News Article: Jamie Baker (TV) and Bret Hedican (radio)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Brown has a lighter on screen presence than Hedican and will grow into the role. Bakes and Hedican are right where they need to be.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
I have not listened to Baker on the radio, but he's come across as kind of a dim bulb in past TV appearances.

Requin

Lurkedylurk
Jan 10, 2007
San Luis Obispo
This is the best case scenario. Apart from, you know, not ****ing firing Drew. But I'm excited for Bakes! :handclap:

For the first time in my life I have cable TV, and I found a way to get CSN-CA as a channel all the way over here in NC. Dat home broadcast. :thumbu:

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Not bad. I also like Cubro getting more air time. Love that beardless Tommy Chong.

me too. He's actually pretty funny and can deadpan pretty well. Hedican would sometimes come across like he was lecturing the audience on hockey :laugh: he's better suited for calling the games opposed to studio work.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I figured Bakes was next in line. I'll miss Drew but I'm fine with this, Baker deserves it.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Hedican was way more robotic.

Yeah but Curtis gave me this feeling.

tumblr_m6457p3nd01rwcc6bo1_400.gif

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Well at least no one can pretend this wasn't just about getting rid of Drew. I don't hate the replacements, but this "new direction" **** is just that, ****. This was an unnecessary move that lowers the quality of the product, for management's own ends.

It's not high praise for a move that it's not hated.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Well at least no one can pretend this wasn't just about getting rid of Drew. I don't hate the replacements, but this "new direction" **** is just that, ****. This was an unnecessary move that lowers the quality of the product, for management's own ends.

Maybe if you keep complaining the org will so exactly what you want

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I think bakes is more "nhl ready" and Hedi has the higher ceiling. Great insights from Bret, but feel like his phrasing is a little awkwArd at times- I do think his ability to explain the game and the way players think is top notch. Look forwRd to both of them growing.

The fact the sharks didn't thank Drew in the official announcement pisses me off

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Funny didn't know DW had anything to do with the broadcast of Sharks games...oh yeah he doesn't! Direct your anger towards Plattner and the CEO and Comcast if you're so angry. I'm sure they'll respond.

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Brown can do better at making a "personable" on-air connection with the viewers, but all that takes is a little media training. It will all work out fine for the broadcast teams.

The on-ice product, however...

Brown's about as personable and likable as that dead caterpillar on his face. He's actually the reason I watched fewer and fewer pre-game shows as this last season went on. He actually manages to bring less energy to the telecast than Ratto. And I can't stand Ratto.

Basically, if he's going to man the pre and post-game shows consistently, I'll probably stop watching both entirely.

Hedi's kind of OK, but honestly not that interesting to me. Bakes is bit more interesting. But whenever they have had him sub for Drew in the past, the difference has been huge (on the bad side for Bakes). Letting Drew go was idiotic IMO and I suspect the telecast is going to suffer considerably.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Looks like mixed opinions as usual.
Personally, I think Baker's great and preferred when he did broadcasts instead of Drew last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad