James Neal will score 40+ goals this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
They didn't trade Neal for a worse player they traded him for an equally terrible player. Both guys are garbage.
Lucic had the same opportunity in Edmonton as Neal and he was much worse then Neal is playing, so one is definitely worse then the other.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Edmonton's top five point producers last season all had career years, yet they finished 25th in the NHL. Do you expect the same regression from your players?
other than Chiasson, I don't expect a huge regression

Giordano literally doubled his production from the previous year...at 35...that kind of anomaly never re-occurs

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
That is why they lost the trade, they should have bought out Neal and had neither of them. The Oilers now have that option, which is why they won the trade, but since Neal is scoring goals like crazy, they may as well keep him for now.

It isn't like the Neal buyout is some great option.

The Flames would have never bought Neal out because it is bad option as the savings are not that great at all.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary

Giordano literally doubled his production from the previous year...at 35...that kind of anomaly never re-occurs

It does when you change your coach and no longer have to babysit a different D man on your pairing.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
It isn't like the Neal buyout is some great option.

The Flames would have never bought Neal out because it is bad option as the savings are not that great at all.
Having a cap hit of 1.9 million and no Lucic is far batter then having Lucic in the lineup with a 5 million cap hit.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Having a cap hit of 1.9 million and no Lucic is far batter then having Lucic in the lineup with a 5 million cap hit.

How long is that cap hit there for on a buyout though. That is why so many of these terrible contracts aren't bought out because of the long term ramifications.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
Edmonton's top five point producers last season all had career years, yet they finished 25th in the NHL. Do you expect the same regression from your players?

No because they all have higher ceilings, are younger and still developing rather then in their peak primes.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Lucic had the same opportunity in Edmonton as Neal and he was much worse then Neal is playing, so one is definitely worse then the other.

Lucic scored 23 goals and had 50 points in his first season with the Oilers. Give it time, Neals +40% Shooting rate will level out and then we can bump this hilarious thread like we usually do with all of the "hurr durr Oilers gonna be good this year!" threads we see in the early and off season.

Buying out a UFA in his first year is how you end up not being able to sign UFA's.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It does when you change your coach and no longer have to babysit a different D man on your pairing.
he had 18 more points than his 2nd best year ever, which occurred 4 seasons ago...major anomaly

reminds me when Hudler had that huge year for the Flames (obviously Giordano is a better player)

or maybe he found the fountain of youth and hitting his prime now at 36...if that's the case, then I like Neal's chances doing the same

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
Calgary did not lose the trade at all. Neal and Lucic both suck. The Flames are better off without Neal on the team, they would also be better off with Lucic off the team as well.
Yes, the top goal scorer in the league "sucks" especially in comparison to Lucic with zero on the year...

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
No because they all have higher ceilings, are younger and still developing rather then in their peak primes.

Of course you think that. Outside of Giordano every player in Calgary that you expect to regress was under 25 years of age last season, yet they have magically peaked or hit there upmost potential.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
he had 18 more points than his 2nd best year ever, which occurred 4 seasons ago...major anomaly

reminds me when Hudler had that huge year for the Flames (obviously Giordano is a better player)

or maybe he found the fountain of youth and hitting his prime now at 36...if that's the case, then I like Neal's chances doing the same

He got injured the year prior where he was on the same pace. You forget about that? Then he had a good season, then Gulutzan happened, then he left and Gio is back. Nothing crazy about it. Lots of Defenseman play great late into their careers.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

He also had seasons of 56, 47, 48 and 49 so it isn't like he was a career 35 point scorer and then had a huge year. The team improved a lot last year so he was the beneficiary of that. He might not score 74 points this year but it isn't like the Flames were realiant on that or close to missing the play-offs.

Even if they drop to 10th in GF they still likely easily make the play-offs.

Again anything could happen but the Flames weren't riding an unsustainable run of play from their players last year and it would be a shock if they didn't make the play-offs this year.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Calgary won a division title last season. Something Edmonton hasn't done in over 25 years. But, yes our organizations have had "essentially" the same level of success in recent years. Calgary has been the far more successful franchise over the past decade - to say otherwise is complete lunacy.
And recently the oilers won 7 games in one playoff appearance, something the flames haven’t done in 15 years.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Lucic scored 23 goals and had 50 points in his first season with the Oilers. Give it time, Neals +40% Shooting rate will level out and then we can bump this hilarious thread like we usually do with all of the "hurr durr Oilers gonna be good this year!" threads we see in the early and off season.

Buying out a UFA in his first year is how you end up not being able to sign UFA's.

I think someone forgot who started this thread. A Flames fan who failed miserably at trolling the Oilers fanbase with the 40 Goal remark.

Also there is more than 1 option to buying him out. Send him to the minors. But I guess having a pylon like Lucic was a better investment :P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad