Injury Report: Jamie Drysdale, RHD | Feb. 26 INJURY UPDATE: week-to-week per Sportsnet [post #1]...evaluated in two weeks

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Are you a bender?
I play with semi pros and was 2nd in ppg only to someone who won back to back national player of the year awards as a freshman and sophomore back in 2017.

I had 5g 8a through 5 games. He had 6 and 10.

But I did bend my shoulder so bad it tore my rotator cuff, so yes I guess I am a bender.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
It was generally verboten for a player to discuss a teammate's injury and in the recent past injury updates were funneled through a singular channel (coach/management) as to not have contrary analysis. That said Cam York mentioned Drysdale's injury, equating it with escaping the most significant of concerns. If accurate, at least a couple of days out from the initial injury, then that can be opened for interpretation but at least offers a glimmer of light.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I play with semi pros and was 2nd in ppg only to someone who won back to back national player of the year awards as a freshman and sophomore back in 2017.

I had 5g 8a through 5 games. He had 6 and 10.

But I did bend my shoulder so bad it tore my rotator cuff, so yes I guess I am a bender.
What’s your +/-?

Reactions: BernieParent

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'd say so, Bern. He was rushed into the NHL at age 18 (by Bob Murray, so we know his evaluation of Drysdale was always too rosy). And the only coach he has ever played for is Dallas Eakins, one of the worst structural guys in the league, on some dumpster fire Ducks teams. I do actually somewhat trust Tortorella and Shaw to develop him better than that.

Glass half-full, Drysdale clearly has ability -- although it sounds like his draft year offensive profile isn't totally incongruous with his NHL one -- and it's a fine gamble to believe his developmental track can be righted. (Again, I want to acknowledge Super Advisor, Bob Murray, was responsible for what happened on the Ducks.) But the Flyers didn't just pay for a half-full glass. They paid for it filled to the brim, along with buying the glass and the coaster and the stool they're sitting on.

They maxed out with Cutter and Owen. The odds will catch up.

I tore my in rotator cuff in November and didn't need a sling or surgery. I missed 2 months of my hockey season and rehabbed for 6 weeks. That was a first time injury. Drysdale's case is one that includes surgical repair and re-injury, so there is significant baseline instability in the joint and risk of connective tissue (re)injury is relatively high in a contact sport. Just because he's not in a sling doesn't mean he has no connective tissue damage. Sommermann has no clluee

There is 7 weeks left in the season. Recall the I had a relarively minor connective tissue injury in my shoulder and missed 6 weeks. Obviously, things are a little different in sports medicine and sports science at the pro level, but it still serves as a reasonable baseline when juxtaposed to Drysdale's situation. It isn't out of the question that he is shut down for the rest of the year. In fact that is what I'd expect given his age and injury history.

Did you tear your labrum as well? I think that’s what Drysdale had repaired which is what gives a lot of stability and strength. A reinjury there is devastating. I am guessing he avoided that and strained his rotator cuff which just a collection of 4 muscles.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It was generally verboten for a player to discuss a teammate's injury and in the recent past injury updates were funneled through a singular channel (coach/management) as to not have contrary analysis. That said Cam York mentioned Drysdale's injury, equating it with escaping the most significant of concerns. If accurate, at least a couple of days out from the initial injury, then that can be opened for interpretation but at least offers a glimmer of light.
They are best buds so maybe York has a little more leeway to give out good-ish news.

If it was bad news, I'm sure he would have said nothing.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
What they said was "weak, too weak".
Did someone say "two weeks"?

qlKMPV.gif

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
You're not a problem if you quit your job because of the endless bullshit you have dealt with from management are you? Of course not, that's your right. Hell, it should even be encouraged.

Cutter "quit" management. He didn't quit his job. He had every right to do what he did, and I encourage it. f*** the Flyers, they deserve this
Endless bullshit? Because the Flyers wouldn’t gift him a spot? It was what 16 months where he announced to the hockey world he is a selfish, conceited jackass. You’re right he has every right to say I don’t want to sign. But he handled it like a coward.
That would be like me telling my coworker I don’t want to work here anymore and walk out the door letting my coworker to tell the boss I quit. f*** him.
Oh and I know Flyer management has a shit ton of issues their own. To absolve Cutter of this because the Flyers are run by idiots is wrong.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Endless bullshit? Because the Flyers wouldn’t gift him a spot? It was what 16 months where he announced to the hockey world he is a selfish, conceited jackass. You’re right he has every right to say I don’t want to sign. But he handled it like a coward.
That would be like me telling my coworker I don’t want to work here anymore and walk out the door letting my coworker to tell the boss I quit. f*** him.
Oh and I know Flyer management has a shit ton of issues their own. To absolve Cutter of this because the Flyers are run by idiots is wrong.
The Flyers f***ed it up by Flyering and Tortorellaing. They deserve this. I can guarantee Cutter is still a Flyer if this org wasn't up their own ass. It's pretty clear who the real problem is in this situation

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm just glad I don't have to spend the better part of a decade litigating Gauthier's game like we did with Provorov. Weight lifted, mental health win.

The Flyers farting around and Cutter "Clutch Gene" Gauthier coming off as arrogant can both be true. But I'll be honest: I don't think the team did anything that egregious pre-trade, and I'm ignoring my less rosy opinion of the player. My issue is with how they handled the trade and the IBX-sponsored smear campaign afterwards.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I would just like to know what his actual reasons for not signing were. In the statement he put out it was something like multiple reasons over a period of time iirc, but Danny said it was only a couple months after he was drafted that he said he wanted out. So what multiple things happened in that short time?

There was talk of him wanting to sign after his Freshman year, but when he went back, Danny said that was his decision. Now maybe Danny was just covering up his refusal to sign, who knows. There's too much still unknown for me to have much of an opinion one way or another.

Now, I don't buy the keeping it quiet to save his value line. The teams they talked to knew what was up. The public knowing wouldn't matter except that it might look bad on the org, which I find a more likely motivation.

And yea the whole " If you don't want to be here, we don't want you" was nonsense. It smacked of sour grapes, and wasn't very professional.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I just think they were in a sate of upheaval in March, 2023 and miscalculated. I'm sure if Briere could go back in time he would sign Gauthier to his ELC and he'd be in the second year of it now.

Here's Briere saying he hopes Gauthier can be an NHL center in June, 2023. This was after he told the Flyers he would never play for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: VladDrag

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I would just like to know what his actual reasons for not signing were. In the statement he put out it was something like multiple reasons over a period of time iirc, but Danny said it was only a couple months after he was drafted that he said he wanted out. So what multiple things happened in that short time?

There was talk of him wanting to sign after his Freshman year, but when he went back, Danny said that was his decision. Now maybe Danny was just covering up his refusal to sign, who knows. There's too much still unknown for me to have much of an opinion one way or another.

Now, I don't buy the keeping it quiet to save his value line. The teams they talked to knew what was up. The public knowing wouldn't matter except that it might look bad on the org, which I find a more likely motivation.

And yea the whole " If you don't want to be here, we don't want you" was nonsense. It smacked of sour grapes, and wasn't very professional.

While I'm sure it was several things, the only public explanation floated that sounds plausible is Gauthier was offended that the Flyers suggested he would need to earn his spot and might need to go to the AHL at age 19. Certainly, not burning an ELC year last spring is also plausible.

Why would you play games with a player you (not me) think is integral to your franchise? Why would a 19 year old take umbrage at the hockey culture cliched idea of earning a spot? Believing all parties involved suck, not to mention thinking Gauthier was overrated, has helped me immensely.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
While I'm sure it was several things, the only public explanation floated that sounds plausible is Gauthier was offended that the Flyers suggested he would need to earn his spot and might need to go to the AHL at age 19. Certainly, not burning an ELC year last spring is also plausible.

Why would you play games with a player you (not me) think is integral to your franchise? Why would a 19 year old take umbrage at the hockey culture cliched idea of earning a spot? Believing all parties involved suck, not to mention thinking Gauthier was overrated, has helped me immensely.

Yea I forgot about the roster spot stuff. Honestly as annoying as the "Earn it" line is, and I think they take it to ridiculous extremes, I don't have a problem with the org telling a prospect they're not guaranteed a spot. And if you're clutch gene guy, why should you care? You know you're going to get that spot with all your clutchness. Would seem pretty insecure if that made him that upset. Maybe he thought he would get jerked around, and we've certainly seen that before. I do wonder how this plays with the timeline Danny put out. Was he asking for a guarantee right after being drafted? Water under the bridge at this point. Now its just hope Drysdale can recover and get caught up physically and also developmentally. Him being fully healthy from here on out still doesn't change the missed time.

Reactions: Magua

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I just think they were in a sate of upheaval in March, 2023 and miscalculated. I'm sure if Briere could go back in time he would sign Gauthier to his ELC and he'd be in the second year of it now.

Here's Briere saying he hopes Gauthier can be an NHL center in June, 2023. This was after he told the Flyers he would never play for them.

From top six guy to deep sixed...

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Drysdale had a public appearance / autograph signing today. He was not in a sling of any type. Appeared to have full use of his left arm/shoulder.

I’d take that as a good sign.

Probably just a regular old dislocated shoulder.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Drysdale had a public appearance / autograph signing today. He was not in a sling of any type. Appeared to have full use of his left arm/shoulder.

I’d take that as a good sign.

Probably just a regular old dislocated shoulder.
This is all lies. I haven't seen a single picture with Drysdale showing that he even has a left arm. I was reliably informed his arm did infact come completely off during contact.

• Haha
Reactions: BernieParent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad