Signing(s): Jameis Winston signs with Saints (1 Year, $1.1 Million)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If Drew Brees goes down, I’ll take my chances on Winston instead of Trevor Siemian or Mike Glennon.

Can't blame you for Glennon. Guy could have 3 players open (2 downfield) and he'll throw to the nearest one every time. Siemian feels like a lifetime ago. Crazy to think he's already won almost half as many games as Winston ever did in about 1/3 the time and can't even get a sniff.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Can't blame you for Glennon. Guy could have 3 players open (2 downfield) and he'll throw to the nearest one every time. Siemian feels like a lifetime ago. Crazy to think he's already won almost half as many games as Winston ever did in about 1/3 the time and can't even get a sniff.
He was with the Jets last year, but had his leg snapped off on Monday Night Football. Those guys always show up later anyways when others get hurt.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012

Lol at comparing Siemen to Winston. Winston isnt THAT bad.

Reactions: Voight

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Lol at comparing Siemen to Winston. Winston isnt THAT bad.

I hate to sound contrarian. I really do. But Winston is what he is at this point and I do not believe it will ever change. It was time for everyone to move on. But I feel it important to show the game that got Winston benched for the first time in his career (for a Ryan Fitzpatrick that just got himself benched) and the moment I thought "It cannot possibly get worse than this..."

This is a 4th year QB making these mistakes and playing for his job because he is coming off a suspension. The Bucs responded by picking up Winston's 5 year option and eliminating all semblance of competition to the point where Winston only missed like 11 snaps last year.

He responded by doing this in his 5th year

Granted.... Trevor Siemian was BRUTAL. You're dead-on about that. But if he's actually worse than Winston his career is done. Especially given that injury.

If he goes on and has this amazing Brett Favre style career and wins gobs of championships I won't be the least bit upset. It wasn't gonna happen with the Bucs. But I'm not holding my breath.

Winston will absolutely succeed as a backup who plays sparingly. But when you play the guy 16 games a year this is what you get

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A 1st overall pick who still needs training wheels after 5 years and went from allegedly asking for upwards of $25 million a year or more to a $952K base salary. That's his career in a nutshell.
1st pick in a draft is worth $25 million on his 4 year rookie contract. Add in the 5th year option, that should take his career earnings to around $46 million. So, he's ahead of the majority of players who make it to age 30 in the NFL as a starter.

But, it does say something about his career trajectory that he's taking a step back. NO already has Brees at $25 million or so and just inked Hill to $20 million over 2 years? Inexpensive insurance policy for NO since I think they will continue to use Hill more at various positions, so he could end up getting hurt.

The 5th year option was worth around $20 million for him last season

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
upload_2020-4-29_13-16-5.png

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
17 mill to Hill and Winston. Kamara has to be feeling bitter right now.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
He's not nearly as bad as the INT jokes make him out to be.

Led the league in picks, yes.

But also was #1 in yards and #2 in TD while playing behind a bad o-line.

All things considered he nets out to average/above average

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

If the team is behind, then the QB is going to throw the ball to catch up.

Be interesting to see the breakdown of his stats by Quarter. Yards, interceptions, completions, TDs, etc.

I think Blake Bortles led the league in passing in the 4th Quarter in the past, ie. Garbage time stats.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012

He also holds the ball for too long. Plus playing with Evans, Godwin, Brate, Howard and leading the league in attempts will lead to a ton of yards and TDs.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
1st pick in a draft is worth $25 million on his 4 year rookie contract. Add in the 5th year option, that should take his career earnings to around $46 million. So, he's ahead of the majority of players who make it to age 30 in the NFL as a starter.

But, it does say something about his career trajectory that he's taking a step back. NO already has Brees at $25 million or so and just inked Hill to $20 million over 2 years? Inexpensive insurance policy for NO since I think they will continue to use Hill more at various positions, so he could end up getting hurt.

The 5th year option was worth around $20 million for him last season
I think that they really do have a chance to groom Winston as their new starter behind Brees and Payton. He's got all the right tools, I think he just needs to learn to use them and throw out some rusty ones. I'm not entirely sold on the idea that Lasik eye surgery is going to magically fix his problems. It's obviously going to help his literal vision, but that's not necessarily going to help his football vision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad