Signing(s): Jalen Hurts signs monster 5 year deal

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I didn't think the Lamar situation could get worse but ...

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Herbert and Burrow will be signing similar deals. I think Herbert gets around Hurtz, money and term. I think Burrow gets a Mahomes type deal for like 8-10 years.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t pay much attention to bring the highest paid player ever, Joe Burrow will eclipse that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hurts also gets to free agency again before he turns 30. First no-trade clause in eagles history.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hurts also gets to free agency again before he turns 30. First no-trade clause in eagles history.
Generally with QBs, or most high end talented players who get the big money, they are either restructured 2-3 years into the contract, or they get cut after the guaranteed portion of their money is paid out. If Hurts isn't getting a revised contract from the Eagles, I'm not sure that's a good sign for Hurts, ala Carr. Performance has to match the money the team is paying you. If the team doesn't feel that it is, they will move on.

Major blow to Lamar and his expectations of a Watson type deal if that is what he is pushing for.

I don't view Herbert as the type to hold a firm position like Lamar for all guaranteed money. I dont' get the sense he would like to deal with the media in a contract negotiation that becomes difficult.

Only Burrow has that personality to go toe to toe with ownership like that. If he doesn't show up for OTA/Camp, the Bengals would be under so much pressure to get him signed.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
The Bengals aren't going to f*** around and I doubt very much Burrow's camp would stand for f***ery in the first place.
They literally can't f*** around here.

If they let Burrow get away because of frugality they might as well relocate the team because that would be the last straw with the fanbase.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They literally can't f*** around here.

If they let Burrow get away because of frugality they might as well relocate the team because that would be the last straw with the fanbase.
Burrow would do what Lamar should have done if that was the case, and not show up for OTAs/camp if he doesn't get the new deal he wants. He has that personality to do it. And the resume as well.

So, whether he wants to go Watson structure or Mahomes structure, that's completely up to him. He is wise enough to know that the Bengals have some tough decisions to make coming up. That defence isn't going to get much money moving forward if you pay the QB and couple of weapons, and the OL.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Burrow would do what Lamar should have done if that was the case, and not show up for OTAs/camp if he doesn't get the new deal he wants. He has that personality to do it. And the resume as well.

So, whether he wants to go Watson structure or Mahomes structure, that's completely up to him. He is wise enough to know that the Bengals have some tough decisions to make coming up. That defence isn't going to get much money moving forward if you pay the QB and couple of weapons, and the OL.
It's not a tough decision. Chase will eventually play somewhere else because they can't pay him top dollar. The OL and D come before the WR position, in that order. KC let Tyreek go and they're doing just fine.

If they cheap out on Burrow, after all they've put the fanbase through for three decades, good freaking luck getting anyone to go to those home games.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's not a tough decision. Chase will eventually play somewhere else because they can't pay him top dollar. The OL and D come before the WR position, in that order. KC let Tyreek go and they're doing just fine.

If they cheap out on Burrow, after all they've put the fanbase through for three decades, good freaking luck getting anyone to go to those home games.
I think they sacrifice Higgins and Mixon first. Can afford 1 top weapon. Everyone else has to be affordable after the OL on offence. On D, you have to find a couple of key guys at the important positions like DE, CB. Can't spend big on LB or S.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lamar has to let that guarantee go.
absolutely. This deal does not help his position. Maybe he was hoping it would, but when you have a QB who signs who was runner up to league MVP and made the Superbowl, losing to the MVP, kind of have to accept that you aren't getting that deal. And shows, why, you sign when you can. Hurts has only made just over $4 mill through 3 seasons, so him getting this deal was important for him. He could have held out of Eagles off season program and camp if he was pushing for a better deal, but accepted this deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad