Prospect Info: Jani Nyman, 49th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Finnish forward Jani Nyman started his draft year with a breakout performance in the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. He scored three goals and four assists for seven points in five games. He also played for Finland at the European Youth Olympics, where he picked up two goals and two assists in four games and helped them win a gold medal. Nyman also won a bronze medal at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He scored two goals and four points in the six-game tournament.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I like that GMRF is swinging for the moon on these boom-or-bust prospects in the 2nd round. Some of these have to hit. But man, the defensive ineptitude attributed to Nyman makes me really uneasy about this pick. There’s describing shortcomings, and then there’s giving a damning indictment on a total lack of care on the defensive end. Maybe he buys in for the sake of sticking in the league but… come on man.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I like that GMRF is swinging for the moon on these boom-or-bust prospects in the 2nd round. Some of these have to hit. But man, the defensive ineptitude attributed to Nyman makes me really uneasy about this pick. There’s describing shortcomings, and then there’s giving a damning indictment on a total lack of care on the defensive end. Maybe he buys in for the sake of sticking in the league but… come on man.
Black Book is actually kind of high on him and have him at 33.

Jani Nyman is a raw, untapped, hybrid power forward who compensates for awkward and unrefined skating mechanics with his deceptive puck skills, advanced pass reception ability, and exceptional shot quality. He was one of the only players we scouted this season who played full time in Mestis, where his performances varied from dominant to invisible. This represents his roller coaster-like curve as a result of his up and down play. Although enigmatic, he is one of the most fascinating players we evaluated in this draft class, as a result of having the handling ability seen in much smaller players than himself, as well as being the youngest, out of the top end power forwards featured in this class.

Let’s address his massive frame and the difficulties that emerged for Jani as a result of weighing close to 220 pounds. We wouldn’t label him as a bad skater, in fact once he gets going, he can carry himself down a skating lane at a decent speed. It’s not a separating speed but it projects to be passable. The primary difficulty for Nyman was his first couple of steps. A bigger frame requires that much more power than the average prospect to get moving. Although he has some natural power, it seemed to drain his tank quicker. Games that required a lot of up and down transitional play made him effectively useless by the end of some shifts. We think that probably played a factor into why he was so inconsistent.

I am pretty sure he has not grown into his weight/height yet. The upside is certainly there though. There are 3.5 pages of his report in the Black book so he was fairly well scouted.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Black Book is actually kind of high on him and have him at 33.

I am pretty sure he has not grown into his weight/height yet. The upside is certainly there though. There are 3.5 pages of his report in the Black book so he was fairly well scouted.
I hope I’m wrong. The amount of offensive output needed to offset what’s being described as a massive defensive liability is hard to overstate. Or, maybe he finally buys into playing defense. But they’re attributing his shortcomings to motivation. That’s troubling. Here’s what Last Word On Sports says about his defensive game:

The biggest issue with Nyman is his defensive game. His lack of effort without the puck will drive professional coaches crazy. Nyman just seems disinterested in playing without the puck. He gets caught puck-watching in his own end of the ice, waiting for a turnover and then flying the zone looking to create offence. He loses his man, leading to easy passes for scoring chances against. Nyman should be able to use his size and frame to win battles on the boards and to compete in one-on-one situations, but the instances of him doing so are few and far between. Even when he does get engaged in the play, his awareness just isn’t good enough at this point. There is just no way to sugarcoat this, we’ve been scouting the draft since 2012, and there are few draft prospects who need as much work as Nyman does.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Nyman was perhaps the best part of Finland's best line at the U18s. Nyman-Rönni-Halttunen was a handful for opposing defences. The knock on him is consistency and that he's a bit clumsy. It's weird, he has an impressive highlight reel of plays that most players can't pull off, but he's the kind of player that trips over the blueline. Really interesting prospect, with very high upside.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Nyman was perhaps the best part of Finland's best line at the U18s. Nyman-Rönni-Halttunen was a handful for opposing defences. The knock on him is consistency and that he's a bit clumsy. It's weird, he has an impressive highlight reel of plays that most players can't pull off, but he's the kind of player that trips over the blueline. Really interesting prospect, with very high upside.

I’ve imbibed a few today, and this made me laugh more than it might have otherwise, but it made me laugh HARD.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
You can teach a kid how to play Defense

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
You can teach a kid how to play Defense
Yep. It’s tougher to teach a kid to want to play defense.

I get that an entry level contract is pretty good incentive to play D. But it begs the question, if he just wanted to cherry pick through juniors, are we really optimistic that he’s suddenly going to change? I want him to succeed, but I don’t know how someone can read a summary of his defensive game, shrug, and figure “he’s fine, he’ll figure it out.”

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
At one point Pronman - not my most trusted scout - put out a ranking of 2022 draft prospects based solely on upside. If I remember correctly Jani Nyman was top ten on that list.

:popcorn:

• Wow

AarG

Oct 11, 2021
This guy had a massive game today with 2+1 and has now 6 pts (4+2) in 7 games which is very impressive for an 18 year old.

I was wondering if anyone here has watched his games and knows how he has looked so far?

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
This guy had a massive game today with 2+1 and has now 6 pts (4+2) in 7 games which is very impressive for an 18 year old.

I was wondering if anyone here has watched his games and knows how he has looked so far?

Leads the SM-Liiga rookie point even though he has played a little less than other rookies. Ilves leads the SM-Liiga and the team has a lot of depth, so the team rotates a few players and does not let Nyman play consecutive nights yet.

Nyman is big, has a hard shot and scoring attitude. Find scoring opportunities too. A dangerous player in power play and in counterattacks. Develops all the time in the overall game. Brave character and good understanding of the game. Mentally mature for his age and hard-working attitude.

Skating is the weakest area (especially agility and starting speed), but it's also moving forward. Compared to last season, I see a clear development. At the moment, the development looks really good. Nyman is Ilves diamond and in my opinion the most talented Ilves player since Tuukka Rask (more talented in my books than Roope Hintz, Roby Järventie or Lassi Thomson and I have followed all of them since they were 15-16 years old).

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
Let's also say about Nyman (this is from the press conference after yesterday's game from the coach when he was asked why Nyman doesn't play every game) that the reason is that Nyman has time to practice his physique better. At this stage, that individual development comes first. However, if Nyman continues to be this effective, the team can't afford to miss games from him.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
6 goals 3 apples in 14 games in the Liiga what a start! Love to see the goal total anyone have any highlights or clips on his goals?
Yeah. I think its pretty impressive for his first season in the Liiga. I made this comparison earlier too but Kemell had 9 points as well but over 18 games. Different teams and different types of players but it's very promising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad