James Neal will score 40+ goals this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
Not a lot better no but it is better and it is more than just 3 berths it is not being the worst team in the league repeatedly.

There is no splitting hairs, the Oilers had a historically bad run, the Flames had a bad run. Neither is desirable but one is clearly much better than the other.
"We're better then you by a tiny margin."

"At least we aren't historically bad just slightly better then historically bad"

Glad You clarified that.

Reactions: PinSeeker

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
How long is that cap hit there for on a buyout though. That is why so many of these terrible contracts aren't bought out because of the long term ramifications.
If I was an NHL GM, I certainly would rather be stuck with a 1.9 cap hit for 6 or 7 years, then Lucic for 4 more years at 5 million. The buyout would free up cap space for the next 4 seasons to help the team right now and in 3 or 4 years a 1.9 cap hit remaining for a few seasons will be nothing.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
other than Chiasson, I don't expect a huge regression

Giordano literally doubled his production from the previous year...at 35...that kind of anomaly never re-occurs
Not saying it will recur, but Gio is a unicorn in that he has gotten better in his 30s, both by production and possession metrics, which is extremely rare. There's also a good argument to be made that his production swings have been a result of his partner: Paired with Brodie he has produced at a high rate (74 in 78 games, 56 in 82, 47/48 in 64/61 games); paired with Hamilton, his production dropped to 0.5 points/game, which I don't think is a coincidence (Hamilton was constantly jumping into the play and often late to defend, forcing Gio to play much more conservatively).

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He got injured the year prior where he was on the same pace. You forget about that? Then he had a good season, then Gulutzan happened, then he left and Gio is back. Nothing crazy about it. Lots of Defenseman play great late into their careers.
pace is just pace though....Neal is on pace for 143 goals :laugh:

the fact that Giordano had never reached 60 points let alone 70 show what kind of year he had...and this isn't some young budding defenseman...he's 36

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Lucic scored 23 goals and had 50 points in his first season with the Oilers. Give it time, Neals +40% Shooting rate will level out and then we can bump this hilarious thread like we usually do with all of the "hurr durr Oilers gonna be good this year!" threads we see in the early and off season.

Buying out a UFA in his first year is how you end up not being able to sign UFA's.
Then wait a season and buy him out. Even in Lucic's first year with the Oilers cracks were appearing in his game, he was not good 5 on 5 at all. Year 2 and 3 he was awful, even when given opportunities that Neal is getting. He got demoted to the forth line on a team with no NHL forward depth.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
Of course you think that. Outside of Giordano every player in Calgary that you expect to regress was under 25 years of age last season, yet they have magically peaked or hit there upmost potential.
Due to ceiling, that is correct.

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
I think someone forgot who started this thread. A Flames fan who failed miserably at trolling the Oilers fanbase with the 40 Goal remark.

Also there is more than 1 option to buying him out. Send him to the minors. But I guess having a pylon like Lucic was a better investment :P
The flames troll. Guess we should start taking Toddfromleduc seriously.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If I was an NHL GM, I certainly would rather be stuck with a 1.9 cap hit for 6 or 7 years, then Lucic for 4 more years at 5 million. The buyout would free up cap space for the next 4 seasons to help the team right now and in 3 or 4 years a 1.9 cap hit remaining for a few seasons will be nothing.

That's fair if that is what you would do but its seems most GM's want to wait until later in those deals to try and make that move. Its why guys like Lucic, Neal, Eriksen, Ladd, Okposo are still given chances rather than buying out their terrible deals that are not worth close to what the guys bring.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
pace is just pace though....Neal is on pace for 143 goals :laugh:

the fact that Giordano had never reached 60 points let alone 70 show what kind of year he had...and this isn't some young budding defenseman...he's 36

That's one guy though and if he drops to 55 points do you really think that the Flames are out of the play-offs? There is a good chance that some of their younger defensemen like Andersson or Kylington jump up to replace that scoring.

The Flames weren't close to missing out last year. They weren't reliant on Gio getting that many points. So him dropping off to closer to his normal production is far from a huge hit to their play-off chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad