Value of: James Neal to BOS

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Well this is a reasonable view, though I think with Chara's deal ending there is some room to make it work if he retires. This is a totally hypothetical trade thread, of course it's a waste of time. I follow the Bruins somewhat haphazardly, they are my Dad's team and I would cheer for them over most teams in the East. I've watched a lot of their games this year, and what I've seen is that they are a one line team that lacks depth at forward. Krejci-DeBrusk are good top 6 players but they are having a tough time being effective without another threat on their line. Krejci and Neal would be a nice combo I think, Neal needs a center that can set him up and so far this year he's mostly been with Derek Ryan.

If the Bruins wanted Neal at his cap number they could have just signed him for it in the summer. I doubt his performance so far this year has driven them to now give up any assets for him. His term is just too long and risky for any team move any assets for. Calgary is probably stuck with him unless someone wants to swap equally underperforming players on bad contracts.

Reactions: FerrisRox

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Sweeney gave up more than Donato and a 2nd just last year for UFA Rick Nash, who isn't even playing this year. HF darling Cheveldayoff gave up a 1st and more for 32 year old UFA Paul Stastny. But sure, the notion any GM would be willing to give up assets for a very proven top 6 scorer is "laughable".

Your "very proven top 6 scorer" is on pace for a 16 point season. Nash had more than double that and Statsny had more than triple that.

Lots of teams were in on Neal, Vegas included, I think it was Mike Smith and the extra year that convinced him to come to Calgary.

Sure, other teams were in on him, but no other team was giving him the dollars and terms that Calgary did. That's my point.

Donato has 11 total career NHL points :laugh: please don't act like he is some superstar in the making.

You laugh at Donato's production, and yet, it's more than twice as good as the pace that Neal is on this year. Surely you can see the problem here?

Just think it's totally outrageous for people to suggest a player of Neal's caliber has negative value and the Flames would have to pay other teams to take him on after two poor months in an otherwise very impressive career.

First of all, it's not two months, it's four months and secondly, you seem to repeatedly refuse to acknowledge that the reason that people think he's a toxic asset is because he's signed a five year deal. If he were on a one year deal, people might roll the dice based on his track record, but nobody wants to be on the hook for nearly $6 million bucks for him as a 32, 33, 34 and 35 year old if this is how he's performing in year one of the deal.

He would be the Bruins 6th highest scoring forward even with those measly 6 points. They need a top 6 RW and they need one badly. Neal has been that his entire career.

Again, he hasn't been that his entire career. He's not that now. And now is when you want Boston to acquire him (they don't have the cap space to do it anyway.) Between him and Backes there wouldn't be a team in the league getting less for $12 million.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If the Bruins wanted Neal at his cap number they could have just signed him for it in the summer. I doubt his performance so far this year has driven them to now give up any assets for him. His term is just too long and risky for any team move any assets for. Calgary is probably stuck with him unless someone wants to swap equally underperforming players on bad contracts.
Yeah and if they wanted Tavares they could of just signed him too. It's less about Neal's performance and more about the Bruins' performance. They need scoring. Calgary doesn't need to get rid of him at all, they are first in their division even with his under performing play. Boston is the one with the need.

Your "very proven top 6 scorer" is on pace for a 16 point season. Nash had more than double that and Statsny had more than triple that.
Sure, other teams were in on him, but no other team was giving him the dollars and terms that Calgary did. That's my point.

He's operating at a 97.3 PDO, you're just being obtuse here if you think a player with 10 straight 20 goal seasons is going to end up with under 20 points. He's being underutilized in Calgary, averaging 2:30 less than his career average.

You laugh at Donato's production, and yet, it's more than twice as good as the pace that Neal is on this year. Surely you can see the problem here?
Donato has 2 powerplay goals in 15 games and no other points. That's actually a worse pace than Neal is on, so I don't know what you're getting at. Debating differences of such minuscule amounts is pointless.

First of all, it's not two months, it's four months and secondly, you seem to repeatedly refuse to acknowledge that the reason that people think he's a toxic asset is because he's signed a five year deal. If he were on a one year deal, people might roll the dice based on his track record, but nobody wants to be on the hook for nearly $6 million bucks for him as a 32, 33, 34 and 35 year old if this is how he's performing in year one of the deal.

Again, he hasn't been that his entire career. He's not that now. And now is when you want Boston to acquire him (they don't have the cap space to do it anyway.) Between him and Backes there wouldn't be a team in the league getting less for $12 million.

Nobody cares what happened in September. The season started two months and a week ago. He has been that his entire career, one of the most consistent goal scorers in the league over that time ranking 16th in goals since entering the NHL. Nobody wants to be on the hook for big money deals for players aged 32-36, despite the countless examples of teams being on the hook for big money deals for players 32+.

If the Bruins can't afford to pay him that's one thing, but with the group of players they have they need to be competing now and I just happen to think Neal would be a good fit on that second line. They don't have the depth to compete with Tampa or Toronto or Washington or Pittsburgh. Sweeney knows he needs to be going for it, which is why Rick Nash was in a Bruins uniform last playoffs.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Yeah and if they wanted Tavares they could of just signed him too. It's less about Neal's performance and more about the Bruins' performance. They need scoring. Calgary doesn't need to get rid of him at all, they are first in their division even with his under performing play. Boston is the one with the need.

No team in the league needs a near 6 million dollar forward with 6 points. Not one.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Nothing but intelligent well reasoned and rational responses. Tip of my hat to the HFBoards Trade section. Keep em coming :laugh:

Well think about it... If the Bruins weren’t willing to give Neal that contract in the summer (and we can assume they weren’t), why would they be eager to give up something for him now, even before considering his struggles?

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
No team in the league needs a near 6 million dollar forward with 6 points. Not one.

Well thing about it... If the Bruins weren’t willing to give Neal that contract in the summer (and we can assume they weren’t), why would they be eager to give up something for him now, even before considering his struggles?

Because despite having one of if not the best lines in hockey the Bruins are 28th in the league in goals for. 28th. Only the Hurricanes, Coyotes, and Kings have less.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
How does a guy on pace for under 18 points that costs 5.75 help?

Really going in circles here aren't we. Let's just use a 29 game span to pass judgement on a player and ignore the 700 other ones :laugh:

This is Neal's rank for goals since entering the league. Look at some of the names around him.

nealscore.png

On the Flames Neal is playing on the third line, on the Bruins he could slot in on the second with DeBrusk and Krejci easily.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad