Waived: Jared Coreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And replace him with who?

I'm like you, I have some pretty strong reservations about McBackup but we're stuck with him unless a decent option becomes available and I don't think that's out there at the moment

I'm like you, I have some pretty strong reservations about McBackup but we're stuck with him unless a decent option becomes available and I don't think that's out there at the moment
Then who do you want? I am looking around the league and I am either seeing not much better, or a lot more expensive. It'd be nice to pay 3 mill on a backup, but that's not feasible when you may only get a few more wins than an 850k McElhinney.

Only 7 guys did better than McElhinney's .917 with >10 games and <40 games last year: Dell (SJS - .931), Howard (DET - .927), Grubauer (WSH - .926), Darling (CHI - .924), Saros (NSH - .923), Nilsson (BUF - .923), Raanta (NYR - .922)... Quick also only played 17 games due to injury and put up a .917, Budaj came in and played 53 games in relief and put up .917 as well.

Dell was a 28 year old 6'0" rookie last year. Saros was playing his first full season as a backup. Nilsson went on to get a longer term 2.5 mill contract from Vancouver. Darling and Raanta are now penciled as starters with new big money contracts. Howard made like 5.3 mill last year and looks to be the starter for Detroit again this year.

If you take out the Columbus stretch that boosts his numbers a bit, he's at a .914 with the Leafs last year. That adds a few more names, but other than Kinkaid, they all made a ton of money last season or will make a ton of money this upcoming season (Condon, Halak, Luongo, Bernier, etc.). Pretty much the only cost effective guys are Kinkaid (who is about as mediocre as McElhinney) and guys who, last year, were about as unproven as Sparks right now.

So really who is out there. Unless we are talking guys making 2+ mill as a backup, we are talking about guys who are going to be about as effective as McElhinney but who are maybe a few years younger (not that age matters for a backup since you are only giving short-term commitments).

The guy I wanted wen to Buffalo in Chad Johnson So I am hoping that when Buffalo is out of it at the deadline, because I don't see Buffalo as a playoff team that we can pick up Chad Johnson, for now we are stuck with Mcbackup which means if Andersen goes down this team better score A LOT or we are f***ed.

See I don't mind spending 2+ million on a backup because I think goaltending is that important I think you need 2 capable guys case in point the pens last year, they don't win a championship without Fluery.

Now that's an extreme example because Fluery isn't the average backup, but the point remains the same you need 2 capable guys ask Ottawa where they'd be without Condon?

Now ask yourself do you trust Mcbackup to carry the load if Andersen goes down long term?

The guy has been garbage outside of last year, your answer should be no

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
The guy I wanted wen to Buffalo in Chad Johnson So I am hoping that when Buffalo is out of it at the deadline, because I don't see Buffalo as a playoff team that we can pick up Chad Johnson, for now we are stuck with Mcbackup which means if Andersen goes down this team better score A LOT or we are ****ed.

See I don't mind spending 2+ million on a backup because I think goaltending is that important I think you need 2 capable guys case in point the pens last year, they don't win a championship without Fluery.

Now that's an extreme example because Fluery isn't the average backup, but the point remains the same you need 2 capable guys ask Ottawa where they'd be without Condon?

Now ask yourself do you trust Mcbackup to carry the load if Andersen goes down long term?

The guy has been garbage outside of last year, your answer should be no

good lord you think Chad Johnson would be able to carry the mail if Andersen goes down? I mean honestly, we'd be f***ed with any back up other than maybe Mike Condon. After a good start, Johnson finished with a .910sv% with Calgary last year. It's just more of this grass-is-greener disease with Leaf fans.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
good lord you think Chad Johnson would be able to carry the mail if Andersen goes down? I mean honestly, we'd be ****ed with any back up other than maybe Mike Condon. After a good start, Johnson finished with a .910sv% with Calgary last year. It's just more of this grass-is-greener disease with Leaf fans.

I live in Alberta I watched Chad Johnson steal Elliott's job and run with it for quite a while.

Calgary doesn't make the playoffs without Chad Johnson and that's a fact.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Coreau just isn't that good. I'd prefer either of our AHL tenders to be called up an given a shot. If the Red Wings are waiving him, that should tell you something.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
There's a reason hes called Mcbackup, we don't need a young guy who thinks he can do more, we need a guy who knows the role and knows what is expected.

Yes we need to keep stocking the cupboards, but we can do that through draft and development and without taking in every stray that becomes available.

Reactions: iSophagus

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I live in Alberta I watched Chad Johnson steal Elliott's job and run with it for quite a while.

Calgary doesn't make the playoffs without Chad Johnson and that's a fact.
I'm with you on this one. Chad Johnson is one of the better backups around, and he's capable of playing stretches as a starter.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Coreau just isn't that good. I'd prefer either of our AHL tenders to be called up an given a shot. If the Red Wings are waiving him, that should tell you something.

It does, it tells me they have 2 goalies making over 9 million combined

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
There's a reason hes called Mcbackup, we don't need a young guy who thinks he can do more, we need a guy who knows the role and knows what is expected.

Yes we need to keep stocking the cupboards, but we can do that through draft and development and without taking in every stray that becomes available.

He's McBackup because no one can pronounce or spell McElhinney.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Well things just got real interesting in Vegas, Subban got claimed, which means they have 3 goalies, which means Pickard might be on the chopping black for some reason.

Now I know I didn't want him before we got Andersen but that was as a starter, bring him in now and he becomes the backup and Mcbackup goes to the Marlies and you have

Andersen
Pickard
Mcbackup
Sparks

Still like to see the Marlies situation upgraded but the NHL team would look solid

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well things just got real interesting in Vegas, Subban got claimed, which means they have 3 goalies, which means Pickard might be on the chopping black for some reason.

Now I know I didn't want him before we got Andersen but that was as a starter, bring him in now and he becomes the backup and Mcbackup goes to the Marlies and you have

Andersen
Pickard
Mcbackup
Sparks

Still like to see the Marlies situation upgraded but the NHL team would look solid

I could live with Pickard, he's a genuine upgrade over McBackup with some room for improvement

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

Andersen
Pickard
Mcbackup
Sparks

I could be wrong, but I believe that if no other team made a claim for Subban then he can be assigned to the AHL. So Vegas can keep all 3, in that case. It's also possible that they waive Subban again, and he clears. Teams usually aren't cut-throat with waivers.

Besides, McBackup is good at his job. And if Andersen goes down for an extended period of time it can be dealt with then. There's half a dozen goalies who can be had for cheap and might be able to do the job, like a Budaj type.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I could be wrong, but I believe that if no other team made a claim for Subban then he can be assigned to the AHL. So Vegas can keep all 3, in that case. It's also possible that they waive Subban again, and he clears. Teams usually aren't cut-throat with waivers.

Besides, McBackup is good at his job. And if Andersen goes down for an extended period of time it can be dealt with then. There's half a dozen goalies who can be had for cheap and might be able to do the job, like a Budaj type.

The problem is Mcbackup is not good at his job, you think he is because he had 1 good year, last year but the rest of his career by NHL standard has been garbage

Also Subban would need to be waived again with Boston getting 1st shot at him

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
The problem is Mcbackup is not good at his job, you think he is because he had 1 good year, last year but the rest of his career by NHL standard has been garbage

Also Subban would need to be waived again with Boston getting 1st shot at him

Are you judging that based on stats alone? Because the backup goalie has to do a lot more than just put up a .900 SV% every 4th game. His attitude, demeanour, work ethic, and self-expectations off the ice are all part of the job.

Everyone with a connection to the organization, or experience as an NHL goalie keep saying the same thing: McBackup works well in Toronto with Andersen, and the coaching/management staff likes him. He is good at his job, and he is staying.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Are you judging that based on stats alone? Because the backup goalie has to do a lot more than just put up a .900 SV% every 4th game. His attitude, demeanour, work ethic, and self-expectations off the ice are all part of the job.

Everyone with a connection to the organization, or experience as an NHL goalie keep saying the same thing: McBackup works well in Toronto with Andersen, and the coaching/management staff likes him. He is good at his job, and he is staying.

all those same things were said about Enroth to remember how that worked out? he failed and Mcbackup will too.

Everybody has a career year,Mcbackup had his and now now he will revert back to what he actually is, a trash pile backup that will need to be replaced by January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad