Jared Cowen

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I think the main reason a lot of people aren't that high on Cowen is due to his WJC performances. Most people (myself included) have only really seen him at the WJCs, where he hasn't played great. I remember him being awful in 2010, and didn't notice him a tonne in 2011. Big, tough, good skater for his size, he didn't strike me as amazing defensively or particularly talented offensively at the WJCs but I totally realize that's a tiny sample size. Obviously he must have shown a lot more in the WHL, because scouts seem fairly high on him, and they definitely know a lot more than me!

The year he played in the WJC as an 18 year old rehabbing from major knee reconstruction was his first impression to most hockey fans. Put in a position to fail for his first impression. That and his player type isn't the most attractive to fan boy types.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
He does handle the puck like a hot grenade. Im a tri-city fan and have seen him múltiple times over the years. I just recently saw him last week, and while he has gotten better he is still a ways away. I agree with renegade or whoever that was who said he is 3-5 years away from an nhl powerplay (hes my favorite player btw)

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
He does handle the puck like a hot grenade. Im a tri-city fan and have seen him múltiple times over the years. I just recently saw him last week, and while he has gotten better he is still a ways away. I agree with renegade or whoever that was who said he is 3-5 years away from an nhl powerplay (hes my favorite player btw)

It's certainly true. Although I think it looked worse in the WJC than it really is...but it's still probably his biggest weakness. I expect it's got a lot of room to improve as I'm sure coordination continues to improve for a guy that is his size at his age. Besides, with Karlsson and Rundblad both considered the top 2 RDs in Ottawa, Cowen will soon play with one of them in all likelihood...all he's gotta do is get the puck over to them most of the time.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Seems like he is projecting to be a Coburn type, which would be fine by us Sens fans. Nice to see his point and goal production up this year, though. I think it's been great for him to be in the W this season, just like I think a year in the AHL will great for him too. He could see some PP time with Binghampton next season, which would help in his development, along with the 20-25 minutes a night of pro hockey. If he play his way onto the Sens, great.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Seems like he is projecting to be a Coburn type, which would be fine by us Sens fans. Nice to see his point and goal production up this year, though. I think it's been great for him to be in the W this season, just like I think a year in the AHL will great for him too. He could see some PP time with Binghampton next season, which would help in his development, along with the 20-25 minutes a night of pro hockey. If he play his way onto the Sens, great.

You do realize that is unlikely right?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
You do realize that is unlikely right?

I'm not so sure.

The Sens have Gonchar, Karlsson, Kuba, Lee and Carkner under contract next year. They also have Campoli as a RFA, who will be back if he isn't traded in the next 24 hours. They also have Phillips in the mix, although if they re-sign him, i have to think they move Kuba someway, somehow.

So that is six established NHL d-men in the mix in front of Cowen, which doesn't include David Rundblad. If you had to bet on one of Rundblad or Cowen making the Sens, which would you bet? I'd bet Rundblad, although Cowen could win a spot.

So right now he is probably 8th on the depth chart next year. He could easily move to 6th or 7th with another transaction or two, or move to 9th, if Phillips is re-signed today or in July. He could also move up into the top 5 by playing his way onto the team.

But that's the point. If he doesn't outplay the guys in front of him, he will likely start the year in Bingo, in particular given he is waiver exempt and none of the top six guys will clear waivers.

So unlikely? I disagree. I'd say it's probably 50/50 at this point.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
Playing in the AHL is a good thing for most prospects, especially big defensemen as they are the type of prospects that need the most time to develop. Let him get used to playing as a top pairing defenseman in a pro level rather than bottom pairing d-man at this stage of his career. Ottawa is rebuilding and he will be a big part of it.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
His puck skills are fine and he does not handle the puck like a grenade lol.

Yes he does. Reading your post, I'd think he's Bobby Orr. Believe it or not, he does have weaknesses, and his puck handling is a major one.

Improving it will be the difference between a 4-6 Gill type, and a 1-2 like Cowen is more than capable of. I'm confident he'll continue to improve in the area.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I'm not so sure.

The Sens have Gonchar, Karlsson, Kuba, Lee and Carkner under contract next year. They also have Campoli as a RFA, who will be back if he isn't traded in the next 24 hours. They also have Phillips in the mix, although if they re-sign him, i have to think they move Kuba someway, somehow.

So that is six established NHL d-men in the mix in front of Cowen, which doesn't include David Rundblad. If you had to bet on one of Rundblad or Cowen making the Sens, which would you bet? I'd bet Rundblad, although Cowen could win a spot.

So right now he is probably 8th on the depth chart next year. He could easily move to 6th or 7th with another transaction or two, or move to 9th, if Phillips is re-signed today or in July. He could also move up into the top 5 by playing his way onto the team.

But that's the point. If he doesn't outplay the guys in front of him, he will likely start the year in Bingo, in particular given he is waiver exempt and none of the top six guys will clear waivers.

He could have been retained to play the year here if they really wanted to. He's had an extra year. And Murray has said he has to make room on D for Cowen and Rundblad. Pretty simple.

RD: Gonchar, Lee, Karlsson, Rundblad, Carkner
LD: Phillips, Campoli Kuba, Cowen

If anyone's more likely to start in the A it's Rundblad, the guy coming over from Europe on big ice. I'm not saying this is ideal, I'm just saying don't expect Cowen to start in the A.

An LD will open up by Monday by the sounds of it. Perhaps two and Gonchar moves over to his left. Maybe Lee gets moved.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
He could have been retained to play the year here if they really wanted to. He's had an extra year. And Murray has said he has to make room on D for Cowen and Rundblad. Pretty simple.

RD: Gonchar, Lee, Karlsson, Rundblad, Carkner
LD: Phillips, Campoli Kuba, Cowen

If anyone's more likely to start in the A it's Rundblad, the guy coming over from Europe on big ice. I'm not saying this is ideal, I'm just saying don't expect Cowen to start in the A.

An LD will open up by Monday by the sounds of it. Perhaps two and Gonchar moves over to his left. Maybe Lee gets moved.

You could be right. I hadn't really contemplated the side preference, given the team has shown in past it doesn't care too much about this and moves guys to the wrong side (too often, I'd say).

I'd actually like to see Cowen and Runblad both in the AHL next year, at least to start, and when and if they are lights out, bring them up (or in the case of a significant injury). It served Karlsson well. Unfortunately, this franchise is showing a tendency to rush their young players a bit. Sometimes out of necessity, but still.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Start the year? Absolutely possible.
Spend the year in Bingo? I really doubt it.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I'd actually like to see Cowen and Runblad both in the AHL next year, at least to start, and when and if they are lights out, bring them up (or in the case of a significant injury). It served Karlsson well. Unfortunately, this franchise is showing a tendency to rush their young players a bit. Sometimes out of necessity, but still.

Karlsson and Rundblad are in different situations though:

2008 Draft: Karlsson (6'0, 175 lbs)
08-09 SEL = 45-5-5-10
09-10 NHL = 60-5-21-26
....... AHL = 12-0-11-11

2009 Draft: Rundblad (6'2, 198 lbs)
09-10 SEL = 47-1-12-13
10-11 SEL = 52-11-36-47

It took Karlsson 45 NHL & AHL games before he caught fire offensively down the stretch (27-4-15-19). Rundblad will have at least 25 lbs on him, a very important extra year of development and IIRC, an out clause to Sweden if he doesn't make the NHL roster (according to Dorion).

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You could be right. I hadn't really contemplated the side preference, given the team has shown in past it doesn't care too much about this and moves guys to the wrong side (too often, I'd say).

who exactly has been rushed recently?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
who exactly has been rushed recently?

Lehner, for one. I understand there have been injuries, but the team should have grabbed a veteran goalie from somewhere to play back-up in Ottawa, while Lehner spent the year in Bingo.

I also believe Karlsson was rushed last year, which they eventually corrected by sending him down. No major harm was done, although I think he might be even more consistent this year in the NHL if he spent the majority of last year in Bingo.

Wiercioch should have been encouraged to spent another year in college, in stead they encouraged him to turn pro when he wasn't ready physically.

That's three of our top prospects in the last 18 months that have been rushed.

member 30781

It's juniors. Obviously it's easier to score in juniors than it is in the NHL.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Lehner, for one. I understand there have been injuries, but the team should have grabbed a veteran goalie from somewhere to play back-up in Ottawa, while Lehner spent the year in Bingo.

I also believe Karlsson was rushed last year, which they eventually corrected by sending him down. No major harm was done, although I think he might be even more consistent this year in the NHL if he spent the majority of last year in Bingo.

Wiercioch should have been encouraged to spent another year in college, in stead they encouraged him to turn pro when he wasn't ready physically.

That's three of our top prospects in the last 18 months that have been rushed.

Lehner is up here due to Leclaire that is outside the organizations control. Once Leclaire is ready Lehner will be send back down.

Karlsson wasnt really rushed it is process he looked like he make an impact then slowed down and got sent down and brought back up. That is not being rushed. That is knowing how to evaluate young talent properly.

Weirchioch has already dominated college he has nothing to learn there and everything to learn at the AHL level. He has also been much better recently players tke time to adjust to the pro's that should be expected for every prospect at some point.

Rushing Lehner would be playing him in the nhl right now instead we went out and got Anderson.

Karlsson obviously is ready for the NHL ready and wasnt rushed just look what he is doing at this level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad