WJC: Jared Cowen

• Thread starter Tavaresmagicalplay*
  • Start date

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Seriously, the kid is gonna go back to Spokane a much worse player than when he left the team for the WJC thanks to the coaching staff of team Canada.

Given that he dominated before the tournament, even with a questionable knee, only makes me more excited when he recovers properly. He might need a few games to readjust, but I think he's good enough and mature enough to know this isn't the be all end all of his career. I hope he comes out of this pissed and ready to play.

Mach 9*

OMG world's over bad tournament.

The team Canada staff is ridiculous. Thank you

Cowen still has 17 points in 27 games in the WHL , is their Captain and is a Solid +16, one of the better ratings in the league (can't say how so though, because they don't have+/- leaders on the site...)

I'l just do one quick Comparison, to Tyler Myers

Myers - 42 points in 58 games

Myers in last years WJC 1 goal, 1 point ,+5
Cowen in this years WJC (same age as Myers last year) 1 assist, 1 point +4

I have no worries

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
Shouldn't have made the team in the first place. By far canada's worst player since this tournament started. Don't bring stats into this either, anyone with a pair of eyes and a brain knows how badly this guy sheeet the bed.

Mach 9*

Shouldn't have made the team in the first place. By far canada's worst player since this tournament started. Don't bring stats into this either, anyone with a pair of eyes and a brain knows how badly this guy sheeet the bed.

I know, He played horrible.

Did you see Chara play at age 19 ?

source

Jul 13, 2008
OMG world's over bad tournament.

The team Canada staff is ridiculous. Thank you

Cowen still has 17 points in 27 games in the WHL , is their Captain and is a Solid +16, one of the better ratings in the league (can't say how so though, because they don't have+/- leaders on the site...)

I'l just do one quick Comparison, to Tyler Myers

Myers - 42 points in 58 games

Myers in last years WJC 1 goal, 1 point ,+5
Cowen in this years WJC (same age as Myers last year) 1 assist, 1 point +4

I have no worries

Myers was a force on defense last year, Cowen was benched this year. There is a difference.

Myers has since developed a capable offensive game at the NHL-level while we have yet to see anything like that from Cowen.

It's possible that his poor performance is entirely attributable to a combination of low confidence and a bad knee, but I think part of it is that he just isn't ready for that level of competition.

Mach 9*

Myers was a force on defense last year, Cowen was benched this year. There is a difference.

Myers has since developed a capable offensive game at the NHL-level while we have yet to see anything like that from Cowen.

It's possible that his poor performance is entirely attributable to a combination of low confidence and a bad knee, but I think part of it is that he just isn't ready for that level of competition.

I agree.

WHL is no where near some of it's junior counterparts

Mach 9*

Chara wasn't picked 9th overall.

:facepalm:

how does that have anything to do with anything.

It doesn't matter where your picked, but how you develop.

Senators management is already bad enough at handling prospects, the Team Canada staff isn't helping at all.

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa
I dont know how else the coaching staff should have delt with him he couldnt make a breakout pass.

They should've just cut him from the team. As excited as I was for a Senator prospect to be playing on team Canada, I think the WJHC actually hurt his development.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I live in Kelowna and got to watch Myers a lot last year. And he had spurts of bad play like Cowen. Just some nights where all he had was his size and his skating ability (which Cowen will have when the knee heals). Myers didn't have that great of a WJC last year as well.

This happened to Pietrangelo last year. Looked like **** one year, came back as Canada's top defenseman and a guy with a bright future. The bad thing is that most fans don't get a chance to watch the player outside the WJC so they make their opinions on Cowen entirely based on his play in Regina. In other words Cowen is a bust lolz.

source

Jul 13, 2008
I live in Kelowna and got to watch Myers a lot last year. And he had spurts of bad play like Cowen. Just some nights where all he had was his size and his skating ability (which Cowen will have when the knee heals). Myers didn't have that great of a WJC last year as well.

This happened to Pietrangelo last year. Looked like **** one year, came back as Canada's top defenseman and a guy with a bright future. The bad thing is that most fans don't get a chance to watch the player outside the WJC so they make their opinions on Cowen entirely based on his play in Regina. In other words Cowen is a bust lolz.

Good insight. Some players just take longer to pan out than others, even top picks. I know they aren't defencemen, but just look at Blake Wheeler and Bobby Ryan.

Hopefully the Sens org has more patience with the kid than the Team Canada staff. :shakehead

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Myers didn't get benched like Cowen did. They played a forward on D over him!

Alfredsson11

Nov 11, 2008
Its amazing how much emphasis posters put on this tournament when determining the future of prospects.

Theres a reason why he was picked to play for Team Canada. Everybody would agree that he struggled all tournament long, but being selected for this team is an honor in itself, that says a lot about the player and what he has accomplished. It says very little on what he will accomplish in the future.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Its amazing how much emphasis posters put on this tournament when determining the future of prospects.

Theres a reason why he was picked to play for Team Canada. Everybody would agree that he struggled all tournament long, but being selected for this team is an honor in itself, that says a lot about the player and what he has accomplished. It says very little on what he will accomplish in the future.

dot.

General Borschevsky

Jan 10, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Good insight. Some players just take longer to pan out than others, even top picks. I know they aren't defencemen, but just look at Blake Wheeler and Bobby Ryan.

Hopefully the Sens org has more patience with the kid than the Team Canada staff. :shakehead

Yeah, this is all true. Defencemen are particularly unpredictable this way. Cowen could take four years to crack the NHL and still turn into a star for Ottawa, there's no rush to get him playing against pros.

The only thing I'd add is that you can't really confuse player development with the junior program. Team Canada's job is to win, in any way possible, they aren't there to help anybody's development or give icetime where it isn't earned. Its hard to criticize them really, Cowen didn't look like he was ready to contribute for whatever reason, so they were forced into that decision. Still, I don't know why they didn't get him some icetime later in the swiss game, just on the outside chance that they'd need him. It really couldn't have hurt imo, but thats their choice I guess.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Coach Willie's a tool. Wow, could the Canadian team have ever used a 6'5", 230 pound defender who led the Chiefs to a championship against the US, but by the time that came up it was too late. He had been benched for the Swiss game and there was no fixing his confidence. I wish he had been cut, but now he can get out of what must have been a personal hell for him - and get back to playing hockey with Spokane.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Cowen needs a bail out IMO, his stock has been hammered over the past week, it's collapsing.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Year in and year out people put way too much emphasis on this two week tournament when evaluating the NHL potential of prospects, and year in year out those people are proven to be wrong. But what can I say, the majority of posters on this site aren't all that bright.

Jared Cowen doesn't suck. Nazem Kadri isn't going to turn out to be a terrible player. And that Swiss goalie isn't guaranteed to be a star.

How these guys have performed in their previous 3 junior season and NHL training camps is significantly more important than one WJC, and in Cowen's case, he's been great. 6 games doesn't change that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad