GDT: | January 28th | 1900hrs EST | Pens vs Wings | We dont fly so we dont need no wings!

What is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
It's funny because we've won so much lately, but fortune changes quickly in this league. We haven't been playing all that well of a structured defensive game lately, and several players have gone cold - this is a big game to bounce back and win.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... and hear me out because this is nuts... it could just be that winning 17 out of 20 is extremely impressive and difficult to achieve and the other shoe was always going to drop at some point.

If I were juggling bowling pins for two straight days and started to complain my arms were tired I'd fully expect some of you to start coming up with insane theories as to what had suddenly changed.

"It's because it snowed today and the precipitation is causing extra weight on the pins! Damn you, snow!"

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
I love Geno but man isn’t it funny as soon as he comes back we start becoming this high risk non structured group. Has to be some correlation.

Sully keeps talking about it but it seemingly continues regardless. The season is a long grind and it’s hard to play that way for 82 games but it’s still interesting nonetheless.

Reactions: ronduguayshair

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
It's funny because we've won so much lately, but fortune changes quickly in this league. We haven't been playing all that well of a structured defensive game lately, and several players have gone cold - this is a big game to bounce back and win.
Part of that is because the PP has improved and our goal rate went up since Malkin's arrival. It's masking some of our flaws, as is of course Jarry.
We've scored 34 goals in the 8 games since Geno returned. 4.25 GF/G.
We were at 3.14 GF/G on the season before that.

So our structure has suffered, but it hasn't been without benefits. If you score 4 goals a game you're gonna find a way to win a lot, especially when you have good goaltending.

Even yesterday our PP came through (1 for 2) and got us a point that we may have squandered late.

Reactions: Trade and Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also does anyone realize how ridiculous they sound when we're sitting here like halfway through a very long regular season and the expectation is to play super structured playoff-style hockey all year?

Completely unreasonable. The coach can preach it as much as he wants... that's his job. I assure you even he doesn't actually expect it.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Also does anyone realize how ridiculous they sound when we're sitting here like halfway through a very long regular season and the expectation is to play super structured playoff-style hockey all year?

Completely unreasonable. The coach can preach it as much as he wants... that's his job. I assure you even he doesn't actually expect it.
Yep, especially with our heavy schedule lately. These guys are human beings, not androids.
Today will be the 6th game in 9 days.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yep, especially with our heavy schedule lately. These guys are human beings, not androids.

I mean it's super obvious what is going on here, right? All these concerns just NOW coming to light?

It's so transparent and old. I'm just tired of it. I wish dude would seriously just skip town at this point and the team DID play Jeff flipping Carter as 2C. Do it! I'd love to hear the crickets next season after a shitshow like that went down. It would ALMOST be worth it.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I mean it's super obvious what is going on here, right? All these concerns just NOW coming to light?

It's so transparent and old. I'm just tired of it. I wish dude would seriously just skip town at this point and the team DID play Jeff flipping Carter as 2C. Do it! I'd love to hear the crickets next season after a shitshow like that went down. It would ALMOST be worth it.
Yeah I wish there was more respect. He has 4 goals, 6 assists already. No ENG's. Took Sid 20 games to reach 4.
The PP is up to 19th now. Was like 27th I believe before.

A little too much focus on the negatives. They exist, but they're not the only things going on here from a process standpoint. People whined about the PP all year before.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I wish there was more respect. He has 4 goals already, none of which are empty netters. Took Sid 20 games to reach 4.
The PP is up to 19th now. Was like 27th I believe before.

A little too much focus on the negatives. They exist, but they're not the only things going on here. People whined about the PP all year before.

It's clowncar stuff. Predictable but still.

The team is absolutely ripping shit up and lose a tight game in OT against a non-divisional team and it's the end of the world. I was seriously ashamed of that PGT last night and I'm used to how stupid the internet is and typically have a bit of a cynical edge, myself.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yinz do realize it's like 3 people with alt accounts right? :laugh:

Honestly I really don't think it is.

I would never make this suggestion otherwise but go troll some Penguins-related social media and tell me what you find.

I'm beginning to come around on the idea that there is a large segment of this fanbase that should just stick to football or whatever.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We have like 17 wins in our last 20 and the sky is falling
That records damn impressive no matter how you slice it. That said there are some negative trends that need to be remedied a bit. As I said last night losing Teddy is a bigger loss than one might at first glance think. Those types of players help you win. Role players and the quality of those guys can make a significant difference between winning and losing.

If McGinn, Teddy, Heinen and ERod are all running hot thats a huge variable in our favor. And if Zucker ever gets right we have four very formidable lines. With Teddy being out as well as zucker and Heinen largely being a no show that's a decided turn downward. We need other guys to step up a bit.

Better puck management and paying closer attention to detail can go a long way also.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
It's clowncar stuff. Predictable but still.

The team is absolutely ripping shit up and lose a tight game in OT against a non-divisional team and it's the end of the world. I was seriously ashamed of that PGT last night and I'm used to how stupid the internet is and typically have a bit of a cynical edge, myself.
Yeah and on top of everything the structure hasn't even been bad the last few games outside of 1 period.
Arizona had 16 shots.
Seattle had 11 through 2 periods.

High danger chances vs Columbus was 15-9 Pens. 9 is a reasonable number that we've been hovering around all year when we played well defensively.

The last period was a setback for sure, but we are trending the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad