Prospect Info: Jan Mysak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hamilton's rookie camp starts on Tuesday. And the main camp starts on September 2nd.

I imagine Mysak will be at the Bulldogs camp and then head to the Rookie Camp.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Gotta let him tear up the OHL at least one year

Suzuki really took his game to another level when he went back to the OHL for his draft +2 year.

I don't buy that Mysak can't develop/learn in the OHL. He can learn how to be a 1c that plays in all situations and is charged with carrying his team on a deep playoff run. He can't learn that this year in the AHL.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Suzuki really took his game to another level when he went back to the OHL for his draft +2 year.

I don't buy that Mysak can't develop/learn in the OHL. He can learn how to be a 1c that plays in all situations and is charged with carrying his team on a deep playoff run. He can't learn that this year in the AHL.
The only reason Suzuki was sent back to the OHL is that it was NHL or OHL.

I think Mysak would progress just fine if he can play in the AHL.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I didn’t watch the whole game but of all the young players I thought Mysak was among the most noticeable. If he gets a bit stronger and faster this kid should be able to play in the NHL and make an impact.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario

I am a huge believer in letting kids develop their offensive game in junior when they're that age. I don't buy this "too good for junior" BS at all. If you have absolutely nothing left to learn in junior, you're in the NHL. The AHL is more for guys who need a bit of time to transition to the men's game. I have yet to see any kid returned to junior who had nothing to take from it.

A wise scout once told me that the AHL is where you put that kid if you don't think he'll ever amount to more than a depth guy, because it will stunt his offensive game at 19. Junior is where you put them if you want to continue the progression as an offensive producer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gotta let him tear up the OHL at least one year

I support this. Sometimes people say he has nothing more to learn but in some cases, we should allow them to dominate before they are moved up. Guhle is another example. Also allowing them to play their age 19 WJC gives them a show time big tournament. It's safer development road IMO.

Then we also need to consider a winning culture in Laval. Our high draft power and guys on good development tracks are going to provide better results and it's just starting to show.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am a huge believer in letting kids develop their offensive game in junior when they're that age. I don't buy this "too good for junior" BS at all. If you have absolutely nothing left to learn in junior, you're in the NHL. The AHL is more for guys who need a bit of time to transition to the men's game. I have yet to see any kid returned to junior who had nothing to take from it.

A wise scout once told me that the AHL is where you put that kid if you don't think he'll ever amount to more than a depth guy, because it will stunt his offensive game at 19. Junior is where you put them if you want to continue the progression as an offensive producer.

I agree mostly but each case is different. AHL is not 100% for depth or guys you think will never make it. But I do support having guys dominate development leagues before they turn pro. At the end of the day, development path has to be managed differently for each case.

With Mysak, I say one more CHL year and also a WJC. Then maybe one AHL year and he's ready at age 21 (maybe) for the NHL. It's not the end of the world if he only makes the NHL at age 22.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I agree mostly but each case is different. AHL is not 100% for depth or guys you think will never make it. But I do support having guys dominate development leagues before they turn pro. At the end of the day, development path has to be managed differently for each case.

With Mysak, I say one more CHL year and also a WJC. Then maybe one AHL year and he's ready at age 21 (maybe) for the NHL. It's not the end of the world if he only makes the NHL at age 22.

Oh, I didn't mean that in any way to suggest the AHL is just for plugs. It was more a defence of the quality of junior and to dispel this myth that there are a bunch of guys out there who have nothing left to learn in junior at 18 or 19. That's garbage.

History is littered with guys who should have been returned to junior that weren't and whose careers were largely derailed because they were promoted before they were ready. Just in Kitchener (where I am), I can think of Devereaux, Boedker and Morin as examples. All three clearly had work to do on their games and needed their 19 year old season in junior. That is way more common than people think. There is plenty to learn in junior.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Yeah I want to see him playing over 20 minutes a night in the OHL. His defensive game is already pretty refined as it is. He could also be played at wing and C in Hamilton I figure. We all know about his defensive acumen and shot, but I want to see if there's a potential C with good playmaking elements in there as well

He could develop into something like Christian Dvorak if we get lucky

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
He look alot better than Ylonen yesterday and that's surprising to me.

Honestly, outside of the first line, he and Pezzetta were the best forwards of the team Imo.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I didn’t watch the whole game but of all the young players I thought Mysak was among the most noticeable. If he gets a bit stronger and faster this kid should be able to play in the NHL and make an impact.

I think the big challenge for him will be the defensive and possesiion game. Winning draws, working the boards and maintaining possession... so yes getting bigger and faster will help!

Reactions: 1909

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He looks like a futur really good 3rd liner player. Maybe more if he develop his offensive potential, but he looks like a pretty good smart player.

Reactions: 1909 and 26Mats

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Why burn an ELC year by sending him to Laval? The Suzuki example is a great one, ans like Suzuki, Mysak was on the younger side of his draft year. I hope Bergevin learned his lesson with Kotkaniemi. Also, the AHL is a dangerous league. There is always a goon to hit a good young player with a cheap shot. Again, remember KK, a goon charged him and he ended up with a spleen injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad