Signing(s): Jalen Hurts signs monster 5 year deal

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
It's not a tough decision. Chase will eventually play somewhere else because they can't pay him top dollar. The OL and D come before the WR position, in that order. KC let Tyreek go and they're doing just fine.

If they cheap out on Burrow, after all they've put the fanbase through for three decades, good freaking luck getting anyone to go to those home games.

I'm sure Steelers fans and maybe even Browns fans will be willing to help with two of the games each year

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Good for Hurts. Been quite a ride from losing the starting job at Bama to here, so more power to him. The Eagles didn't have too many choices here and I'm sure living the Carson Wentz experience fairly recently incentivized them to get it done. I'll be interested to see where Burrow/Herbert come in at, and if this changes Lamar's tack at all.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
But Lamar TrUzZzZ TwItTeR though
Going to see so many of Lamar's backers on these sports shows backtrack now with Hurt's contract signed. Lamar, MVP in 2019, Hurts, MVP runner up and Super Bowl appearance in 2022 season. Lamar was first eligible to sign a new deal in 2021 off season, but couldn't come to terms. Now, Hurts gets his deal in his first off-season of eligibility.

Lamar - $8 million earned after 3 seasons. Hurts $4.6 mill. Difference of $3.4 mill at the time. Hurts decided it was best to secure the 9 figures of guaranteed money.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Please excuse my stupid question, but will Hurts carry a maximum cap hit below $36m/season with this new deal? That would be pretty affordable for such a productive player. I also like the shorter term for the Eagles; Hurts rushes often and could get hurt earlier than pocket passers.

Gruß,
BSHH

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Please excuse my stupid question, but will Hurts carry a maximum cap hit below $36m/season with this new deal? That would be pretty affordable for such a productive player. I also like the shorter term for the Eagles; Hurts rushes often and could get hurt earlier than pocket passers.

Gruß,
BSHH
Take a day or so and then check in with spotrac when they get all of the details of his deal.

Signing bonuses will be averaged throughout the 5 years of his deal. Then we need to see base salary and roster bonuses. They are taking a larger cap hit on Hurts this seasons since he was due to count like $1 mill or something on the final year of his rookie deal as a second round pick. That helps to keep the cap hit more manageable in the coming 3 seasons after 2023.

Reactions: BSHH

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hurts was great but that Eagles offense was stacked last year. Might not get as good supporting cast around him year after year.
That’s how it is for every QB that gets paid. It’s getting the QB that’s the hard part.

Gruß,
BSHH
I actually read somewhere the other day that you’re actually not more likely to get hurt in the pocket than if you were to scramble.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That’s how it is for every QB that gets paid. It’s getting the QB that’s the hard part.

I actually read somewhere the other day that you’re actually not more likely to get hurt in the pocket than if you were to scramble.
The injury that puts you out probably is from some 300 lb guy landing on you vs getting hit at a higher rate of speed vs a 200 lb DB or 230 LB. But, there is a cumulative effect of getting hit a lot.

For Hurts, just by sheer age of the OL with Kelce and Johnson, they are close to the end. Kelce is year to year. Johnson has stepped away from the team before for Mental Health reasons. So, the OL is going to change.

How many good weapons can a team afford with a high QB cap hit? Brown is getting paid now. Smith has another year left before he can do an extension, but would still have year 4 and the 5th year option.

Pressure is on Hurts to deliver when the weapons are not as good or defence is not as elite. And it's on Roseman as well to find quality players in the draft who can step in and contribute as well as add players in free agency or trades to plug holes for a year or two.

But, that's how it should be in a salary cap world. Can't hog all the high end talent. Have to make decisions and fill in the roster with cheaper options. That's also where quality coaching comes in.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Hurts was great but that Eagles offense was stacked last year. Might not get as good supporting cast around him year after year.
Brown, Smith, and Goedert are under contract the next 3 years and the Eagles always have a good online. Defensively is another issue.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Brown, Smith, and Goedert are under contract the next 3 years and the Eagles always have a good online. Defensively is another issue.
OL, will change as Kelce/Johnson are nearing the end. Probably a wise move to invest in that position this draft or next year's draft at OT.

It was early, so not sure if Graziano from ESPN had all of the numbers, but he said that the average cap hit from Hurts would be around $20 million over the next 4 seasons. But, still waiting on Spotrac to have the cap hits so that we can see it.

Can Philly have both Brown and Smith on $20 plus mill deals? By then Johnson and Kelce will be gone. But, who knows how much Dickerson would then cost them? So, never know until you see the replacements play to know where money needs to get spent.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
OL, will change as Kelce/Johnson are nearing the end. Probably a wise move to invest in that position this draft or next year's draft at OT.

It was early, so not sure if Graziano from ESPN had all of the numbers, but he said that the average cap hit from Hurts would be around $20 million over the next 4 seasons. But, still waiting on Spotrac to have the cap hits so that we can see it.

Can Philly have both Brown and Smith on $20 plus mill deals? By then Johnson and Kelce will be gone. But, who knows how much Dickerson would then cost them? So, never know until you see the replacements play to know where money needs to get spent.
I believe Lane said he plans to play 2 or 3 more seasons. Kelce is year to year. They have always invested on the oline and will continue doing so. Jurgens was picked last year in the 2nd round and Dickerson the year before. Would not suprise me if they drafted one with their first 1st round pick. Key is to draft well now that they paid the quarterback.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Eagles rarely look foolish on guys they let walk, and the cap never goes down.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Eagles rarely look foolish on guys they let walk, and the cap never goes down.
Best players on their respective teams coming off rookie deals, never hit the market. Team wants to keep them. Only if there is another underlying issue would a team not sign the player. At worst, they tag to maintain the rights and trade them somewhere the player wants for something.

The guys you let go, are either players you don't think are worth the contract ask and/or feel that you can replace coming off rookie deals. The guys who are looking for their 3rd NFL contract, generally easier for teams to let them walk if the money doesn't make sense to them since they are around 30 and their best years are behind them, barring them being OL or QB who last longer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Details just dropped

This will get restructured in 2 or 3 years.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's a lot of cap to be pushing into the future. Assuming he is paid what the numbers say through 2026, so the next 4 NFL seasons, he gets $157 Mill cash give or take but the Eagles only take around $75 million in cap charges. So, upwards of $80 mill of the cash has not hit the salary cap.

Watson, only in year 2, will finish this season and the browns will have pushed $60 million into the future. Paid him $90 mill and taken only $30 mill against the cap.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's a lot of cap to be pushing into the future. Assuming he is paid what the numbers say through 2026, so the next 4 NFL seasons, he gets $157 Mill cash give or take but the Eagles only take around $75 million in cap charges. So, upwards of $80 mill of the cash has not hit the salary cap.

Watson, only in year 2, will finish this season and the browns will have pushed $60 million into the future. Paid him $90 mill and taken only $30 mill against the cap.
Cap never goes down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad