Value of: James Neal at $3M

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Three years still on that contract. Maybe Oilers trade Neal fir a guy like JVR? Kind of the Lucic - Neal trade.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
How many retention does Edmonton have ? You can only have 2 I believe (maybe that's buyouts)

You could deal Neal for real and maybe as a steal if you include a nice piece.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We already have enough dead money on the books from retention/buyouts. Hold onto him for a year and try to ship him to Seattle. If a big FA (aka Pietrangelo) wants to sign here and we desperately need space then just buy him out and go for it.

this is the correct answer. Teams can go 10% over in the offseason. If someone crazy wants to sign here, do it and figure the back end out later

Reactions: Morrison

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
How many retention does Edmonton have ? You can only have 2 I believe (maybe that's buyouts)

You could deal Neal for real and maybe as a steal if you include a nice piece.

Edmonton has 1 retention of the 3 they can have. They can have as many buyouts as they want as far as I know.

Reactions: bernmeister

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
We already have enough dead money on the books from retention/buyouts. Hold onto him for a year and try to ship him to Seattle. If a big FA (aka Pietrangelo) wants to sign here and we desperately need space then just buy him out and go for it.
What would you offer Seattle to take him out of mild curiosity ?

Reactions: Morrison

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
What would you offer Seattle to take him out of mild curiosity ?
Something to consider in the future. Can’t tell what values of our assets will be in a years time. Or how Neals play will be next season impacting his values, although having one less year makes it an easier dump to take on.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
You’d probably get a high second/late first for Neal @ 3 years and 3M hypothetically.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
uh... no?

How not? A playoff contender at the deadline with minimal cap space doesn’t want to bring on a perennial 20 goal scorer that brings grit, leadership, and tons of playoff experience? And he’s not even a rental? He’s 33, not 37. I agree, Neal at $5.75M with three years left is a big turn off, but $3M? That’s a different story entirely.

Rick Nash got a 1st as a rental and that’s pretty damn similar. Both 33, both declined in recent years, but still playing at 20 goal/.5 PPG pace.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
How not? A playoff contender at the deadline with minimal cap space doesn’t want to bring on a perennial 20 goal scorer that brings grit, leadership, and tons of playoff experience? And he’s not even a rental? He’s 33, not 37. I agree, Neal at $5.75M with three years left is a big turn off, but $3M? That’s a different story entirely.

Rick Nash got a 1st as a rental and that’s pretty damn similar. Both 33, both declined in recent years, but still playing at 20 goal/.5 PPG pace.
If someone was willing to offer a 1st or 2nd for Neal with retention he would have been gone by now.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
If someone was willing to offer a 1st or 2nd for Neal with retention he would have been gone by now.

It takes two to tango. Oilers were buyers not sellers at the deadline this year. Oilers might do it for a first, but why would they do it for a late second or even worse? To them is Neal at $2.75M (compared to retaining $3M) a year worth more than the pick? Likely so for the reasons I mentioned above. But agree to disagree.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
I haven't paid attention, but has JVR fallen off that much? He was a good top 6 forward a few years ago.

As soon as he left Toronto, his production began to decline considerably. Now Philly has an overpaid winger they don't even use in their top 6 making 7 million dollars for the next 3 years. Yikes.

Reactions: lwvs84

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Neal is total deadweight.

If you max retain, he costs 3 3rds, one for each yr of his deal to move vs a nothing return, like a 7th rd pick, w/or w/o condition(s).

Marleau standards says 6m = 1 yr.
He is just shy of that at 5.75 x 3.
If no retention, almost 3 1sts to move by the math.
Would certainly be two 1sts +, assuming no lesser deadweight going the other way to reduce.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Three years still on that contract. Maybe Oilers trade Neal fir a guy like JVR? Kind of the Lucic - Neal trade.

As soon as he left Toronto, his production began to decline considerably. Now Philly has an overpaid winger they don't even use in their top 6 making 7 million dollars for the next 3 years. Yikes.

While it’s true that JVR has been a disappointment for the Flyers, it doesn’t feel like he’s quite fallen to James Neal level disappointment at this point in time. He’s younger than Neal and has been putting up an impressive points to toi ratio that shows he still has some offensive gas in the tank. I’d say that JVR has next to no value right now, but I’d also say that Neal has more negative value. I don’t think the contracts quite balance it out without some retention on Neal. It feels as though he’s been relegated to bottom six duties due to his lack of play away from the puck and his coasting(qualities Neal is known for as well)

If the Flyers disagree though, the Oilers should take the deal and run. If we ignore his disappointing playoffs, JVR is clearly the better player here and would probably still pot a number of goals playing with the supporting cast on the Oilers who would be forced to use him in the top6 due to lack of depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad