GDT: January 11th - Penguins @ Flames [8:00pm on CBC]

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Well whatever works for y'all. You've grown on me because I just like getting along with people. If I get along with the fanbase of another team, I tend to like them by default.

Wish you the best. :)

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Just got home from the game. Besides the last 10 minutes the Flames played pretty poorly. The powerplay was brutally bad. Backlund had a great game, easily the best Flames player. Was happy to see him score a goal. He contained Crosby all night and limited him to 4 chances off the rush only. The team was also very undisciplined. The first goal was a direct result of Colborne being and idiot and retaliating multiple times even after the ref told him to move on. I think going on the road for a few games is the best thing right now for the team.

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Just got home from the game. Besides the last 10 minutes the Flames played pretty poorly. The powerplay was brutally bad. Backlund had a great game, easily the best Flames player. Was happy to see him score a goal. He contained Crosby all night and limited him to 4 chances off the rush only. The team was also very undisciplined. The first goal was a direct result of Colborne being and idiot and retaliating multiple times even after the ref told him to move on. I think going on the road for a few games is the best thing right now for the team.

Disagree, they played very well in the first. The Kunitz goal was just an Olympian sniping another olympian lol. Other than that, solid period. The second was a weaker one, but I think they played ok then too.

At the very least, they matched the Pens. And at times controlled the play.

It also grinds my gears when people yell "SHOOOOOTTTTTT" while the team's on the PP, the whole point is to get the goalie moving around, then popping in an easy shot, not to try to blast it through a d-man, and his goalie.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Disagree, they played very well in the first. The Kunitz goal was just an Olympian sniping another olympian lol. Other than that, solid period. The second was a weaker one, but I think they played ok then too.

At the very least, they matched the Pens. And at times controlled the play.

It also grinds my gears when people yell "SHOOOOOTTTTTT" while the team's on the PP, the whole point is to get the goalie moving around, then popping in an easy shot, not to try to blast it through a d-man, and his goalie.
I don't think we were watching the same game then. When you don't even get a shot on net during 3 minutes of a 5 minute major you aren't matching the opposition. The Flames were lucky that Backlund found a way to contain Crosby and Malkin doesn't look like he's back in game shape since his injury.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
**** the ****in **** off **** sake ****er ****in ****

Greatest HF post ever?
I actually laughed out loud when I read this.

This was an okay game. Honestly, it sucks, but it's best we lose a lot more than we win in the remaining 37 games; it's just how it has to be to get better.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Pretty sad we have less than half the points Anaheim has.

Better half the points and in the bottom three, than 2/3rds of the points and out of the playoffs but out of a real lottery chance.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
- Congratulations to Backlund on becoming a 30 goal scorer
- Wi eman is a circus in the defensive zone
- The four Flames who were on the ice when Gio got hit shouldn't have seen the ice again
- Kept it close. Yay! Another moral victory
- I don't care what people think of Mcgrattan. He is one of the few things to be excited about. Nice one punch Grats.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
2-8-0 in the last 10 and what 6 goals total? I know this is a rebuild but give me something to cheer for, bring up the young guys.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
- Congratulations to Backlund on becoming a 30 goal scorer
- Wi eman is a circus in the defensive zone
- The four Flames who were on the ice when Gio got hit shouldn't have seen the ice again
- Kept it close. Yay! Another moral victory
- I don't care what people think of Mcgrattan. He is one of the few things to be excited about. Nice one punch Grats.
I don't understand the bolded. Are you upset that they went after the guy that hit Gio?

fallsviewafro*

Berra played pretty damn well. The two goals weren't great, but he robbed Crosby and Malkin repeatedly all night.

JulianHopper*

Flames Lose 2-1

Very lazy, casual play by Dennis Wideman to clear the zone that ended up being the winning goal.

Good game by Mikael Backlund, nice goal too. Fleury made a save with the back of his helmet earlier from Backlund which would have been a sure goal.

Tough to read Backlund, he has games like this or a couple good games and then nothing. Hopefully he can stay consistent and won't hurt if the Flames got some better players either.

Nice game by Reto Berra and good for him to stop Sidney Crosby on a break away.

Flames 0/5 on the Power play, that's brutal. To me that's a coaching thing, you should be able to score once with five chances.

Special teams again being the difference in the outcome of this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad