Player Discussion Jakub Vrana

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
We need to keep him in the lineup, he bring some much needed speed, which will come in handy in the playoffs. The rest of our team is slooooooooow, which is the number one reason why we couldn't beat the Pens the last 2 playoffs.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Is it just me or does he remind anyone else of #12

Yes been saying that since I first saw him. I know it's blasphemy around here but there are similarities, though not an exact match. Some of it is skating style. Both accelerate and shoot from a very deep crouch. Vrana isn't yet the sniper Bondra was, of course.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Until I hear Vrana say "you have to make a lot of shots, to make a lot of goals"....

I want to see his linemates set him up more to use his speed - like footrace dumps, or like Chiasson did, ride in the draft/vacuum created behind him. Try passes to him that forces his D to have to pivot. The recent goals kind of opened my eyes of how best to use him. The guy oozes speed and finish.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yes been saying that since I first saw him. I know it's blasphemy around here but there are similarities, though not an exact match. Some of it is skating style. Both accelerate and shoot from a very deep crouch. Vrana isn't yet the sniper Bondra was, of course.
Right now the only similarity I see is speed. Vrana has a long way to go to become a complete player.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Early Bonzai was all wheels and shots....the cannon slapper and wrister were blatantly deadly in appearance his rookie year. Greatest 8th rounder in NHL history? I say yes.

Bonzai also used to blow a tire a lot....it was like his feet were too strong for his skates he was so quick.

I only see the speed similarity myself. I think people are projecting with hope on this one, but nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

A lot of things are blasphemy here. As the biggest Kuzy fan here, I was comparing Kuznetsov's skating style to Fedorov. People told me that I was exaggerating, then Kuznetsov started skating circles around opposing teams in 2016 and everyone started talking about his "Fedorov-like strides".

Trust your judgment :)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Early Bonzai was all wheels and shots....the cannon slapper and wrister were blatantly deadly in appearance his rookie year. Greatest 8th rounder in NHL history? I say yes.

Bonzai also used to blow a tire a lot....it was like his feet were too strong for his skates he was so quick.

I only see the speed similarity myself. I think people are projecting with hope on this one, but nothing wrong with that.

I don't think it's "projecting with hope" to cite specific similarities in skating style while adding he's got a long way to go to match Bondra's scoring ability. It's like two golfers who have very similar swings to each other but they're easily distinguishable from most of the field. You can see similarities from afar. It doesn't mean they're both going to be as good.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I don't think it's "projecting with hope" to cite specific similarities in skating style while adding he's got a long way to go to match Bondra's scoring ability. It's like two golfers who have very similar swings to each other but they're easily distinguishable from most of the field. You can see similarities from afar. It doesn't mean they're both going to be as good.
I dont see the similarities.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
A lot of things are blasphemy here. As the biggest Kuzy fan here, I was comparing Kuznetsov's skating style to Fedorov. People told me that I was exaggerating, then Kuznetsov started skating circles around opposing teams in 2016 and everyone started talking about his "Fedorov-like strides".

Trust your judgment :)
Never really thought of Kuzy and Fedorov having similar skating styles. But yeah I guess so

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I don’t see it other than raw speed. Their strides are not similar. Their first steps aren’t either. Don’t see it sorry.

Jun 15, 2007
Vrana had a bit of a frustrating playoffs. He seemed like he was playing well but not scoring any points. What a goal in game 5 though. Impeccable timing.

Wonder if we can sign him to a Rakell-type contract now and have him explode into a 30 goal scorer on a bargain contract.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Somehow, I have little doubt that Vrana is gonna explode. He's got elite wheels, a good shot, and more importantly -- natural offensive IQ, seems to me, plus he's a gamer -- held his own on a huge stage.
Add a bit more experience, strength, the game is gonna slow down for him -- watch out.
He's in an ideal position, too, with SC confidence and the Caps' centers' quality.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Elite speed and elite release on his shot. One thing he needs to improve is his stickhandling. Plays died pretty frequently on his stick when his line was cycling, or he would rush into the zone and then turn it over after running out of room.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I've been a Vrana advocate here since he was drafted. He came through with big plays and was a threat on the ice nearly every shift this postseason. People seem to forget when he filled in on the top line early in the playoffs.

He exceeded expectations this postseason. Remember how worried many people were about all the young guys and JAGS rounding out the lineup. Unfounded. Give the new talent space to blossom, and get the right role players.

Vrana earned his place on the Cup.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Vrana was the perfect scoring line depth we have lacked in previous runs. He had a great playoffs and in the games he didn't score, often had quality chances that kept up the pressure. When forced into a bigger role, did just fine. His pinch hitting when Willy got suspended was excellent. It took him a while to zero in on how to beat MAF but he did it, and got us that all important first goal.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Vrana had a bit of a frustrating playoffs. He seemed like he was playing well but not scoring any points. What a goal in game 5 though. Impeccable timing.

Wonder if we can sign him to a Rakell-type contract now and have him explode into a 30 goal scorer on a bargain contract.
Vrana played fairly well. He had a lot of good chances. He did gave trouble scoring in these playoffs but he wasnt a liability out there. His game needs some improvements but the potential is there. He has easily surpassed Burakovsky.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Plays died pretty frequently on his stick when his line was cycling, or he would rush into the zone and then turn it over after running out of room.

Burakovsky actually looked a lot better moving with the puck lately, keeping it on his stick and circling a la Kuznetsov/Eller. Good to see him playing with more confidence.

And you guys are right on Vrana. I was eager for him to stick last year, really thought this would be the place for him to develop because of how he was getting doghoused in Hershey. But our roster was so crowded last year and Trotz favored Sanford and the vets, so it was nice to see him stick this year.

But the best thing to see what the evolution of Trotz. The trust he showed in young guys for most of the year was so refreshing and was absolutely a change from his typical tendencies. If Trotz stays, I'm eager to see more of this from him because we have some interesting talent on the farm now that's ripe for development.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
I was so glad to see Vrana get that goal in G5...he was playing out of his mind in the playoffs everywhere but on the scoresheet. Can’t wait to see him with added confidence next season. I really think he can be a 30+ goal guy in the not so distant future

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I was screaming in the stands against the Pens game 5 that DSP was too slow on the secondary rush for the top line and Vrana needed to be there. They moved him up late in the 2nd and they started looking like a championship team. Produced in the last two rounds and had a lot near misses. I think he’s ahead of Burakovsky and Mojo at the same age, considering his limited minutes.

And this is the most endearing shit I’ve ever seen

Last edited:

Lumpy Grits

Sep 30, 2019
How is Vrana progressing? Is he showing any signs of being a top 3 or top 6 guy? Is he more of a complimentary type player? Any guess on his offensive ceiling?

I only get to see him play once or twice a year, so I wanted to get some good insight from Caps fans who see him every game.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
How is Vrana progressing? Is he showing any signs of being a top 3 or top 6 guy? Is he more of a complimentary type player? Any guess on his offensive ceiling?

I only get to see him play once or twice a year, so I wanted to get some good insight from Caps fans who see him every game.

Solid improvements every season so far. Dude has obviously worked on his strength. He was physically overmatched at times in the NHL very early in his career. Not so any more. This was most apparent between the 17-18 season and 18-19.

He has elite speed, a very good shot, has improved significantly in protecting the puck. Also shown big improvements in awareness and just knowing where to be in order to score.

He's a decent passer but has room to improve.

Very solid second line winger IMO. Would need to make another leap to become a legit first liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad