Jamie Benn Wins 2014-2015 Art Ross Trophy

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Agreed. And the last part I hope was clear from me. He has an place in hockey history now. But I can´t really think off an Art Ross since the expansion that had an as weak Art Ross race as this one. But at the top of ones head one can forget. So that I have to think about.

A "weak" race?! :biglaugh:

Wait, hold on, give me a second.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You do realize that this year's race for the Art Ross was the equivalent of a photo finish, right? A race so close they'd have to use video replay if was cars instead of hockey players.

Jamie Benn managed to win the race, with 9 seconds left in the season. He won by one point, after being down by one point.

Had Tavares won by 30 points, then yeah, not much of a race. But calling a one-point, last-gasp effort a "weak" race? That's just....wow. I think you need to watch races more often. You're clearly misinterpreting them.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Congrats Benn, always liked him as a player and wished he would become a Hab one day. Now with an Art Ross trophy my already very low odds of this happening become even worst.

ace4

Mar 11, 2014
Congrats Benn, always liked him as a player and wished he would become a Hab one day. Now with an Art Ross trophy my already very low odds of this happening become even worst.

There's already hope among Canucks fans that he makes his way to Vancouver as a free agent since he grew up in Victoria.

Pohlow

Mar 26, 2012
Frisco, Tx

You do realize that this year's race for the Art Ross was the equivalent of a photo finish, right? A race so close they'd have to use video replay if was cars instead of hockey players.

Jamie Benn managed to win the race, with 9 seconds left in the season. He won by one point, after being down by one point.

Had Tavares won by 30 points, then yeah, not much of a race. But calling a one-point, last-gasp effort a "weak" race? That's just....wow. I think you need to watch races more often. You're clearly misinterpreting them.

Nah man, it was a weaker race because this is the season that everyone decided not to try as hard. You see, powerplay chances were down, therefore the season will go down as a weak one, because the higher point getters couldnt pad their stats on the powerplay.

lmfao I can't finish it, anyone saying this is a weak season or a weak win is just speaking crazy. This season's race was close and down to the end, I agree with you best race in a while, and will go down in the history books.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
It was an awesome race! Other than Crosby not showing up for the finish. JT and Benn swapped for the lead like 3 or 4 times in the final night!

beltjones

Dec 4, 2014
www.breakthecipher.com
It was just revealed that Benn requires hip surgery this offseason. This was first mentioned offhand as a chronic thing a couple months into the season in a press conference by Ruff, so he's been playing through it for a fair amount of the season. I wonder how many points he would have put up if he actually was 100%.

It's a chronic injury that has probably caused him pain for years. Look up FAI. This is the condition Benn, Hemsky, Nichushkin, and Klingberg share.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
It was a great race. Definitely. I would much rather we have this every season instead of one or two guys netting 100+ points.

But I think most people here calling this weak are saying that there was not big gaudy numbers.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö

Nah man, it was a weaker race because this is the season that everyone decided not to try as hard. You see, powerplay chances were down, therefore the season will go down as a weak one, because the higher point getters couldnt pad their stats on the powerplay.

lmfao I can't finish it, anyone saying this is a weak season or a weak win is just speaking crazy. This season's race was close and down to the end, I agree with you best race in a while, and will go down in the history books.

If Bolt wins the 100 meters in over 10 seconds, but it´s a photo finish - it´s still a weak race. It´s a great race when everyone is up to their potential. You are confusing great=exciting. Because it was exciting, and I loved it. As I said “As an hockeyfan I love it when the almost last shot of the season seals the deal†And it´s always nice to see an underdog finish first. But it is an weak Art Ross race. Then finish was great from a dramatic kind of sense – but the race ain´t just the finish, it´s the whole course.
Most off the "usual suspects" to be in competition for top 15, 10, 5 and even the top spot this year was either having a down year by their standards (Stamkos/Crosby/Getzlaf/Kessel/Giroux…) or was injuried (Seguin/Kane/Malkin/Datsyuk/Crosby/…), two of them while one of the more likely candidat for the scoring race. And a whole team out of the playoffs playing the last 3 games for getting there captain the Art Ross. Resulting in 10 points in 3 games, when he had 17 in 17 before that, is gonna be questioned. Not by me, as I said – I think it´s great to give the fanbase something to be excited about the last 3 games when you are really playing meaningless games. But when discussing this trophy 10 years from now when someone else is a surprise winner of the Art Ross it´s going to be brought up. As said. In the end he won it. His name is on the trophy. And that´s it. But Benn ain´t going to the HHOF for this. Seasonwise for example his teammate Seguin had a more impressive year when everything is put into perspective.

The place it will have in the history books is that it could be argued the weakest Art Ross since the trophy started. Up there with St.Louis first (and in my mind, Iginlas…).
If you want to get of the smileys and the lmfao you could instead argue what Art Rosses since the millennium that you think are weaker for starters. As I can´t see a real argument for any off Gretzkys/Lemieuxs/Jagrs to be weaker. And that takes out the whole 80´s and 90´s. Then we can see if I agree with you.

Again. Exciting does not equal great. And it´s not black and white.

It was a great race. Definitely. I would much rather we have this every season instead of one or two guys netting 100+ points.

But I think most people here calling this weak are saying that there was not big gaudy numbers.

This is close to my point. But, as said above, it´s not just because of the big numbers was not there. About 10 of the top 15 “suspects†had subpar years for different reasons. It´s just like when some are trying to argue last years Art Ross was “the greatest since Gretzky†because of the % Crosby was ahead second place. It was a really great year by Crosby, but put in to perspective and context it ain´t a “all time greatâ€, but “one of the greatest since the lockoutâ€. And that´s not bad. Just like that Benn winning the Art Ross never can be considered a bad thing and something he has to have an excuse for. I think it´s even great he went out and said he was going for it. That made it all the more exciting.

And I to would rather have low scoring and a close finish. And a surprise winner for that. It´s great for the fans when the games and trophies are close. Even if marketing sure would want that Crosbys has a big year next year.
This is also the first year in maybe 10 years I actually think about watching the Award Show instead of reading about it the day after. The only big trophy that is garanted is really the Vezina. Hart, Lindsay, Norris, Calder, Selke are all up for grabs by so many in a way that is not the norm.

Pohlow

Mar 26, 2012
Frisco, Tx
If Bolt wins the 100 meters in over 10 seconds, but it´s a photo finish - it´s still a weak race.

If, at the time of the race, a 10 second 100 meter is the best in the world, then it is not a weak race.

Benn went up against the best players in the world trying their best. Crosby had the influence of potentially not making the playoffs. You really thought that with that added that he just decided to not play his best? Hockey players give their all every night, and Benn came out on top. That's not weak.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
No one's comparing this year's Art Ross finish to any of the seasons put up by Lemieux, or Jagr, or even Crosby.

Can't find one person who's made that claim. It was a down year for scoring, absolutely.

But your insistence that this race was somehow weaker, or somehow sub-par, just doesn't jive. Will scoring go up next year? Probably. We may even see the return of a 100-point season. But no one did it this year. Is that Jamie's fault? Hell no. He made the most of his opportunity and won the award for the league's leading scorer, in a way that may not have ever been done before.

That's pretty freakin' awesome, if you ask me.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
If, at the time of the race, a 10 second 100 meter is the best in the world, then it is not a weak race.

Benn went up against the best players in the world trying their best. Crosby had the influence of potentially not making the playoffs. You really thought that with that added that he just decided to not play his best? Hockey players give their all every night, and Benn came out on top. That's not weak.

Sure it is a weak race, if done today. Bolt made a comeback in the 200 m just 2 days ago clocking in at 20,20. Even he himself said that was a weak race. He still won and it was 3 seconds shy of the best time of the year and 4th best of 2015... But 1.03 seconds worse than his own world record. And considered weak by just about everyone. Himself included in interviews.

And playing to win and playing to get points ain´t close to the same thing. Crosby played his best, but he wasn´t playing for the sole reason to win the Art Ross. That is gonna leave you of the scoreboard in some situations. Tavares probably more had his mind on the Art Ross. I would think the only thing on Crosbys mind was to win the game, as it could be win or pick up the golf bag.
There´s for starters no chance in h*ll Dallas goes for that 4-1 goal with 10-30 seconds left in a 3-1 game in that way if not out to only get a point for there captain. You would kill seconds and bury it in the corner. There´s quite the difference of being up 2 goals when the playoffs are on the line or your team captain can win an "upset" Art Ross.
This three games it worked for Dallas, but having that game plan for the whole season ain´t gonna work. And hockey players don´t "give it all" every night. That´s a dream. You really think the Dallas team would have approached this game the same if not Benn had the chance of winning the Art Ross? There toughts would have been on the summer and next season. Many would thinking about not getting hurt, as they are up for new contracts. The last 5 games the competive level of the leauge is very different for many reasons.

It could be just semantics. You and I may not have the same tought of what "weak" means to us. That may be it. For me it means that Benns perfomances this season, even if the top point getter, probably wouldn´t have fetched him any Art Ross outside maybe St. Louis first and Iginlas since the Art Ross was invented.
But as said. In the end he did it. But just as Bolts run two days ago won´t be remebered as one of his greats, even if he won - Benns win won´t be remembered as one of the great Art Rosses.

No one's comparing this year's Art Ross finish to any of the seasons put up by Lemieux, or Jagr, or even Crosby.

Can't find one person who's made that claim. It was a down year for scoring, absolutely.

But your insistence that this race was somehow weaker, or somehow sub-par, just doesn't jive. Will scoring go up next year? Probably. We may even see the return of a 100-point season. But no one did it this year. Is that Jamie's fault? Hell no. He made the most of his opportunity and won the award for the league's leading scorer, in a way that may not have ever been done before.

That's pretty freakin' awesome, if you ask me.

I have in every post said that I don´t think Benn or Dallas made anything wrong or that it was Jamies fault. I said I think it was great done by him. But this is for many different reasons still a very weak year. In my eyes it´s more impressive by Benn that he the last two seasons are the second best point getter (even if I haven´t looked that up my self, but read it in this thread... so I can´t back that up right now.). That shows something.
And scoring ain´t down in the leauge this season compared to the last three seasons, so that ain´t to blame. Even PP-goals stayed about the same, even if PP-oppurtunities were down. The top stars just didn´t perfom as one expected. Injuries or sup-bar play.
Benn took advantage of that the players in the tier above him had down years or where injuried. Kudos. Still the maybe weakest Art Ross out there. If you want to argue, bring me a case for a Art Ross that should be ranked lower. And it ain´t just about how many points. Some of Jagrs could be argued as impressive as some of Lemieuxs/Gretzkys (not there best...), even if only 2/3 of the points.

This ain´t Steven Bradbury Olympics kind of level, as Benn is truly world elite. But it´s still coincidence based. And in the end that´s what team sports is about. Taking advantage of someone elses mistake or weakness. Grabbing the oppurtunity. But heck - if everyone was healthy this season he wouldn´t even be the no.1 scorer on his team. That doesn´t take anything away from him. But that he scored 10 points in his last 3 games when his team was elminated doesn´t make his season jump up to a top 5 or even top 10 season in the leauge this year. Ovechkin, Tavares, Price, Karlsson, Weber, Crosby and others still had a better year when all things are considered. Even if some of them disappointed. As said, this is a good example of why trophy-counting should be taken with a grain of salt.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Jamie Benn said in his exit interview "I personally don't like individual awards."

Yet here were are... :laugh: Hockey is a team effort and in the last game, the team fed Jamie the puck to make Dallas Stars and league history.

He'll be back in the scoring race again next year and probably the year after, and people will probably continue to express "Omg Benn is not a sexy name to win the Art Ross!!"

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
One of if not the most exciting scoring finish I have ever seen. I would rather have this spread out scoring, where 3rd liners can get near 40 points, to a league where 2 guys are close to 110 points

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It's considered a weak race, because in all honesty, the Art Ross really shouldn't even be handed out unless a player scores 100+ points.

:P

That said, i don't think the Rocket Richard should be given to anyone unless they score 50 goals.

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
One thing is for sure. If crosby is healthy he is a guaranteed top 3 scorer. Verb like that for the last 9 years

Why you have to pimp Crosby in every thread possible? Are you really that insecure about players status in the eyes of other fans that you have to go around threads preaching the message of lord and savior Crosby?

Find another tune already.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Jamie Benn said in his exit interview "I personally don't like individual awards."

Yet here were are... :laugh: Hockey is a team effort and in the last game, the team fed Jamie the puck to make Dallas Stars and league history

Benn can´t seem to make up his mind then.

Benn said he hasn’t really felt the push to win the scoring title until recent games.
"But I’m going to go out there and try to win it, Benn said."

That´s from the Dallas Morning News before the last game.

And wasn´t the quote: “One of the goals I set was that I wanted to make the playoffs every year I was captain, so this is a really disappointing time,” Benn said Tuesday. “I just don’t see any individual awards as being that important.” That´s quite the difference from your version. And supports what I said about especially Crosbys and also Tavares focus was in there last games.

So again: the last 3 games, after his team was eliminated, he scored 10 points. The 17 games before that when his team was in competition he scored 17 points. He won it. Fair and square. Nothing in the rules says you can´t try to get your captain the Art Ross. But it´s coincendence based. If, for starters, Dallas really is competing for a playoff birth with 3 games left they will approach those games completley different and there is really no probability he collects all those points.
He won the Art Ross. Kudos. And a great way to get the fans excited for the last game and give the team a feeling of accomplishment in the end of an dissapoiting season. But again: Those 3 games and those 10 extra points don´t put his season on the level of the seasons Tavares, Ovechkin, Weber, Karlsson, Crosby, Price and others had. Context is always needed. But congrats on having his name on the Art Ross. Great work by him.

Last edited:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Benn can´t seem to make up his mind then.

Benn said he hasn’t really felt the push to win the scoring title until recent games.
"But I’m going to go out there and try to win it, Benn said."

That´s from the Dallas Morning News before the last game.

And wasn´t the quote: “One of the goals I set was that I wanted to make the playoffs every year I was captain, so this is a really disappointing time,†Benn said Tuesday. “I just don’t see any individual awards as being that important.†That´s quite the difference from your version. And supports what I said about especially Crosbys and also Tavares focus was in there last games.

So again: the last 3 games, after his team was eliminated, he scored 10 points. The 17 games before that when his team was in competition he scored 17 points. He won it. Fair and square. Nothing in the rules says you can´t try to get your captain the Art Ross. But it´s coincendence based. If, for starters, Dallas really is competing for a playoff birth with 3 games left they will approach those games completley different and there is really no probability he collects all those points.
He won the Art Ross. Kudos. And a great way to get the fans excited for the last game and give the team a feeling of accomplishment in the end of an dissapoiting season. But again: Those 3 games and those 10 extra points don´t put his season on the level of the seasons Tavares, Ovechkin, Weber, Karlsson, Crosby, Price and others had. Context is always needed. But congrats on having his name on the Art Ross. Great work by him.

My version is from the exit interview video on the Dallas Stars' website. Go out there and find it. I'm sure his emotions have certainly changed after winning the Art Ross and the reality of now playoffs has set in.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
Last season 2nd best scorer, Getzlaf, finished with 87pts, other than Crosby running away with Art Ross and scoring 104pts this year's race is pretty much the same as last year's, actually last season there was no race, it was just one player winning it long before the season was over

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Jamie Benn won the Art Ross

[put excuses for why other players didnt score more points than Benn here]

He did it in the same obstruction that [Superstar X] played in, but it's a reason why [Superstar X] had low points.

He did it when his team was out of the playoff race and had nothing to play for. [Superstar X] was in the playoff race, thus is excused for scoring less even if his team struggled/didn't struggle... because remember we are in the obstruction era.

He did it with hip issues that nagged him for the whole season, yet for some reason we didn't hear about it. Sometimes when [Superstar X] isn't producing, there becomes speculation that [Superstar X] is injured, which becomes a valid reason for why his scoring is down. Jamie Benn's scoring isn't affected by injuries.

:laugh: HFBoards.

Jamie Benn didn't lead the league in scoring at all between games 1 through 81 (the first player in NHL history)... and then seized the trophy with a little help from his friends.

Don't worry though, he isn't a sexy name and is the worst Art Ross winner of all time.

Moops

Jan 22, 2015

The poster you responded to obviously meant weak in terms of quality, not in terms of excitement.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
The poster you responded to obviously meant weak in terms of quality, not in terms of excitement.

What else do you guys want, Gretzky and Lemieux from the 80s to be scientifically recreated to be in the scoring race? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad