Jamie Benn Wins 2014-2015 Art Ross Trophy

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Didn't realize there was such a hate on for Benn. He's got a hot head but he's the best LW in the game, well deserved.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
Benn is a star player, but there's no way he's a top five forward in the NHL. Who out of Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Stamkos or Tavares would you remove out of the top five to make room for Benn?

Malkin for me. Misses at least 10 games due to injury every season. Malkin is more talented offensively, but Benn plays a more complete game. I'd venture to say that he is more valuable to his team than Ovechkin is as well.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

This fact really amplifies his accomplishment this year.

Other teams' fans don't know that we've been aware of this for the entire season too. We had a number of debates on the Stars forum about Benn being injured starting back in around November. In January it was announced that he had a long term issue that he'd been playing through. But Benn puts the team above himself and kept playing until the end. If the Stars were further out of the playoff race he'd have had this surgery months ago. People say that Benn's points don't count as much because he wasn't playing for anything. He spent the past 4 months attempting to singlehandedly carry his team to the playoffs while most of the team(including Seguin) struggled. It's silly to read the posts in here about him not being a real leader or deserving the trophy that he fought for. And he's said several times that the Art Ross would be/is nice but it's not the trophy he wanted this season.

Last September both Tavares and Crosby listed Benn as a player they'd like to start a franchise with. It seems fitting to me that he ended up winning it over them although all 3 would have deserved it. There's just so much ******** on here when it comes to Benn.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
It wasn't just done after elimination. He had something like 15 points in his final 5 games and 19 in his final 7. I believe he was the top scorer after the All-Star break. He was just hot for a long time. As a team they finished with four straight wins yes, but they were something like 15-5 in the last quarter of the season as well. That was with bad goaltending numbers.

He had 13 in his last 5 games. 16 in his last in his last 7 games. 10 of those points where in 3 games after they were out of the playoff race. Before that 3 last games he had 6 points in 5 games. In the 17 games before the last 3 he had 17 points.
And during the last 20 games the Stars went 14-6 (since the beginning of march). With 2 OT and 2 SO wins. And during that streak when they where in competition for a playoff spot Benn had, as said, 17 points in 17 games.
So it´s quite obivous what the game plan was the last games and "where and why" he won the Art Ross. And it´s nothing wrong in giving the fans something to cheer for. Quite the opposite. And as said, in the end he won it. Kudos. No one can take that away from him. But I don´t believe he would have if the Stars where competing for a playoff spot. It payed off this 3 games to set up Benn for points, but it doesn´t in the long run.

So yes. Having 17 points in 17 games. Then 10 in 3 after they are out off the playoffs. It was all about done after elimination. Continuing the pace he had when his team was playing for a playoff pace would have left him at 80 points and 5th place. He even said himself before the last game he was going for it. And nothing wrong in it. End on a positive note. The fans where excited. And look at the smiles on the ice and the almost pile up after Cody Eakins goal. That was almost celebrating like a OT goal in the playoffs. Great way to get a positive ending and getting the team together. But theres really no probability he would have won it if the Stars where in competition. So his Art Ross threw history will be put into perspective. Still an Art Ross. Still an heck off achievement. And as an hockeyfan I love it when the almost last shot of the season seals the deal. But it will be ranked amongst "the worst" of Art Rosses threw history. And not because Benn won it, because he is one of the best forwards in the leauge. But mostly because of despite scoring didn´t go down the superstars didn´t deliever or where injuried. And how Benn won it will be part of it. But a small part.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet and I'm not going to read a 34 page thread but how many other times has the Art Ross winner not been voted to the All Star game?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
But it will be ranked amongst "the worst" of Art Rosses threw history.

Regardless of who won it, it was going to be ranked among the worst ever given that it's been 60 years since anyone won the trophy with a lower PPG and is the lowest non-lockout point total posted after the original 6 era.

That doesn't take anything away from Benn winning it though.

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
Yeah, I don't get the people poo-pooing Benn's win. He won a "weak" Art Ross? And? It's still the freaking Art Ross. A tremendous accomplishment. It's like trying to downplay a guy's girlfriend as "only" being Alessandra Ambrosio and not Rosie Huntington-Whitely.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
if you take away Crosby's 104pts then last season's art ross race looks very similar to this year's, art ross winner finishing up with 90pts or less could be a new norm not exception

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
One small little problem with this assumption.

SH TOI in final 3 games
Tavares- 0:00
Crosby- 0:15
Benn- 4:12

There´s no assumption to be made. He said he was going for the one trophy that was left to go for. And Ruff supported it as well, saying how important it was to his teammates. And that´s before the last game.

And considering 2.51 out of those SH minutes came in the games against the Sharks it more than anything support my point, even if we didn´t have the quotes from both Benn and his coach that already has my point proven.
I will not watch the game, but I would guess most off that playing time was in the dying minutes when Benn just had scored a goal with less than 4 minutes left and and when Dallas took two late penalties. They where clearly double shifting Benn hoping for a stray SH chance or an EN. In the other two games he played 37 and 44 seconds. And in those games there were no late penalties.
I can guarantee he would have been on the ice over a minute even if it was a 3 v.s. 5 the last two minutes in the last game.
No shame in that. Get your captain the Art Ross and your fans something to cheer for in an otherwise meaningless game.

Regardless of who won it, it was going to be ranked among the worst ever given that it's been 60 years since anyone won the trophy with a lower PPG and is the lowest non-lockout point total posted after the original 6 era.

That doesn't take anything away from Benn winning it though.

Agreed. And the last part I hope was clear from me. He has an place in hockey history now. But I can´t really think off an Art Ross since the expansion that had an as weak Art Ross race as this one. But at the top of ones head one can forget. So that I have to think about.

Yeah, I don't get the people poo-pooing Benn's win. He won a "weak" Art Ross? And? It's still the freaking Art Ross. A tremendous accomplishment. It's like trying to downplay a guy's girlfriend as "only" being Alessandra Ambrosio and not Rosie Huntington-Whitely.

Most aren´t "poo-pooing Benn´s win", even if some probably are. If one likes the history of the sport, one often likes to weight accomplishness against each other. This is already seen as one of the weakest Art Rosses ever for a few reasons. That it was Benn winning ain´t the reason. Not every trophy win weights the same.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
Assists:
13-14
Benn - 45
Ovechkin - 28

14-15
Benn - 52
Ovechkin - 28

What's your point? Benn puts up more goals than Ovi does assists

And it`s harder to get assists than score goals?

E. and before you say that "why doesn`t ovie then get more assists if it`s so easy", because his job is to score goals, that`s how you win the games. He`s the best goal scorer on his team let alone in the NHL so it`s best to his team that he takes every chance to score.

Last edited:

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Assists:
13-14
Benn - 45
Ovechkin - 28

14-15
Benn - 52
Ovechkin - 28

What's your point? Benn puts up more goals than Ovi does assists
Amount of player-seasons with 45 assists between 2013-2014\2014-2015: 34 by 26 players
Amount of player-seasons with 50 goals between 2013-2014\2014-2015: 2 by 1 player

I think that's his point.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Benn has had a phenomenal year and I don't see any reason to hate not the guy at all. I'm shocked he won the scoring title and am sure the majority of the NHL would be clamouring over themselves to sign him to build a team around if they could only pick one.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
And it`s harder to get assists than score goals?

E. and before you say that "why doesn`t ovie then get more assists if it`s so easy", because his job is to score goals, that`s how you win the games. He`s the best goal scorer on his team let alone in the NHL so it`s best to his team that he takes every chance to score.

Allen Iverson had the same mantra and guess where it lead him?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Amount of player-seasons with 45 assists between 2013-2014\2014-2015: 34 by 26 players
Amount of player-seasons with 50 goals between 2013-2014\2014-2015: 2 by 1 player

I think that's his point.

Not the best point unless you plan to ignore the rest of his game, which seems silly given his contention is that goal scoring wins games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad