Value of: James Neal to BOS

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Just curious what Bruins fans might be willing to give up for Neal. The Flames don't really need to move him or are likely to be shopping him at all in the first couple months of a brand new 5 year contract. He makes 5.75 per. This is more of a pure hypothetical.

He has scored 20 goals or more every season he's been in the NHL, this his 11th at 31 years old. Hasn't found a place in the Flames' top 6 yet this year, some of which is due to opportunity, some of which is due to his own poor play. He has 3 Gs 3 As on the year but hasn't been as bad as those numbers suggest, shooting at 4%. Think he might be a nice addition to DeBrusk-Krejci on the RW. The Bruins need some secondary scoring in a bad way as after Pastrnak, Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, and DeBrusk their next highest scoring forward is Joakim Nordstrom with 5pts.

Flames don't really have any super pressing needs, but they might like to get cheaper up front.

Ryan Donato + a 2nd too much? What do you think?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
“Give” I think you mean get along with. Neal isn’t getting anything of value with his current play verses contract.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think we're better off waiting for Neal to get used to his new stick. He's just snake bitten right now on top of the fact he's lobbing muffins with whatever he's using now as a twig. There's going to be some growing pains when the stick you've been using for like a decade suddenly is replaced by something not quite the same (Easton Mako which was discontinued when Bauer bought out Easton and buried their hockey line). Once he starts firing lasers, watch out!

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think we're better off waiting for Neal to get used to his new stick. He's just snake bitten right now on top of the fact he's lobbing muffins with whatever he's using now as a twig. There's going to be some growing pains when the stick you've been using for like a decade suddenly is replaced by something not quite the same (Easton Mako which was discontinued when Bauer bought out Easton and buried their hockey line). Once he starts firing lasers, watch out!
You'd think a guy with that kind of contract would simply pay Bauer to make a personalized model, wouldn't you? If I were Calgary, I'd watch out when your GM dabbles in the UFA market. His track record hasn't been the greatest.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
You'd think a guy with that kind of contract would simply pay Bauer to make a personalized model, wouldn't you? If I were Calgary, I'd watch out when your GM dabbles in the UFA market. His track record hasn't been the greatest.

I don't have the source, but my buddy says he swears he read or heard on the radio somewhere that Neal asked Bauer whether they would do exactly that and Bauer refused. I guess it makes sense as Bauer wants to promote their Vapor/Supreme/Nexus sticks and wouldn't be interested in cannibalizing their own product by keeping the Easton Mako line (rebranded as a Vapor/Supreme/Nexus or not). Neal further wouldn't just whimper into the night if his play would be so badly affected by the discontinuation of that stick. He'd definitely try to secure a supply of that stick. However, it seems like even if he had that stick, if it's Easton branded, he might not be able to use it anyways as there's some licensing aspect to the equipment usage and Easton's contract was not renewed.

Either way though, there's really no need to bleed value to someone to take Neal. He's not a total liability like Brouwer on the ice and off the ice it seems like he's been a good locker room glue sorta of guy unlike Brouwer who apparently ruffled a few feathers with some of his comments. Currently, with the other players of ours who are scoring like they are, we can afford to wait for him to find his scoring touch.

I don't completely disagree with your FA comment regarding our GM. It seems to be his Achilles heel for sure.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Just curious what Bruins fans might be willing to give up for Neal. The Flames don't really need to move him or are likely to be shopping him at all in the first couple months of a brand new 5 year contract. He makes 5.75 per. This is more of a pure hypothetical.

He has scored 20 goals or more every season he's been in the NHL, this his 11th at 31 years old. Hasn't found a place in the Flames' top 6 yet this year, some of which is due to opportunity, some of which is due to his own poor play. He has 3 Gs 3 As on the year but hasn't been as bad as those numbers suggest, shooting at 4%. Think he might be a nice addition to DeBrusk-Krejci on the RW. The Bruins need some secondary scoring in a bad way as after Pastrnak, Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, and DeBrusk their next highest scoring forward is Joakim Nordstrom with 5pts.

Flames don't really have any super pressing needs, but they might like to get cheaper up front.

Ryan Donato + a 2nd too much? What do you think?
Ryan donato is a fixture for years . Maybe just a 2nd round pick.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Nah the Flames need to keep Neal around to make Sam Bennett feels good....they both have the same kind of luck

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
lol

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
What is about Calgary signing UFA right wingers...first Brouwer now Neal. Cap is so important and don't think any team is gambling on a 31 year old with five year deal. Is seem so strange that he may be have lost his touch so soon, but very possible.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Yeah, no one is taking that contract.

He does have an odd habit of making teams better though, went to the finals with Preds and Knights two years in a row, and now Flames are leading the division. He's more of a good luck charm than a player at this point.

Reactions: Rolo and Fig

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
It would be Neal at 1.5 million retained with a 3rd for Backes and a 4th. That's pretty much it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What is about Calgary signing UFA right wingers...first Brouwer now Neal. Cap is so important and don't think any team is gambling on a 31 year old with five year deal. Is seem so strange that he may be have lost his touch so soon, but very possible.

Until this season, our RW has been brutal. Our RW has been a gaping hole for a really damn long time ever since Iggy left and we've had issues getting legit RHS in our top 6. To be fair, Treliving's failures in FA aren't even that horrible.

RW in 2014:
- Jiri Hudler
- David Jones
- Josh Jooris
- Devin Setoguchi
- Brian McGrattan
- Drew Shore
- Joe Colborne
(Only Jooris and maybe Colborne is left with a remote shot at the NHL)

RW FA signings off the top of my head:
Engelland (RW/D)
Frolik
Vey
Brouwer
Neal

Others (Trade etc.):
- Alex Chiasson
- Micheal Ferland
- Kris Versteeg
- Emile Poirier
- Garnet Hathaway
- Curtis Lazar
- Freddie Hamilton
- Foo

giphy.gif

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
He's putting up lucic numbers with a similarly horrid contract why would anyone take him for free?

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
calling him a negative value is a bit dramatic but his value is at an all time low and you wont get much good back for him.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I don't have the source, but my buddy says he swears he read or heard on the radio somewhere that Neal asked Bauer whether they would do exactly that and Bauer refused. I guess it makes sense as Bauer wants to promote their Vapor/Supreme/Nexus sticks and wouldn't be interested in cannibalizing their own product by keeping the Easton Mako line (rebranded as a Vapor/Supreme/Nexus or not). Neal further wouldn't just whimper into the night if his play would be so badly affected by the discontinuation of that stick. He'd definitely try to secure a supply of that stick. However, it seems like even if he had that stick, if it's Easton branded, he might not be able to use it anyways as there's some licensing aspect to the equipment usage and Easton's contract was not renewed.

Either way though, there's really no need to bleed value to someone to take Neal. He's not a total liability like Brouwer on the ice and off the ice it seems like he's been a good locker room glue sorta of guy unlike Brouwer who apparently ruffled a few feathers with some of his comments. Currently, with the other players of ours who are scoring like they are, we can afford to wait for him to find his scoring touch.

I don't completely disagree with your FA comment regarding our GM. It seems to be his Achilles heel for sure.
This is great spin...once he gets used to the stick it wont be a cap-sucking 5 year commitment anymore, a great add for any team...

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
this is not the time for a Neal trade. he has not been him self. I hope for Calgary's sake he finds his game again. but you are stuck with him for now. but anything can happen. Leafs moved David Clarkson. a contract I thought was impossible to move

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad