James Neal will score 50+ goals this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He is not on the top line though

You are wrong just admit it

Technically I said a top line trigger man role. I would consider getting all but 1 of his goals while playing with McDavid to be playing that role, even if he isn't stapled to the top line.

Can we admit the actual facts here. Neal has 7 of 8 goals while playing with McDavid. Please repeat that.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Technically I said a top line trigger man role. I would consider getting all but 1 of his goals while playing with McDavid to be playing that role, even if he isn't stapled to the top line.

But they do not play together hardly at all at even strength that is what you are not getting

Can we admit the actual facts here. Neal has 7 of 8 goals while playing with McDavid. Please repeat that.

Sure if you can admit that he is doing it not on the top line like you falsely claimed but on the power play those are different things

Reactions: Aerchon

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

Lucic couldn't do anything when he was stapled to McDavid multiple times

Neal has 8 goals in 7 games, Lucic has 0 pts in 7 games.

Those are facts. :)

Neal fits in perfectly with the Oilers and he is doing a great job as trigger man, something that Eberle struggled to do

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Both of Neal's goals in his first game were primary assisted by McDavid.
2 more goals were assisted by McDavid in his 4 goal game against the NYI. Another goal McDavid was on the ice for (goal #4).
His goal the next game against the Devils was assisted by McDavid.
His last goal against Chicago came on the PP. McDavid was on the ice, but it was assisted by Draisaitl.

He's had one goal when he wasn't playing with McDavid. I don't care how the Oilers actually shuffle their lines. McDavid is playing up to 26 minutes a night, so he's effectively playing on almost 2 lines. The point is that Neal's success is coming from chemistry with McDavid.

I can see why you think that and the stats back that up but that really isn't the case. Goals sure. PP of course. But chemistry no.

Against Philly. Where McDrai scored a swack they were putrid defensively. The only line really playing well was our second which is Nuge and Neal. And while not scoring at will they have been very good.

Splitting hairs from your perspective I'm sure but if you watched the games you would understand.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
But they do not play together hardly at all at even strength that is what you are not getting

Sure if you can admit that he is doing it not on the top line like you falsely claimed but on the power play those are different things

Interesting...if Neal doesn't play at all even strength with McDavid, then how does Neal have multiple goals at even strength assisted by McDavid....A conspiracy by the NHL to boost McDavid's point totals? They are crediting McDavid with points he's not actually getting? Holy #$!@#$ have you told the press about this?

And Neal getting his goals primarily through 1st PP unit time with McDavid does not strengthen your case. I, and most rational people, would consider 1st line PP time a "1st line role".

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Lucic couldn't do anything when he was stapled to McDavid multiple times

Neal has 8 goals in 7 games, Lucic has 0 pts in 7 games.

Those are facts. :)

Neal fits in perfectly with the Oilers and he is doing a great job as trigger man, something that Eberle struggled to do

No one is disputing that.

What people are disputing is whether Neal would have had the same success in Calgary. As stated, Neal was not beating out any of Monahan, Gaudreau, Lindholm, or Tkachuk for first line or PP time. Neal is only seeing success in Edmonton riding shotgun to McDavid. The only real playmaker in Calgary is Gaudreau. Neal was too far down on the depth chart to get any time with Gaudreau.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Interesting...if Neal doesn't play at all even strength with McDavid, then how does Neal have multiple goals at even strength assisted by McDavid....A conspiracy by the NHL to boost McDavid's point totals? They are crediting McDavid with points he's not actually getting? Holy #$!@#$ have you told the press about this?

And Neal getting his goals primarily through 1st PP unit time with McDavid does not strengthen your case. I, and most rational people, would consider 1st line PP time a "1st line role".

Superstar player makes other players around him better. Breaking news at 11.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019

You are very wrong please stop

Goal 1- PP, McDavid assist
Goal 2- PP, McDavid assist
Goal 3- ES, unassisted
Goal 4- PP, McDavid assist
Goal 5- PP, McDavid assist
Goal 6- ES. Jurco amd Klefbom
Goal 7- PP, McDavid assist
Goal 8- PP, no McDavid assist

Not a single ES goal from Neal assisted by McDavid you are very very wrong

Again stop you we’re caught blatantly lying you are one million percent wrong please stop embarrassing yourself

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
No one is disputing that.

What people are disputing is whether Neal would have had the same success in Calgary. As stated, Neal was not beating out any of Monahan, Gaudreau, Lindholm, or Tkachuk for first line or PP time. Neal is only seeing success in Edmonton riding shotgun to McDavid. The only real playmaker in Calgary is Gaudreau. Neal was too far down on the depth chart to get any time with Gaudreau.
Well that's all hypothetical, what we know is that Neal is killing it in EDM and Lucic continues to stink. I acknowledge that it's likely that Neal wouldn't be having the same success in CGY as he is in EDM

...BUT would you rather have what you have in Lucic NOW or what you think you'd have in Neal for the Flames? I think the choice is obvious.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You are very wrong please stop

Goal 1- PP, McDavid assist
Goal 2- PP, McDavid assist
Goal 3- ES, unassisted
Goal 4- PP, McDavid assist
Goal 5- PP, McDavid assist
Goal 6- ES. Jurco amd Klefbom
Goal 7- PP, McDavid assist
Goal 8- PP, no McDavid assist

Not a single ES goal from Neal assisted by McDavid you are very very wrong

Again stop you we’re caught blatantly lying you are one million percent wrong please stop embarrassing yourself

Goal 3, McDavid was on the ice for. I was wrong, in that I thought another of his goals was not on the PP. ....you know what that only strengthens my argument. Not only is Neal not able to score without McDavid, he has to do it on the PP.

Can we agree on this:

Neal needs PP time with McDavid to be an effective scorer.

That's an even more narrow definition btw. Thank you for helping me out.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Goal 3, McDavid was on the ice for.

You said assisted not on the ice for lying again

I was wrong, in that I thought another of his goals was not on the PP. ....you know what that only strengthens my argument. Not only is Neal not able to score without McDavid, he has to do it on the PP.

Can we agree on this:

I think every one but you can agree you are a proven liar thanks for showing that on your own

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
If Neal was shooting his career average so far he would be sitting at 2 or 3 goals in 7 games. It's not as if he is dominating out there. He has 6 PP goals and a 35% shot percentage. Neal - like the entire oilers roster - has had an absolutely great but completely unsustainable start against butter soft competition.

50 goals is a laughable suggestion

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I up Neals estimated scoring from 20 to 30 goals!

Played like crap yesterday, goaltending and topline saved us, due injury Manning played, and Benning is the opponents best weapon, have those 2 in the lineup is scary as hell!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The word on the street is that he said some things that permanently soured his relationship with the team, and there was no going back.

And no, I don't think he would have ever worked with the Flames. Even now, Neal is the trigger man, and that's all he's ever been. He was never going to out compete Monahan for that role on the first line. Gaudreau is the Flames only true playmaker. Neal may have been doomed in Calgary, the day Lindholm took a massive step forward (which happened in the first week of the season).

If Neal's found chemistry with McDavid, good for him. Having chemistry with the best player in the league is going to boost your numbers. There's no doubt about that. However, concluding that he would have eventually found a similar role in Calgary isn't supported by anything.

Considering the positive spin the Calgary media is still trying to put on the trade, I have a tough time believing any of those reports.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Goal 3, McDavid was on the ice for. I was wrong, in that I thought another of his goals was not on the PP. ....you know what that only strengthens my argument. Not only is Neal not able to score without McDavid, he has to do it on the PP.

Can we agree on this:

What a train wreck. Go to sleep. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
What a train wreck. Go to sleep. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day

Care to refute the claim? The deep dive revealed things were worse than initially thought. Not only did Neal need to be playing with McDavid to score, it had to be on the pp. An opportunity he would not have in Calgary.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Care to refute the claim? The deep dive revealed things were worse than initially thought. Not only did Neal need to be playing with McDavid to score, it had to be on the pp. An opportunity he would not have in Calgary.

I see they wrote a book on you

lies_and_the_lying_liars.jpg

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
The penalty minutes and dirty looks more than makeup for the lack of scoring by the loch. Calgary media still grasping at air. There should be a 50/50 on whether Campbell talks about Loches looks tonight . I think she has a h/on for him ...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Reality. Neal wasn’t a fit for Calgary. Taking on Lucic, whose in the conferference, for a player who can still produce is absolutely awful. Not giving Neal another year before sending him out for complete minimum was another by Calgary. Just a twainwreck in general by Calgary here.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

No, just Flames fans inventing things and then using their fantasy to make their point.

Neal scored two ES goals against NYI, here is the boxscore: Edmonton Oilers - New York Islanders - October 8th, 2019

The first ES goal is unassisted, and the second ES goal is assisted by Jurco and Klefboom.

All the other 6 goals scored by Neal are PP....

Care to explain again the "conspiracy"?

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
While true that if the flames were to buy out Neal the cap hit would affect the Flames for 8 seasons at a hit of $1.9 million per, the cap has went up an average of 2.84 million over the past 5 seasons. This means that if you bought him out, you could sign someone in the AHL or ECHL for the league minimum salary this season and they would be close to or as effective as lucic while still having extra cap space for a minor upgrade. Or if you’re more frugal, if you bought him out this season and didn’t do anything until next season you could afford a decent middle 6 player that would most definitely do more than Lucic would ever do for the remainder of their contracts.

Most importantly (from a Flames fan POV) you guys would be watching Oilers fans rage and try to set the world on fire because Lucic is still mucking it up and being a negative contributor every single game.

Buyout calculator
James Neal buyout calculator, cap hit impact | Puckpedia

As for the thread, 35 would be nice.

Last edited:

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

Can we agree on this:

You do realise that there is a single Flames player who has 3 or more ES goals this season, don't you? Even without the 6 PP goals, Neal would be as effective scorer as the best Flames snipers this season.
Add to this that some of the Neal's PP goals were not a direct byproduct of McD (for example the deflected shot by Klefboom, this is not tjhe only one).

And posts like this definitely don't strengten your argument..... What would really help would simply be "I'm sorry I was wrong", but I know we will not see that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad