Player Discussion James van Riemsdyk

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Just look at the pace of the game now and also factoring the young speedier teams like the Devils, Wings, Habs, Sabres and all I see the B's do is get slower with this move.

This likely takes a roster spot away from a younger prospect and they need to badly starting integrating some youth and zip into this lineup. Not a fan even at $1M.

A 1 year 1m contract isn't going to block anyone. The Bs could easily move him or waive him if it doesn't work out. And it's not like we have a a ton of young players knocking on the door being blocked by veterans.

FinnBear

Feb 21, 2016
Can't really hate or overthink it at that price. Seasoned vet who can eat a few minutes. Good competition for the prospects. Roster spots should not be given away. Worst case scenario JVR just got free Bruins season tickets to watch them from box seats.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
Speed and violence. Direction. JVR is absolutely none of it. He's roster spackle. He's Simon Gagne.

I thought there was a lane open. I no longer believe it.
Old and cheap to plug into the top 6. Exactly what i said they would do yesterday. Only they are doing it in the worst way possible. Seriously, JVR is probably the last guy i could ever imagine in a bruins uniform. “Hey gang who’s the softest, tallest, slower player we can sign??”

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Agree. Would have given that roster spot to some prospect.
I'd rather give it to any of the bevy of younger players available who at least fast, aggressive or who possess some kind of small upside to their careers.

Hell, I even agree with you. I'd rather see Lauko.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
the last 3 seasons the guy is .55 ppg, and he's a year younger than Marchand. And we're complaining about 1/1 :laugh:

Never change guys! Never change. 6'3 210, but I guess the wrong kind of big :laugh:

How about the more relevant last two seasons? Never remotely comparable to Marchand's peak as well. Sweeney has some brainwashed it seems.

Curious to realize the plan over the coming days.

Reactions: Gordoff

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I'd rather give it to any of the bevy of younger players available who at least fast, aggressive or who possess some kind of small upside to their careers.

Before signing JVR we had what, 8 NHL caliber forwards? We gotta get to 12+1+ some kids who could actually make the jump when injuries happen.

I think we're ok here boss....

Helsinki city boy

Jun 2, 2019
Helsinki

Yeah, i bet theres bunch of young players who can score same amount of goals than JVR and have some development instead of declining. Sweeney needed to have his trademark sigining and get poor player. Positive side is that he didnt give 3musd.

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
Not a fan of this style of play, but definitely low risk higher reward type of deal, for this cap strapped team.

Ideally want him on the 3rd line, bump up to top 6 with an injury.

Hope he turns back the clock a little bit and surprises, showing he's still got the ability to produce.

Reactions: Gordoff

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The Bruins don’t have enough young forwards to not pick up a couple vets. And competition is good. $1 million can just be waived at no cap cost if a kid beats him out. Ideally he sees limited minutes in the third line and a lot of minutes in PP1… but he also offers some insurance if Merkulov or Lysell can’t cut it in the top 6.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
A warm body dust bin pro to fill out the roster and delay the development of a promising rookie.

Which one? Even with Lucic, JVR and Geekie in the fold the Bruins would be playing 3 or 4 rookies in the lineup every night. I’m not so sure blocking the development of the 4th or 5th best forward in Providence is something to get excited about. But, maybe the Bruins have way more prospects than I am aware of.

skullguise

Nov 13, 2007
North Andover, MA
I remember when we faced Philly in the playoffs all those years ago, the announcers were ball-washing him big time, earning him the "Jesus Van Riemsdyk" title. I'm overall kind of meh on this, with a wait and see attitude. Maybe he'll "resurrect" his play this year....?

Reactions: TCB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad