Prospect Info: Jan Mysak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
I am a huge believer in letting kids develop their offensive game in junior when they're that age. I don't buy this "too good for junior" BS at all. If you have absolutely nothing left to learn in junior, you're in the NHL. The AHL is more for guys who need a bit of time to transition to the men's game. I have yet to see any kid returned to junior who had nothing to take from it.

A wise scout once told me that the AHL is where you put that kid if you don't think he'll ever amount to more than a depth guy, because it will stunt his offensive game at 19. Junior is where you put them if you want to continue the progression as an offensive producer.

Yes and no. NHL is filled with god examples of kids who player a season or two at AHL level and became great NHL players like Point in TB and Kucherov.

Jul 6, 2016
He look alot better than Ylonen yesterday and that's surprising to me.

Honestly, outside of the first line, he and Pezzetta were the best forwards of the team Imo.

Pezzeta could become a useful #13 forward in a not so far future.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Very bad examples. Kucherov played 17 games at 20, and Point 9 games at 18, but went back to juniors at 19. So playing junior at 19 ended up being very good for both, like it was for Suzuki.

Yes and no. NHL is filled with god examples of kids who player a season or two at AHL level and became great NHL players like Point in TB and Kucherov.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

Just a couple points to follow up on this:

1. Point only played a 9-game stint in the AHL after his junior season ended and then went back to junior the next year.
2. Kucherov also only played a short (17 game) stint as a 20 year old.

My point is more that junior-aged players still have plenty to gain by playing in the CHL while eligible, as Point did. Once they're 20, then sure, move on and gain some pro experience as needed. I want to be clear that I'm not against AHL seasoning. I think that's great. But it also isn't the best spot for junior aged kids to hone their offensive game. If they have top-6 potential, let them hone it amongst peers before that next step.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's a lot of offensive upside there - most people have only seen his WJC, AHL and NHL games, in those situations he has played center and been trying to be reliable, in the OHL though, he is a dog on a bone offensively and has a lot of creativity and jam.

Going back to the OHL and being dominant offensively there is absolutely key.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
There's a lot of offensive upside there - most people have only seen his WJC, AHL and NHL games, in those situations he has played center and been trying to be reliable, in the OHL though, he is a dog on a bone offensively and has a lot of creativity and jam.

Even when he's trying to be reliable, you need to be blind to don't see the offensive tools and upside. Like you said let him gain his offensive confidence in JNR, there is no reason to skip step in his development

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think he's going back to Junior even if there is an agreement in place to allow Junior players who played at least 20 games last year to play in the AHL.

Timmins said it in an interview with McCagg that they plan to send him back to Hamilton. But also, with the depth they have in Laval (both center and wing and to the point guys will be sent to 3R), there is no benefit to keep Mysak in Laval.

In Hamilton, he will play 20-minutes on their top line (or Top-6) and play in all situations. And he will also be at the WJC.

I think what he learned playing in Laval last year and this training camp will go a long way in helping him in Hamilton. The kid's got pro hockey written all over him.

Reactions: Tyson and Vachon23

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
This was expected since Timmins said he would be going back to the OHL. There's clearly something there, he's got skill and works hard but needs to add a good bit of strength and mass, which for him being in his age 19 season is not uncommon. He's going to be very interesting to see how the next few years go but for now he's certainly one of our top forward prospects which of course isn't saying a lot as we badly need to draft more help there but I would expect a big season although I haven't looked at the Dogs roster yet.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This was expected since Timmins said he would be going back to the OHL. There's clearly something there, he's got skill and works hard but needs to add a good bit of strength and mass, which for him being in his age 19 season is not uncommon. He's going to be very interesting to see how the next few years go but for now he's certainly one of our top forward prospects which of course isn't saying a lot as we badly need to draft more help there but I would expect a big season although I haven't looked at the Dogs roster yet.

I agree that he's one of our top forward prospects and that we need more help at forward in the cupboard.

However, I'm not in favor of drafting to fill that need while Timmins is here. He simply doesn't consistently find forwards with offensive flair, while he does find good dmen.

Imo, better to draft dmen and trade them for forwards. It's find to draft high offensive iq forwards like Caufield when they are available. But no more targetting forwards, and big forwards and centers. That leads to. Chipchura, dlr, vejdemo, crisp, McCarron, Kk, Galchenyuk, etc.. poehling soon to be on that list?? Hopefully, Timmins has found a new strategy since succeeding with Caufield - and found something in a couple from the pool of Mysak, Farrell, Tuch, Kidney and Kapanen. We'll see.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Dermott is happy today.

The kid has a great attitude, good work ethic, and nice grit for a skilled guy. How much skill does he have? We'll see. Glad he's going back to the OHL. That's the best place to develop his skill and finishing.

If Suzuki could be the next Koivu, could Mysak be a Plekanec? A lot of work to be done. Plekanec did 4 post draft years before coming to the NHL. This upcoming season will only be his 2nd post draft year.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The kid has a great attitude, good work ethic, and nice grit for a skilled guy. How much skill does he have? We'll see. Glad he's going back to the OHL. That's the best place to develop his skill and finishing.
I agree with you, my friend. I think Mysak will be a good player for us in a couple of years.

I can definitely see a decent third-line center in him with some potential to become even more.

Smart kid that's for sure, I hope he has a great year in the OHL.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I like his overall game as he has the skill, smarts and creativity to validate using a 2nd round pick on him. Like almost every junior player he will need to get stronger but he should have no problem there as he isn't relatively weak for his age.

The biggest concern is his speed, he is entirely lacking a separation gear and is a full step behind at the pro level. I feel like he will put in the work and just gaining lower body strength will be a big help. Such improvements are difficult to forecast but this is easily his most significant hurdle.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Not ready. Too frail. Long way to go. Talent is there though. But that looks like 1 year in juniors and maybe 2 years in the AHL.

Talent... and attitude/mindset.

That's a good mix to have and bodes well for his ability to keep adjusting & improving his game to compensate for his limitations.

The Pleks pathway seems like a good upside projection...

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012

I'll have to believe you on this, I haven't seen anything special so far in training camp but he's probably just overwhelmed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I like his overall game as he has the skill, smarts and creativity to validate using a 2nd round pick on him. Like almost every junior player he will need to get stronger but he should have no problem there as he isn't relatively weak for his age.

The biggest concern is his speed, he is entirely lacking a separation gear and is a full step behind at the pro level. I feel like he will put in the work and just gaining lower body strength will be a big help. Such improvements are difficult to forecast but this is easily his most significant hurdle.

that's what I figure, once he hopefully gets a lot of improvement in his lower body strength over the next 3-4 years, that he will be quick enough for a player his size.

Not ready. Too frail. Long way to go. Talent is there though. But that looks like 1 year in juniors and maybe 2 years in the AHL.

I long for the days when we drafted prospects, they played their 2 full years in the CHL and then spent the next 2-3 years in the AHL. Maybe one day we will see MB take this approach with our top prospects.

Talent... and attitude/mindset.

That's a good mix to have and bodes well for his ability to keep adjusting & improving his game to compensate for his limitations.

The Pleks pathway seems like a good upside projection...

for sure, some get mad at the development excuse but even with that there's always some amount of blame on the player as well. You got to want it bad enough and be smart enough to know what you need to do to fix your weaknesses. I loved Bouchard's comments on Mysak and how much he showed him that the kid wanted to learn so badly. That's a great sign.

I'll have to believe you on this, I haven't seen anything special so far in training camp but he's probably just overwhelmed.

For me I can't really say yet cause I have so little to go off. I watched him in the Czech league and it was not pretty. I liked him at the WJC's but I always say not to put much stock good or bad in such a short tournament. I was impressed with his play in Laval for a 18 year old that was clearly overmatched physically and getting limited TOI. I don't know how much offensive upside there is just yet as I don't know him well enough but I will and I do see a path to the NHL for him in time as long as he keeps progressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad