Jamie Phillips

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Change of position works trick for Jets goalie

Jamie Phillips took a calculated risk that easily could have backfired. Growing disinterested with life as a forward, Phillips was ready to turn his back on hockey, unless his father allowed him to change positions. “I actually started playing goalie when I was 12, a lot later than most kids,” Phillips said on Sunday, the third day of Winnipeg Jets development camp.

“I played forward before that, but I got sick of it. I gave my dad an ultimatum. I said, let me become a goalie or I'm just quitting hockey. “I can't tell you why, but there was something about it that drew me to the position. He let me do it and has supported me the whole way. I love it and I'm really happy that he let me switch (positions). So far it's been working out.”

Phillips, who is listed at 6-foot-3 and 175 pounds, has flown mostly under the radar since the Jets selected him in the seventh round (190th overall) of the 2012 NHL Draft. But after taking over the starting job with the Michigan Tech Huskies of the WCHA last season and putting together a record of 28-9-22 record, a 1.74 goals against average and .933 save percentage, Phillips has many folks wondering what the future might hold once he actually turns pro.

continuted: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/07/06/change-of-position-work-tricks-for-jets-goalie

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Please don't take this personally but a quick "lecture" about online journalism:

It's not cool to copy entire articles on blogs, boards, reddit threads etc. Those people need to make a living. We and you consume their work and are interested about their content. The only way it can be acknowledged or paid is by clicking on a link and give this article a hit by visiting the URL and even better, maybe find another article you might like and give this one another hit. By doing so, you're not only helping the other article but also the one you linked. They can exactly see how many people clicked what article and what their next step was. Those numbers are essential to actually earn money.

Of course you can share an article like that on a board. The author would love you for it. But you might want to copy the headline, first paragraph or most interesting paragraph and put the copied content into a

Mods: feel free to delete this post once it is changed. Sorry I care for it as I'm a young journalist myself.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Mods: feel free to delete this post once it is changed. Sorry I care for it as I'm a young journalist myself.

Not going to delete, it's actually a good reminder of a site rule that some people forget:

7) Copyrighted Material: Generally you can assume that anything you find online is copyrighted. We prefer you post a synopsis in your own words and the link to the article. It's permissible to quote up to 20 lines of text and you must provide commentary. Links posted with no description (or an inaccurate one) may be removed at the moderators' discretion. DO NOT POST ENTIRE ARTICLES. If you have a question about copyrights see Brad Templeton's 10 Big Myths about copyright explained.

@Hellboy: no harm, no foul. Just a good reminder to make sure you only post a synopsis or brief snippet of the article, and then provide a link.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Well, Jamie Phillips had another stellar season in college:

1.97 GAA
0.922 saving %
36 GP
WCHA Outstanding Student Athlete of the Year
WCHA Second All-Star Team

I wonder if he will make the jump to the pros in 2016-17. He just turned 23. I suppose if a career in hockey does not pan out for him, he seems to have the brains to do well in his chosen occupation.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
There's been some rumblings that the Jets have decided to pass on signing Phillips. They hold his rights until August 15th this year. So I guess we'll see.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Well, Jamie Phillips had another stellar season in college:

1.97 GAA
0.922 saving %
36 GP
WCHA Outstanding Student Athlete of the Year
WCHA Second All-Star Team

I wonder if he will make the jump to the pros in 2016-17. He just turned 23. I suppose if a career in hockey does not pan out for him, he seems to have the brains to do well in his chosen occupation.

You use that term very loosely.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Pass for the season, or pass for good?

Well if they don't sign him this season they lose his rights. Rights run until August 15th, 2016.

You use that term very loosely.

For reference sake, his .922 save percentage has him 26th in the NCAA among goalies appearing in 15 or more games. If you expand that to 25 or more games (since most NCAA play around 40 games that would make it just starters) he improves to 24th in the NCAA. Like you say, not exactly "stellar". But not bad either really.

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
from what I understand, Phillips apparently played behind a rather stifling defense that routinely gave up less than 20 shots per game. .922 with that isn't terribly encouraging. I guess with both Helle and Comrie as pros, Chevy can afford to be a little picky.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Numbers are decent enough that we should re-sign him even if he is eventually used as a throw-in in a trade

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Gotta sign him. We have the space for him since Hellebuyck will be up with the big club next season, and him and Comrie could be a very good tandem.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Gotta sign him. We have the space for him since Hellebuyck will be up with the big club next season, and him and Comrie could be a very good tandem.

Word is we'd rather sign a UFA goalie. NCAA and CHL undrafted types.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Well if they don't sign him this season they lose his rights. Rights run until August 15th, 2016.

For reference sake, his .922 save percentage has him 26th in the NCAA among goalies appearing in 15 or more games. If you expand that to 25 or more games (since most NCAA play around 40 games that would make it just starters) he improves to 24th in the NCAA. Like you say, not exactly "stellar". But not bad either really.

Exactly. It's a very good season. Stellar is a massive stretch.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Oh well, I always hoped he would sign for Jets so they had another reason to dump Pavs....

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Disappointing if we don't sign him - maybe he's not the best but he seems decent at least for an AHL backup

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Disappointing if we don't sign him - maybe he's not the best but he seems decent at least for an AHL backup

We only really need 1 more in the system, whether it's Phillips or someone else. If there's better options out there, then go for those other options

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Looks like Nick Ellis, guy Friedman mentioned we are interested in, will be development camp invite for summer. Might be Phillips replacement.

Im assuming Helly won't be there this year? So that would leave Comrie and Ellis as only goalies in camp. Wonder who else they have their eye on?

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Not sure I understand why we would let an asset walk for nothing.

Kasdorf was used in a deal, surely Phillips could be as well.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We only really need 1 more in the system, whether it's Phillips or someone else. If there's better options out there, then go for those other options

I think it is better to have 2 in the A and 1 in the ECHL. A lot of good goalies have put in stretches in the E. Goalies being as hard to predict as they are I like to have more chances. They must have seen something they didn't like in Phillips' game but he has been successful. To me that says he should be worth working on to correct any perceived flaw. It would be different if his NCAA career had been years of .890 sv% but it hasn't.

But they will do what they think is best and we will have to wait and see what happens. Seems strange to me though.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Not sure I understand why we would let an asset walk for nothing.

Kasdorf was used in a deal, surely Phillips could be as well.

I don't think a goalie with his stats would be worth much in a trade. When there are 24 starting goalies in the NCAA that have a better save % for the year (and he's playing behind a stifling defense at that), I think we are better off going the UFA route & no doubt any potential suitors would think likewise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad