James Neal will score 50+ goals this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Hall scored 65 on an absolute garbage team....... he had scored 80 2 years before that and clearly had potential.

Devils didn't make the trade thinking they were getting a 60 point winger.
he averaged 62 points per 82 games his two previous seasons before getting traded to NJ then had a 53 point season his 1st year in NJ...what did they think they were getting then?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
even if Neal scores 25, the Flames still lose that trade cause they still have a 5.25 million dollar 4th liner with a NMC and a buyout-proof contract

Except the Flames organization doesn't buy out large contracts like Neal's. If Lucic contributes more than Neal, which he is already doing, then it's a win.

Lucic has been a very strong contributor in 3 games so far. In last night's game, the Flames were up by one goal, but Detroit was pushing hard. Lucic shut them down by stripping the Detroit player of the puck behind the net and then feeding Bennett an easy goal. It totally turned the tide of that game.

That kind of contribution, even it only comes every 3-4 games, is easily worth 2.5 million. So in effect, Calgary is now only losing about 2.75 million/year. It was never a matter of having 5.25 or nothing. Neal was already on the books.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Truth of the matter is that Calgary has no player that is even close to Drai let alone McDavid, so ofc Neal a sniper would struggle there.

Neal plays on the top PP here but 2nd line Es with RNH

So what you're saying is that Neal needs to get prime minutes with the best player in the world to be successful, and he wouldn't have been successful in Calgary.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Even after his hot start and gaining his confidence, I still wouldn't be surprised if he had streaks of 15-20 games without scoring. He played at the level of an AHL call up who should be sent back down for the entirety of last season. I still think the flames have up too early on Neal, but if he gets a little snakebite and moved away from Drai and McD, things could bleak for him real fast.
He's not playing with McDavid and Draisaitl at ES. Please try and keep up.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Except the Flames organization doesn't buy out large contracts like Neal's. If Lucic contributes more than Neal, which he is already doing, then it's a win.
lol...Neal has 9 points in 7 games and even
Milan Lucic has 1 assist and is a -1
where exactly is Lucic contributing more than Neal?

Lucic has been a very strong contributor in 3 games so far. In last night's game, the Flames were up by one goal, but Detroit was pushing hard. Lucic shut them down by stripping the Detroit player of the puck behind the net and then feeding Bennett an easy goal. It totally turned the tide of that game.
so what..James Neal set-up Ethan Bear for hist first of the season against Philly

That kind of contribution, even it only comes every 3-4 games, is easily worth 2.5 million. So in effect, Calgary is now only losing about 2.75 million/year. It was never a matter of having 5.25 or nothing. Neal was already on the books.
wow, quite the pretzel twist to try and twist this into a win
Eric Francis, is that you?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

I was clearly talking about Neal's contributions last year in Calgary. Neal never had games where took over the way Lucic did last night. Obviously Neal is working out great for Edmonton so far.

so what..James Neal set-up Ethan Bear for hist first of the season against Philly

Lol...are you sure as an Oilers fan right now you really want to bring up the small sample size argument?

No...it's a fact. Calgary would have been stuck with Neal, who even as the Oilers fan state, can't produce without PP time with McDavid, which he wasn't getting in Calgary, as he was way down on the depth chart.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
If James Neal scores 30, the Oilers flip him in the off season for cheaper defensive help, they trim the fat of their roster, and probably resign Taylor Hall. There are rumors hes coming back either in a trade or as a free agent in the off season taking a slight pay cut to come back and play with Mcdavid.

Thanks Flames organization for giving the Oilers an easier asset to move compared to Lucic.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

images

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley

You should go into politics.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You should go into politics.

No I feel like I should go into teaching...there's some serious reading comprehension issues going on here. The facts are pretty simple.

Neal was not a strong contributor in Calgary last year. Lucic is playing very well so far, and the Flames organization is happy with what he's shown so far. The Flames have lots of firepower, but need physical play to back up their relatively small and young, yet skilled and fast, forward core.

The Flames organization would not buy out Neal. The choice wasn't between Lucic and nothing. It was Lucic's contract or Neal's.

Neal is having lots of success in Edmonton, but only on the 1st unit PP with McDavid. There was no such opportunity for him in Calgary.

Reactions: tmurfin

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I was clearly talking about Neal's contributions last year in Calgary. Neal never had games where took over the way Lucic did last night. Obviously Neal is working out great for Edmonton so far.

Took over? Your idea of “taking over” must be a really really really low bar to get over......

Reactions: BKarchitect

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
No I feel like I should go into teaching...there's some serious reading comprehension issues going on here. The facts are pretty simple.

Neal was not a strong contributor in Calgary last year. Lucic is playing very well so far, and the Flames organization is happy with what he's shown so far. The Flames have lots of firepower, but need physical play to back up their relatively small and young, yet skilled and fast, forward core.

The Flames organization would not buy out Neal. The choice wasn't between Lucic and nothing. It was Lucic's contract or Neal's.

Neal is having lots of success in Edmonton, but only on the 1st unit PP with McDavid. There was no such opportunity for him in Calgary.

Teaching is typically based on facts, reason and logic. Nothing that applies to the spin job you are performing in this thread.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Not surprised at all with his success. He never really relied on speed and he's an excellent trigger man for playmakers.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
took over what? he had an assist on the 4-1 goal

Lol...are you sure as an Oilers fan right now you really want to bring up the small sample size argument?

you brought up his lone assist this year for some reason

No...it's a fact. Calgary would have been stuck with Neal, who even as the Oilers fan state, can't produce without PP time with McDavid, which he wasn't getting in Calgary, as he was way down on the depth chart.
so trading for a player like Lucic was the solution? his contract is the worst in the NHL
Treliving clearly sold low on Neal...would have been better to hold onto him

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Took over? Your idea of “taking over” must be a really really really low bar to get over......

Detroit was pushing in a close game and he played a huge role in the next two goals, which totally shut Detroit down.

Here are the highlights:

Rittich is holding the Flames in it through the 2nd, with the one goal lead. Biega then coughs up the puck as he's afraid of a Lucic hit. Lucic makes a nice pass to Bennett in front. On the next goal Lucic makes a nice move and handcuffs Howard with a great shot, which leads to the Detroit player knocking the puck in.

Lucic takes the Flames from leading 2-1 on their heals to leading 4-1 and in control.

Reactions: North Man

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I thought the trade was horrible at the time for Calgary and Neal's re-found scoring touch is adding salt to the wound. Calgary should have gotten a better sweetener than a conditional 3rd from Edmonton to take the clearly inferior player and contract in Lucic.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
So what you're saying is that Neal needs to get prime minutes with the best player in the world to be successful, and he wouldn't have been successful in Calgary.

well considering he only plays the pp with the best player in the world ...

buddy let it go, Neal was good everywhere else, the problem is Calgary not Neal. Your coach used him wrong, plain and simple

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
well considering he only plays the pp with the best player in the world ...

buddy let it go, Neal was good everywhere else, the problem is Calgary not Neal. Your coach used him wrong, plain and simple

Or maybe he was tired. Going to back to back finals and playing 20+ games extra every season took its tool. Even he admitted as much.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The Flames gave the Oilers (their rival) a 2nd liner with a better contract for a 4th liner with a worse contract. I'm sure Lucic is playing well visually but he's still a 4th liner when it boils down to it while the Oilers got a 2nd liner.

You can minimize Neal's success all you want (he has 2 goals and an assist at even strength btw) but he's doing what Lucic couldn't do which is produce with skill.
I'm sure the Flames are happy with all the physicality but when you're giving a scoring forward to your rival and taking on a 4th liner, it's a loss. Calgary is the only place in Neal's entire career where he didn't produce as a top 6 forward. I'm just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad