Jared Cowen

Aristocles14

Aug 27, 2003
London, Ontario
Visit site
I often hear how Jared Cowan is more of an defensive defence-men and that he will be that type of player when he get to the NHL likely next season. Then I see that Cowan has put up 16 goals, 25 assists for 41 points and a plus 38 to boot in 49 games this season in the WHL.

I have not seen him play personally and I have to wonder which player is the he will turn out to be when he gets to the NHL? The defensive player that uses his size to shut down other players or an offensive player that will kick in some PIM?

Thoughts

Milan the God*

I personally don't see him racking up the points at the NHL level but you never know. He'll be a defense first defenseman who gets second unit PP time and uses his reach to make smart defensive plays.

I'm excited the most for Cowen with him, Rundblad and Wiercioch.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I wouldn't expect HUGE offensive totals, but once this guy has 3, 4, 5+ years under his belt his offense could come around. I wouldn't be shocked if one or two years he gets 40 points.

4thliner*

Jared Cowen is a great skater for his size. So he is no lol Hal Gilzz. The injury only set him back a bit other wise he is already into his 2nd year in the NHL, but he is now the player everyone though he would be, a big tough future top pairing 2 way shutdown dman. His point shot is also a canon and can move the puck and joins the rush.

His defence is well, the best defensive prospect outside of the NHL.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
The Derian Hatcher comparison seems quite fair. I doubt he'll be as successful as Derian was considering how different of an era this is, but I think his offensive numbers will be similar to Derian's.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He'll likely be a top pairing, 20-30P defensive beast.

Lock the guy in a garage, give him a golf ball and a hockey stick and make him practice his puckhandling and he could be a Brent Seabrook.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
The Derian Hatcher comparison seems quite fair. I doubt he'll be as successful as Derian was considering how different of an era this is, but I think his offensive numbers will be similar to Derian's.

He's a hell of a lot faster than Hatcher.

I think any big offensive numbers shouldn't be expected. He will be a sub-20 pt DMan for his first few years I'd guess, but in his peak I could see him consistently finishing with 25-35 points. His niche will be defence, though. That's what I'm really excited about.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
He's going to be good and hard to play against but he's never going to make a lot of noise because he's never going to put up big points for a d-man.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
He's a hell of a lot faster than Hatcher.

I think any big offensive numbers shouldn't be expected. He will be a sub-20 pt DMan for his first few years I'd guess, but in his peak I could see him consistently finishing with 25-35 points. His niche will be defence, though. That's what I'm really excited about.

Yes, he's definitely a better skater than Hatcher was and he won't have the same problems as Hatcher had post-lockout, but I doubt he'll be as much of a beast as Hatcher was defensively when his mobility was less of a problem.

I think he's a gem though and he'll likely be able to fill Phillips' shoes in a not so distant future.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
He'll likely be a top pairing, 20-30P defensive beast.

Lock the guy in a garage, give him a golf ball and a hockey stick and make him practice his puckhandling and he could be a Brent Seabrook.

I think the high end of Cowen's mold given WHL production, frame, and where he is at 19 comes close to where Shea Weber probably was. Weber developed greatly in his first couple years in the league, he developed the requisite tight quarters mobility and puck handling needed to make quick decisions on an NHL powerplay. Can Cowen? Maybe, maybe not.

I would project him to be better than Phillips ever was, and in the past Phillips was pretty underrated around the league. But this is an eventual 6'5 250 dman that moves surprisingly well at 19. He's a different player in Spokane than what you would have seen in either of his WJCs either...the Chiefs rely on him to carry the puck and he does it well.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Yes, he's definitely a better skater than Hatcher was and he won't have the same problems as Hatcher had post-lockout, but I doubt he'll be as much of a beast as Hatcher was defensively when his mobility was less of a problem.

I think he's a gem though and he'll likely be able to fill Phillips' shoes in a not so distant future.

By beast do you mean physically? Because I agree, he won't be quite as physical but I do think he will be better in terms of pure defence- taking the puck away, cutting guys off at the blueline, and just pure positioning.

As for Phillips, as much as I friggin adore him as a hockey player (especially last year), I think Cowen will be better offensively and much more physical. In terms of pure defence, I think if he hits Phillips level that would be great. I'd say maybe a little below, but his physicality, mobility, shot, and puck rushing will make him an overall better player than Big Rig.

SensFan2010

May 26, 2010
I think he will be top-pairing defensive dman who regularly puts up 30+ points with few 40 pt seasons in his prime. Cowen-Karlsson will be one of the best top-pairings in the league for very long time.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
He's not going to be the go-to-guy offensively in Ottawa with Karlsson and Rundblad in the organization, but if he improves his hands he could put up decent points in a good system. Maybe a few years at ~30-35. His shot is pretty hard.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
20-25 point player, who plays against the other teams top lines, top 10 PK guy in the NHL, the type of player who gets better in the playoffs.

Probably down the road will wear a letter, could be a 'C' candidate.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Jared Cowen is a great skater for his size. So he is no lol Hal Gilzz. The injury only set him back a bit other wise he is already into his 2nd year in the NHL, but he is now the player everyone though he would be, a big tough future top pairing 2 way shutdown dman. His point shot is also a canon and can move the puck and joins the rush.

His defence is well, the best defensive prospect outside of the NHL.

He also handles the puck like a grenade, which is his biggest weakness.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
he should get 30-40 pts as long as Rundblad or Karlsson are on the same PP unit as him

We can use his heavy shot on the point and have karlsson/Rundblad carry the puck up the ice sorta like we did with Chara back in the day

Manny*

I see him showing Kurtis Foster type offence. Respected for his point shot, and getting points from rebounds and deflections.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
He needs to practice his puck-handling skills.

Most his points come from rebounds, and dump-ins.

Although he's starting to carry the puck more, i'd like to see him do it more often but most importantly consistently

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think the main reason a lot of people aren't that high on Cowen is due to his WJC performances. Most people (myself included) have only really seen him at the WJCs, where he hasn't played great. I remember him being awful in 2010, and didn't notice him a tonne in 2011. Big, tough, good skater for his size, he didn't strike me as amazing defensively or particularly talented offensively at the WJCs but I totally realize that's a tiny sample size. Obviously he must have shown a lot more in the WHL, because scouts seem fairly high on him, and they definitely know a lot more than me!

4thliner*

His puck skills are fine and he does not handle the puck like a grenade lol

I've seen him dominate the memorial cup as a 16 year old and didn't notice any of that.

Again, someone that joins the rush and carries the puck into the offensive zone for his team can not be such a terrible puck handler.

Manny*

I think the main reason a lot of people aren't that high on Cowen is due to his WJC performances. Most people (myself included) have only really seen him at the WJCs, where he hasn't played great. I remember him being awful in 2010, and didn't notice him a tonne in 2011. Big, tough, good skater for his size, he didn't strike me as amazing defensively or particularly talented offensively at the WJCs but I totally realize that's a tiny sample size. Obviously he must have shown a lot more in the WHL, because scouts seem fairly high on him, and they definitely know a lot more than me!

I think this is a good thing with Cowen. No team managed to score an even-strength goal while he was on the ice until the final game. For whatever reason, opponents have lots of difficulty scoring while he's on the ice.

I think that's a pretty special attribute. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what he does to neuter offence, but he manages to do it consistently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad