Recalled/Assigned: Jared McCann assigned to AHL Springfield

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Right move imo. Now he will get some 1st line icetime and the chance to dominate down there.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I really hope people don't overreact to this and call him a bust. He's 20 years old. AHL time will do him a lot of good

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
The right thing to do. I felt he was getting a little better lately with the team, but getting some more ice time in AHL should do him good.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Well if they expect his future is top 9 it makes sense as playing on the 4th is not going to help his development. Nick's return has reshuffled the deck, and this way he can get used to playing 15 to 18 minutes per game and hopefully get some time with Hawryluk when he returns. Springfield desperately needs the help on offense and defense. :)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well if they expect his future is top 9 it makes sense as playing on the 4th is not going to help his development. Nick's return has reshuffled the deck, and this way he can get used to playing 15 to 18 minutes per game and hopefully get some time with Hawryluk when he returns. Springfield desperately needs the help on offense and defense. :)

Bjugstad's return doesn't change anything. We got Jokinen, Barkov, Jagr, Marchessault, Trocheck, Smith, Malgin and Bjugstad. I don't know about you, but I count 8. There's still one top9 spot available. Nothing against Sceviour and Rau. They're solid 4th line players but there's little to no offensive upside. Probably not the players you want to have on what should be a speedy, creative and skilled 3rd line.

...and to be blunt and honest...3rd line has been hot garbage ever since Gallant took McCann off it. The only good game they had was in Toronto when McCann was back on it and Malgin had somebody to create plays with. I like Gallant but I don't know how blind you have to be not to notice that.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Bjugstad's return doesn't change anything. We got Jokinen, Barkov, Jagr, Marchessault, Trocheck, Smith, Malgin and Bjugstad. I don't know about you, but I count 8. There's still one top9 spot available. Nothing against Sceviour and Rau. They're solid 4th line players but there's little to no offensive upside. Probably not the players you want to have on what should be a speedy, creative and skilled 3rd line.

...and to be blunt and honest...3rd line has been hot garbage ever since Gallant took McCann off it. The only good game they had was in Toronto when McCann was back on it and Malgin had somebody to create plays with. I like Gallant but I don't know how blind you have to be not to notice that.
I know you like him and so do I, but to say there is no offensive upside with Sceviour is shortsighted. Colton doesn't excel in any one area but he is very good in all areas and has the experience that coaches like. I don't see the 3rd line excelling again until they have all had time to work together + Malgin is still probably a little gimpy on his foot since the block.

Rau's upside is 3rd line so he will likely stick on the 4th when Thornton isn't playing. He doesn't need the ice time required of a top 9 prospect for his development. :)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I know you like him and so do I, but to say there is no offensive upside with Sceviour is shortsighted. Colton doesn't excel in any one area but he is very good in all areas and has the experience that coaches like. I don't see the 3rd line excelling again until they have all had time to work together + Malgin is still probably a little gimpy on his foot since the block.

Rau's upside is 3rd line so he will likely stick on the 4th when Thornton isn't playing. He doesn't need the ice time required of a top 9 prospect for his development. :)

Sceviour is good on the fore- and backcheck and doesn't make many mistakes. However, he doesn't seem to be able to handle the puck properly. His hockey IQ is solid and that's what allows him to fill in on higher lines. That said, he's clearly lacking skills and shouldn't be a regular on the 3rd line. McKegg, Rau and Sceviour are pretty similar. It's really just Sceviours hockey IQ and his consistency who make the difference. Sceviour and Malgin saw a lot of time together...I can tell you that it won't get any better. It just became clear that it was McCann who was the catalyst on that line earlier in the season. Griffith did ok and I'd play him on the 3rd over Sceviour pretty much any day but he's no replacement for McCann. McCann is much like Jokinen. Underrated but he makes other players better. Calm approach and very strong and patient on the puck.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Griffith did ok and I'd play him on the 3rd over Sceviour pretty much any day but he's no replacement for McCann.
Forgot about Griffith. I have my doubts he sees icetime over Sceviour. He and Rau will likely be scratched against Philly, and after that I have no idea. Could end up back on waivers to be sent to Springfield.

Smith has been pretty bad most of the year. Yesterday he was awful defensively and the guy can't hit the net with his shot. Alas, they may scratch him a game or two but at $5M per, he ain't going anywhere. They will be patient with their investment. :)

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014

wow, your homerism towards your old "nuckles" player is insane. :laugh:
sceviour > mccann ez.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
wow, your homerism towards your old "nuckles" player is insane. :laugh:
sceviour > mccann ez.

This is more about Sceviour not being good enough than McCann being great. Sceviour did ok as a fill in but on a healthy roster, he really shouldn't be more than a 4th liner. He has very little offensive upside. McCann is different. Kid has lots of skill. Just compare the games when McCann was on the 3rd line with those when he wasn't. Tells you everything. Sceviour is a great two way forward but Malgin needs somebody to play with...

But it isn't about McCann anyway. I'm just not a fan of playing plugs inside top9. I get that the Pens just won the Cup that way, but still.

Again, we could talk about other guys instead of McCann. Huberdeau, Hawryuk, etc. In the end, we just need at least one, if not 2, Wingers on our 3rd unit who can actually make plays.
Therefore, despite Bjugstad's return...with Sceviour, Rau or McKegg being the alternatives, it makes little sense to demote McCann

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
This is more about Sceviour not being good enough than McCann being great. Sceviour did ok as a fill in but on a healthy roster, he really shouldn't be more than a 4th liner. He has very little offensive upside. McCann is different. Kid has lots of skill. Just compare the games when McCann was on the 3rd line with those when he wasn't. Tells you everything. Sceviour is a great two way forward but Malgin needs somebody to play with...

But it isn't about McCann anyway. I'm just not a fan of playing plugs inside top9. I get that the Pens just won the Cup that way, but still.

Again, we could talk about other guys instead of McCann. Huberdeau, Hawryuk, etc. In the end, we just need at least one, if not 2, Wingers on our 3rd unit who can actually make plays.
Therefore, despite Bjugstad's return...with Sceviour, Rau or McKegg being the alternatives, it makes little sense to demote McCannn
I think the biggest thing you're ignoring is that no matter how much Gallant raves on about how he wants to roll all 4 lines, we still need some physicality in the line-up. The top6 is already really weak (especially with Huberdeau out) and if you add to that a line of McCann/Malgin/Bjugstad, that would make the whole top9 weak.

McCann's projects to be a top6 forward. When Jokinen is gone, he's going to get his chance. His time will come, eventually.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think the biggest thing you're ignoring is that no matter how much Gallant raves on about how he wants to roll all 4 lines, we still need some physicality in the line-up. The top6 is already really weak (especially with Huberdeau out) and if you add to that a line of McCann/Malgin/Bjugstad, that would make the whole top9 weak.

McCann's projects to be a top6 forward. When Jokinen is gone, he's going to get his chance. His time will come, eventually.

Well, that's a good point. But the problem is that the only tough forward we have is MacKenzie. Him and maybe Trocheck who's a small guy but plays big.
But if you think that Rau, McKegg or Sceviour are any tougher than McCann, you're completely wrong. They aren't. In fact, they're pretty weak, too. If Gallant actually wanted to have a stronger team, he could have played Thornton more often.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary

Therefore, despite Bjugstad's return...with Sceviour, Rau or McKegg being the alternatives, it makes little sense to demote McCann

I think you are wrong on a LOT here. You've watched too much of the Canucks over past years that it has mushed your brain:laugh:

Sceviour is a solid 3rd line option and great 4th liner.

Pens had a 3rd line with PHIL KESSEL on it or if you want to call Malkin 3rd line so be it:laugh: Not good example at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad