News Article: James Neal: The Poster Child for What's Wrong With NHL Discipline System

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't single out James Neal in this discussion, to be honest I think Alex Ovechkin is more of the poster child for this, how many times does he charge players in a season? I've seen countless times where he sticks he knee out on other guys and leaves his skates and launches himself into players' heads and not only is he never disciplined, THERE ISN'T EVEN A PENALTY! At least Neal gets penalties, fines and suspensions, Ovechkin is probably the dirtiest player in the league who can get away with anything and come out squeaky clean and an idolized hero.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
ovechkin is at least a fairly consistent physical presence. his occasional charges and dirty plays should be seen the in context of his physical game that is an asset to his team. occasionally he oversteps his bounds. he walks a fine line, game in and game out.

neal just does dirty stuff when he's mad. he's a big baby.

i think there is a difference.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
PK Subban could easily be the poster child. How many times has he slew-footed other players and gotten away with it?

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
subban does a great job of getting under the oppositions skin. maybe he should be penalized more, but his "dirty" play helps his team that vast majority of time. if i was a canadians fan, i would be happy with how he plays the game.

when has neals "dirty" plays ever helped his team? i cant think of an instance. they are all selfish plays, iirc.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
subban does a great job of getting under the oppositions skin. maybe he should be penalized more, but his "dirty" play helps his team that vast majority of time. if i was a canadians fan, i would be happy with how he plays the game.

when has neals "dirty" plays ever helped his team? i cant think of an instance. they are all selfish plays, iirc.

Even more reason Subban should be the poster child over Neal.

jinx33

The Rust is real
Sep 11, 2006
Paris, FR
As much as i like Neal for his shooting abilities, i don't like him being famous because of his reckless attitude. And i won't compare about other players being dirty in a different team, you should dislike those kind of cheap shots that could seriously injure the target.

It's not his role to send a message when something goes wrong, or i could say it's not the good way. He is a goalscorer, not an enforcer. And i can't understand how he still didn't get it after being suspended 5 games.

DB and the coaching staff have something to do with this too, you can't let your best players act the worst way possible because nothing is going your way in a game.

And then, don't wonder after it's Penguins opponents who are taking the step to hurt'em, since there's no real menace of suspension on these players. It's going on and on and on.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Oh for sure, I don't like the stupid **** Neal does, especially because he doesn't need to do any of that stuff, he's an elite goal scoring winger, I mean, i would be fine with him standing up for his teammates or himself, but going out and headhunting is doing nothing but hurting the team.

However, the point we're trying to make when mentioning other teams' players is that every time there is dirt in the league, media and fans make it a point to single out the Penguins every single time.

That fiasco in 2012 vs Philly before the playoffs. Vitale with a clean open ice hit and 5 Flyers swarm him and Laviolette acts like an idiot. Who is at fault? Of course it's the Penguins. The Flyers weren't being whining children, the Penguins were dirty and Bylsma had to take off his skirt, remember?

Funny how Cooke's name doesn't surface anymore, eh? It's because he left the Penguins, if he was still here, you would still be hearing death threats towards him how he will never change, now that he's gone, not a peep from anyone really.

Malkin gets hit in the nuts, fans say "I'm okay with Legwand getting a fine", people bring up Crosby hitting Valabik in the nuts 6 years ago "HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED 10 GAMES WHAT A CHEAP PLAYER"

The hate this team gets from media and fans is unbelievable, we're no different than any other team in the league when it comes to dirty play. Guys, the Flyers made a reputation on being dirty classless idiots but people marvel to that and idolize it. Bobby Clarke is heavily admired by the same fan base that cries about James Neal on a daily basis, remember that.

EVERY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE HAS DIRTY PLAYERS, NOT ONE TEAM IS SQUEAKY CLEAN, ITS HOCKEY, GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES YOU BIASED IDIOTS (that's a generalization to all hockey fans who thinks their team can do no wrong)

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
ovechkin is at least a fairly consistent physical presence. his occasional charges and dirty plays should be seen the in context of his physical game that is an asset to his team. occasionally he oversteps his bounds. he walks a fine line, game in and game out.

neal just does dirty stuff when he's mad. he's a big baby.

i think there is a difference.

I'm with you. I don't see how people can't tell the difference.
If it's something that is part of a hockey play but is over the line that is one thing.
Not part of a hockey play, something else.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County

you have got to stop making sense - you're making everybody on here look bad

When he went after Couturier and Giroux in the playoffs a couple years back - there were still games to be played. He basically said F it - and put himself before the team, got suspended and watched his team lose the next game and the series.

Last edited:

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
do you think he intended to go out and crosscheck the guy in the head?
you can clearly see the stick glances off the top of the shoulder pads and deflect to his face . all to a player who is crouched low to the ice
i've watched hockey for a long time and seen players go aim at the head with stickwork and receive less criticism.

and i'm not saying he shouldnt have been fined or even given a short suspension because you have to be responsible for your stick but dammit, stop trying to portray him as the devil
wKetch22

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009

so if someone came back at neal there and got a 5 minute major, then you would be Ok with what he did??

that doesnt make sense to me.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009

so if someone came back at neal there and got a 5 minute major, then you would be Ok with what he did??

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
As much as i like Neal for his shooting abilities, i don't like him being famous because of his reckless attitude. And i won't compare about other players being dirty in a different team, you should dislike those kind of cheap shots that could seriously injure the target.

It's not his role to send a message when something goes wrong, or i could say it's not the good way. He is a goalscorer, not an enforcer. And i can't understand how he still didn't get it after being suspended 5 games.

DB and the coaching staff have something to do with this too, you can't let your best players act the worst way possible because nothing is going your way in a game.

And then, don't wonder after it's Penguins opponents who are taking the step to hurt'em, since there's no real menace of suspension on these players. It's going on and on and on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuuH7dS9Ml4

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Oh for sure, I don't like the stupid **** Neal does, especially because he doesn't need to do any of that stuff, he's an elite goal scoring winger, I mean, i would be fine with him standing up for his teammates or himself, but going out and headhunting is doing nothing but hurting the team.

However, the point we're trying to make when mentioning other teams' players is that every time there is dirt in the league, media and fans make it a point to single out the Penguins every single time.

That fiasco in 2012 vs Philly before the playoffs. Vitale with a clean open ice hit and 5 Flyers swarm him and Laviolette acts like an idiot. Who is at fault? Of course it's the Penguins. The Flyers weren't being whining children, the Penguins were dirty and Bylsma had to take off his skirt, remember?

Funny how Cooke's name doesn't surface anymore, eh? It's because he left the Penguins, if he was still here, you would still be hearing death threats towards him how he will never change, now that he's gone, not a peep from anyone really.

Malkin gets hit in the nuts, fans say "I'm okay with Legwand getting a fine", people bring up Crosby hitting Valabik in the nuts 6 years ago "HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED 10 GAMES WHAT A CHEAP PLAYER"

The hate this team gets from media and fans is unbelievable, we're no different than any other team in the league when it comes to dirty play. Guys, the Flyers made a reputation on being dirty classless idiots but people marvel to that and idolize it. Bobby Clarke is heavily admired by the same fan base that cries about James Neal on a daily basis, remember that.

EVERY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE HAS DIRTY PLAYERS, NOT ONE TEAM IS SQUEAKY CLEAN, ITS HOCKEY, GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES YOU BIASED IDIOTS (that's a generalization to all hockey fans who thinks their team can do no wrong)

$$$$

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
A guy who's a former ref who now writes for a hockey "blog" and of all the **** blogs out there he writes form Eklunds hockeybuzz (the cream of the crop of world ********* hockey blogs)... Yikes, I'd be all bitter and crabby too if this is the **** turn my life has taken! :laugh:

Either he he genuinely believes what he writes or he knows Neal will generate traffic. After all, this is Hockebuzz for crying out loud.

As for Neal...
For the most part, I don't have a problem admitting he is dirty. I thought his hit on Couturier was overblown, but the rest of stuff warrants criticism. My issue is how over-the-top people are when discussing him. He has been called everything except Robert Pickton up to this point. I mean seriously... Flyers and Bruins fans? Go back to watching your own players commit cheap and/or dirty plays. I guess we'll have to put up with it for the time being, especially with Cooke - "the dirtiest POS to every play hockey" - no longer part of the team.

Last edited:

ObsessedCreative*

When you're the most arrogant organization in the league what do you expect to happen? There is abs? No sarcasm here either it's 100% truth.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
So that blogger went from an NHL ref to working on Eklund's site. Quite a fall there. :laugh:

He was giving his prospective and I think that's a referees prospective. I can see where Neal isn't a referees type of player. He does have some history of embellishing and dirty plays. He'd have to do way worse things than he's done to hurt our team more than he helps it though.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
So that blogger went from an NHL ref to working on Eklund's site. Quite a fall there. :laugh:

He was giving his prospective and I think that's a referees prospective. I can see where Neal isn't a referees type of player. He does have some history of embellishing and dirty plays. He'd have to do way worse things than he's done to hurt our team more than he helps it though.

Regardless of how egregious his actions are, he is a detriment to the team's chances of winning whenever he does something stupid. I want it out of his game.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

He was a terrible NHL referee IMO. Whenever he would skate out before the game I swear there would be an audible groan in the Arena. He was a showboat who loved controlling the game. I believe he is a former player as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad