Confirmed with Link: Jared Cowen signed to PTO [Released]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's also possible Avs will use waiver priority to grab a player or two teams are trying to sneak down. But that almost always happens after training camp starts so they won't be available for Avs training camp.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm just afraid one of these bums will go nuts in training camp and earn a contract based on overachieving while fighting for their career.

I guess Avs going ixnay on the Glencross and Meszaros should offer some consolation but there is still some risk here.

Isn't that what happened with Rork last camp (& with Skille before him)? Before Rene went on to keep it up through one of the hardest working seasons of his career. :dunno:

If Cowen's hip surgery really fixed his mobility and he can do the Guenin thing next to Barrie, is it really so much worse than sticking Barberio in that spot just cause Bigras isn't ready? I'm a little worried, but I'd be a lot worried if the avs hadn't shown that they'd let these PTO guys go if they really don't have anything to offer...and if the guys who have gone nuts in camp to save their careers & win contracts, hadn't gone on to do well in depth roles on those contracts.

Sakic has clearly learned to sell the ****tiness of the team to free agents.

tenor.gif

I wish HF had a better laughing-my-a**-off emoji

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Y'all better hope that Compher and Jost develop into solid centers by next summer... otherwise that 7 year $7m per contract is coming.

Funny thing is regardless of what Jost/Compher do this season, I want Little on this team next year. Still think he's a great #2C and would fit quite well behind Mack and on a line with Landeskog.

....But, 7x7 would be awful. Though I also dont think the Avs(Or anyone) gives him that. 5-6 years and 5.5-6M I see happening, and I'd be ok with that.

As for the Cowen PTO. Dont love it but dont hate it. PTO does not mean contract, he still has to come in and earn it. We'll see how he does in training camp but it should be a good signal to the rookies that they have to really bring it at training camp as well. All spots will have to be earned and not just given.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Isn't that what happened with Rork last camp (& with Skille before him)? Before Rene went on to keep it up through one of the hardest working seasons of his career. :dunno:

If Cowen's hip surgery really fixed his mobility and he can do the Guenin thing next to Barrie, is it really so much worse than sticking Barberio in that spot just cause Bigras isn't ready? I'm a little worried, but I'd be a lot worried if the avs hadn't shown that they'd let these PTO guys go if they really don't have anything to offer...and if the guys who have gone nuts in camp to save their careers & win contracts, hadn't gone on to do well in depth roles on those contracts.

I wish HF had a better laughing-my-a**-off emoji

I didn't think Barberio was a problem last year. In fact, I felt he was one of the better d-men. Yes, he was playing above where I would normally like to pencil him in, but I thought he did well enough all things considered. And while, I'd still prefer him to be a third pairing dman, I gotta believe he's better capable of playing the second pairing than Cowen.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I didn't think Barberio was a problem last year. In fact, I felt he was one of the better d-men. Yes, he was playing above where I would normally like to pencil him in, but I thought he did well enough all things considered. And while, I'd still prefer him to be a third pairing dman, I gotta believe he's better capable of playing the second pairing than Cowen.

Barberio did some good things, but he's just not consistent enough to play that many minutes. Ideally Bigras kills it in camp and wins the spot next to Barrie; so Barberio can play next to Mironov on the third pairing...assuming no Duchene trade.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Barberio did some good things, but he's just not consistent enough to play that many minutes. Ideally Bigras kills it in camp and wins the spot next to Barrie; so Barberio can play next to Mironov on the third pairing...assuming no Duchene trade.

Ok gotcha...that's what I was trying to say as well.

He didn't look as out of place as I expected and showed that in short spurts, he's capable of moving up a pairing for injuries...I definitely agree...third pairing is where I would prefer him to be though.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think we should hold off our worries until he actually gets a real contract. I don't want him on the team either, but we do know for a fact that Sakic doesn't sign every PTO that comes his way.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Slow, dumb, no skill, and a lefty. This makes no sense. Is he the ONLY guy we could get on a PTO?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Slow, dumb, no skill, and a lefty.

Lefty is a good thing, BTW. To be fair he was a top 10 pick in 2010 (so people thought he has a decent upside back then) and started having hip issues just 2 years later, in 2012. That probably slowed his development down quite a bit.

He's only 26 now (entering his prime) so who knows if he can bring something now that he had surgery? Our left side sucks and there's no risk there IMO. Worst case scenario we sign him and he's another Siemens.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Lefty is a good thing, BTW. To be fair he was a top 10 pick in 2010 (so people thought he has a decent upside back then) and started having hip issues just 2 years later, in 2012. That probably slowed his development down quite a bit.

He's only 26 now (entering his prime) so who knows if he can bring something now that he had surgery? Our left side sucks and there's no risk there IMO. Worst case scenario we sign him and he's another Siemens.
Cowen is a god awful defenseman. At least Siemens can skate. Cowen is a terrible skater.

I'm guessing he gets hurt before he even plays a preseason game. He's horrible. Don't even want to watch him in a preseason game.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

EJ and Barrie are our only right hand Dmen. We are going to end up with 6 lefties.

I know you are obsessed with draft status, but that means nothing 7 years later. Absolutely nothing.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I just hope his enthusiasm does not translate into injuring one of our young forwards in camp. Lets hope hes still too slow for that.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Avs need a 7/8 guy that is not losing development time in the pressbox. No risk test run. I am all for the Avs bringing in 2-3 guys like this to camp to push some players and maybe find someone who can contribute.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Avs need a 7/8 guy that is not losing development time in the pressbox. No risk test run. I am all for the Avs bringing in 2-3 guys like this to camp to push some players and maybe find someone who can contribute.

Boy that seems like a good idea in theory, but no, it won't work out that way. Someone will get hurt or play poorly and Cowen will get the Hunwick treatment. I don't want him anywhere near this roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad