Value of: Jared McCann after playoffs and hits 20 goals

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The Oilers don't do that.

McCann would be either a mid 6 winger or a 3C for us. Samorukov is buried on LD. Klefbom, Nurse, Jones and Broberg. This is the exact type of player we should be targeting by trade from a position of strength.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Goodrow and Coleman didn't bring back 1sts.

Goodrow and Coleman's contracts brought back 1sts.

Sign McCann to three years 2 mil and you'll get a 1st++

I'll offer Pearson for him :sarcasm:

Neither of those players had that level of contracts. Coleman had 1.5 years left at $1.8 million and Goodrow had 1.5 years left at $925k. If McCann had that kind of contract, the Penguins wouldn't even entertain trading him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
McCann doesn't bring a first pal...not even close....he has value but not what it was. Just being a first round pick prior deosnt guarantee you have the value of a 1rst years later...like come on.. zucker brought a 1rst but he has more offensive upside..

Zucker got a first and a solid prospect. McCann would easily get a 1st from a team in the 15-30 range.

I assume if Pittsburgh moves McCann it’s for a Kahun like winger on a cheap deal (irony) or a solid # 4-5 D that is contract controlled.

I could also see him packaged with Jack Johnson for a veteran option. Say Goligoski.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Zucker got a first and a solid prospect. McCann would easily get a 1st from a team in the 15-30 range.

I assume if Pittsburgh moves McCann it’s for a Kahun like winger on a cheap deal (irony) or a solid # 4-5 D that is contract controlled.

I could also see him packaged with Jack Johnson for a veteran option. Say Goligoski.
Wtf? Why would the Pens move McCann for a Kahun-like player? Why not just keep McCann since he’s better.

And a McCann+JJ for Goligoski trade is probably a top 5 worst ideas I’ve seen on this board. Goligoski hardly has anything left in the tank and JJ has been solid this year.

McCann only goes for a mid-late 1st (that’s only if we have cap trouble), or a gross overpayment but that’s not likely. We need McCann I don’t think JR is giving any attention to the idea of trading.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Wtf? Why would the Pens move McCann for a Kahun-like player? Why not just keep McCann since he’s better.

And a McCann+JJ for Goligoski trade is probably a top 5 worst ideas I’ve seen on this board. Goligoski hardly has anything left in the tank and JJ has been solid this year.

McCann only goes for a mid-late 1st (that’s only if we have cap trouble), or a gross overpayment but that’s not likely. We need McCann I don’t think JR is giving any attention to the idea of trading.

CAP

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
We don’t need cap that badly. We have a handful of expiring contracts that we won’t be re-signing that will be enough for the raises we owe our guys.

Trade one of the goalies because we can’t afford to sign both and that’d be a waste of cap anyways.. and dump off Bjugstad.

That’s plenty money to give McCann a nice raise. He won’t cost more than 3-4m anyways.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
J.T. Compher in Colorado is likely a comp that these guys coming off their bridge deal who put up 35-45 points will be looking at. Middle 6 type guys. Virtanen in Vancouver is one, same with Kahun who Pitt traded at the TDL. Compher got 4 years at like $3.5 mill per. 30 odd points in elc years 2&3. At 28 points in 66 games so far this year so another 35 or so point season.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Excuse me Barclay Goodrow just returned a 1st...

To the right team McCann easily nets a late 1st.

Irrelevant though because we are that right team. We need to re-sign him. Unless of course a no brainer of a deal comes along but those rarely happen.
Not even close !

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
15-20g/35-40pt 3rd liner?

pens would be better off keeping him and hoping he takes the next step. They would likely only get a 2nd+B prospect, maybe a late 1st

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
15-20g/35-40pt 3rd liner?

pens would be better off keeping him and hoping he takes the next step. They would likely only get a 2nd+B prospect, maybe a late 1st
He isnt bringing a 1rst. He wont score 20 g or 40. He started off good but his play has really dropped. Defensively henis average. Missed penalty shot today didnt help his case. He would fetch a 2nd maybe

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I've always liked McCann. Thought it was a very good pick, and was sad when he was dealt away from the Canucks. Have enjoyed watching him find a real home with the Penguins where he can succeed.

But he's always kinda fallen into that "Antoine Vermette" sorta void. Where he can be a "Top-6 winger", or a "3rd line Center". But with McCann, i don't think he's established his faceoff prowess and two-way game to the extent that 3rd line C makes more sense at this point. He's the sort of guy you'd run as your #3C, if one of your top-2 Centers is like a prime Toews/Bergeron/Kesler and you can ease up on matchups for that 3rd line. But if you don't have that and you're weak on the wings with stud centers...it makes way more sense to just rock out with a cheap 20G winger.

Reactions: Synesthesia

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Irrelevant though because we are that right team. We need to re-sign him. Unless of course a no brainer of a deal comes along but those rarely happen.

I'm sure you are aware that the price players return to a contender at the deadline are different than the price players return on draft day or during the summer.

In addition-

Goodrow has 26 pts, McCann 34.
ES pts- Goodrow 26, McCann 28
McCann's pts came on a team that is 7th in scoring
Goodrow's pts came on a team that is 28th in scoring
Goodrow was 52.2 CF% on SJ (+ rel to team), McCann 50.6 CF%(slightly - rel to team)
Goodrow was the leader in PK TOI in SJ
McCann was 8th in Fs in PK TOI
TB overpaid because they wanted toughness for the playoffs

If you want to say that McCann gets a late 1st at the deadline next year, I could see it. But he's not getting a 1st PLUS at the end of this season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
While I'm pretty sure you can get a 1st for McCann is you strike the right bargain at the right time, I do think its fair to say that (once paid) guys like McCann do usually more often get 2nd + 2nd or 2nd + B prospect. Which, tbh, is probably more valuable most of the time anyway...

I've always liked McCann. Thought it was a very good pick, and was sad when he was dealt away from the Canucks. Have enjoyed watching him find a real home with the Penguins where he can succeed.

But he's always kinda fallen into that "Antoine Vermette" sorta void. Where he can be a "Top-6 winger", or a "3rd line Center". But with McCann, i don't think he's established his faceoff prowess and two-way game to the extent that 3rd line C makes more sense at this point. He's the sort of guy you'd run as your #3C, if one of your top-2 Centers is like a prime Toews/Bergeron/Kesler and you can ease up on matchups for that 3rd line. But if you don't have that and you're weak on the wings with stud centers...it makes way more sense to just rock out with a cheap 20G winger.

We can give McCann those match ups pretty easily actually - Sid and Geno draw opposition best whether we like it or not (and both can take them) and we can also use Blueger to neutralise opposition best, leaving our 3C a sweet ride. That's where I'd expect him to be deployed next year unless Bjugstad locks down 3C as his in the rest of the season (which raises interesting cap questions for us).

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

Just because one team drops a super late first round pick on a bottom sixer doesn't mean the market has been set at a first round pick for everyone that follows.

Synesthesia

Apr 15, 2012

Very accurate comparison and analysis.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
McCann isn’t a bottom 6er. That’s my point.
Actually he is. He is a 3rd line guy at best. He may be able to fill in on top 6 short term but he isnt a top 6. No goals in something like 20 games and you think he is top 6 ....LOL...wow..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad