the real solution is still likely to be an acquisition (or it is ignored because the team sucks and they'll just wait for a kid next season), but I hope McCann can take the ball and run with it. 10 minutes a night in the NHL can be good for him as it was for Horvat.

McCann isn't RNH who when he entered the league was likely 165 lbs in full, soaking wet equipment while holding a 10 lb dumbbell. He is ~180 if I'm not mistaken. He's Giroux sized (5' 11", 185 lbs)....Giroux entered the league around 170-175.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Yeah, I'm not worried about that either.

Players should be rewarded for what they have done, not what they may (or may not) accomplish. I just hope management does the right thing and start him for the real season.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
McCann needs to stay up...I see a lot of folks mentioning his build and strength, but consistently playing in the NHL night after night will really get him acclimated to the pace and his conditioning will improve throughout the season.

Not to mention, McCann has an insane work ethic and is the type that would use the top of line nutritionists, skills coaches, etc. to really tighten up his game...he has that "perfectionist" vibe to him.

Putting him in the NHL would also be a huge confidence booster too by validating all of his hard work throughout the summer, which would probably motivate him even more and is a great message to send to our kids. Take for instance that pass on Horvat's goal...just shows that in order for him to sustain this level of growth, he's best suited surrounded by NHL players that will be able to keep up with his vision.

Cool thing is...I think we're seeing a limited version of McCann's ability and his potential isn't even close to being reached yet. I see a lot of Sam Bennett in his game, purely in terms of swagger and poise and I think he should be developed the same way. Let the kid play this year all the way through and keep the momentum going.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'm all for keeping McCann up. I'd personally like to play him on Sutter's wing if at all possible.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows (18 mins)
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata (15 mins)
McCann-Sutter-Dorsett (14 mins)
Prust-Vey-Hansen (13 mins)

Something along those lines seems to make sense to me. Keep in mind WD rolls 4 lines, so having Hansen on the 4th line doesn't mean he'll be getting less minutes then Dorsett. There wouldn't be a huge disparity between lines 2-4, whichever line was playing better on any given night would get the minutes. Hansen would also make up the difference with a ton of extra minutes on the PK. Having Hansen on the 4th line also gives Vey a hope to succeed by giving him someone who has a hope of generating some offense.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
FbZlMA9.gif

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Some guys can't bulk up. It would help even more, for his physique if he stayed on the Canucks roster and watching the veterans train. Chris Tanev was a stick when he started as a Canuck and now he looks like a beast.

Guys like Brandon Sutter and Kyle Turris have been told to bulk up throughout their careers. They just can't. If he gets sent down because the management wants him to bulk up, then I think they'll have made a terrible mistake.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah, I'm not worried about that either.

Players should be rewarded for what they have done, not what they may (or may not) accomplish. I just hope management does the right thing and start him for the real season.

I wish the same thing, but my question is: where do you start him?

RW with the Sedins? I'd actually love to see it but seems very unlikely.

LW with Horvat and Vrbata? That would be the ideal IMO.

3C with Sutter pushed to the 4C? That would also be good.

4C with Prust and Dorsett? No thanks, rather he be in SSM for one more year.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

You start him on wing, either with Sutter or Horvat. I would personally put him with Sutter for a few reasons: Sutter is the more experienced NHL player and that should offer some comfort, he'll get easier match-ups (assuming Vrbata is with Horvat), there will be far less expectations offensively. He'll be able to work his way through the season with the expectation of putting up 20-30 points while working on doing on the small things right on a balanced offensive/checking line.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Some guys can't bulk up. It would help even more, for his physique if he stayed on the Canucks roster and watching the veterans train. Chris Tanev was a stick when he started as a Canuck and now he looks like a beast.

Guys like Brandon Sutter and Kyle Turris have been told to bulk up throughout their careers. They just can't. If he gets sent down because the management wants him to bulk up, then I think they'll have made a terrible mistake.

Have Sutter and Turris tried eating meat and taters?

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

I think McCann will progress the same way like Horvat by moving up the lineup by season end.

I would start him on the 4th line assuming Prust and Dorsett don't play together. If we have a guy like Kenins or Virtanen, that wouldn't be half bad. Dorsett is actually a very good 4th liner.

Plus, after what McCann showed, he'd probably have some late 2nd PP unit minutes.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You start him on wing, either with Sutter or Horvat. I would personally put him with Sutter for a few reasons: Sutter is the more experienced NHL player and that should offer some comfort, he'll get easier match-ups (assuming Vrbata is with Horvat), there will be far less expectations offensively. He'll be able to work his way through the season with the expectation of putting up 20-30 points while working on doing on the small things right on a balanced offensive/checking line.

If that's where they put him then I'm 100% in favour. I suppose he could fill in for Higgins until he's back and then you have to make a call on McCann (i.e. keep past the 9 game mark) or move one of Higgins or Hansen for picks (which I'd be fine with). Just so long as he doesn't "replace Vey" on that 4th line, as that would be purgatory for his offensive growth.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Are you sure?

The reason we acquired Sutter is that he (and whatever linemates he has) eat all the hard match-ups. That seems like the least ideal environment for McCann.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Don't disagree. I mentioned yesterday that I no longer believe Vey is an option for this club...period. So the 4th line center spot options are:
-McCann tryout
-waiver pick up
-acquisition

I had forgotten Cracknell and it was pointed out to me. I put him on the waiver pick up type level. He earned the right to be plan B behind the McCann try out and would be the type of player you'd maybe find on waivers. In the end, the real solution is still likely to be an acquisition (or it is ignored because the team sucks and they'll just wait for a kid next season), but I hope McCann can take the ball and run with it. 10 minutes a night in the NHL can be good for him as it was for Horvat.

McCann isn't RNH who when he entered the league was likely 165 lbs in full, soaking wet equipment while holding a 10 lb dumbbell. He is ~180 if I'm not mistaken. He's Giroux sized (5' 11", 185 lbs)....Giroux entered the league around 170-175.

I recall McCann said he bulked up to around 190 over the summer, and he's listed at 6 feet, 185 pounds on hockeydb, which is usually conservative with measurements. To my mind, if Sam Bennet (who used to be 18 years old) can play in the NHL, then so can "Canner" McCann.

Bennett is listed on hdb at 6'1" 181. The eye test says they're basically the same size. Skill levels remain to be seen, but size-wise McCann is obviously big enough for the NHL, and he's still filling out.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I recall McCann said he bulked up to around 190 over the summer, and he's listed at 6 feet, 185 pounds on hockeydb, which is usually conservative with measurements. To my mind, if Sam Bennet (who used to be 18 years old) can play in the NHL, then so can "Canner" McCann.

Bennett is listed on hdb at 6'1" 181. The eye test says they're basically the same size. Skill levels remain to be seen, but size-wise McCann is obviously big enough for the NHL, and he's still filling out.

Yes, even Henrik Sedin is around 185-190 lbs.

McCann is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad