Jakub Voracek has 31 points his last 31 games

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
he looks scarey as hell on the ice this year... whatever he did and ate in the offseason definitely worked

I hate talking about other players in specific threads, but whatever Tarasenko did and ate in the offseason too, he looks unreal... he has 56 points in last 50 games

Love these 2 guys and happy they are on fire

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Are you the Giroux-adjusted stats guy?

Hahahaha, noo. But thank you for bringing that up, I totally forgot about that. I forget exactly how it goes, but I remember really loving that post. I saw it in retrospect when some one brought it up in a later thread or something.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
It skews the sample/distribution though. Points are worth less when scored in the same game, unless you are on a consecutive point streak of at least 5+ games with at least a point. Voracek has points in 4 straight, so he needs at least a point in his next game or else those 8 count for less. This way, you can have a GOAT like Kane have a legitimate 100 point season potentially. If he gets enough points consistently, then it legitimizes and gives full value to his multi-point games, you feel me?

For example, Schenn scored a hat trick today. That is 3 goals, but all in the same game. So they are worth 0.4 goals each, so actually Schenn scored 1.2 goals today, round to 1 goal.

Secondary assists are only worth .5 assists, and of course, 4 pts in one game (not counting secondaries decrease) actually amounts to 1.6 round to 2P. So that's 4 points in 2 games, not bad. Today's game, he had one secondary assist, so that brings his points to 1.5P, round back up to 2. Against Edmonton he also got 1 secondary, so 4 in 2 is retained. Good for him. If he had one more secondary, he would've only had 3 pts in 2 games.

Of course, the official "stats" include such silly metrics as assists are all equal and if you score 5 goals in a game, you scored 5 goals, but we all know that's not right.

Laine for example went multiple games without goals, but he had two hat tricks. It skews his total and makes him look better than he was. He's actually not that good at scoring, just in single games spread out. That is caused by his play style.

EDIT:
Players exceeding a certain corsi to points ratio, like Kopitar, are exempt from this categorization.

In summation: Pump the brakes, he is a decent player, but he is paid so, so much. Scary.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I particularly enjoyed the bold. I must be missing out since "we all know", but would you mind explaining what's "not right" about this statement, "if you score 5 goals in a game, you scored 5 goals".

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I particularly enjoyed the bold. I must be missing out since "we all know", but would you mind explaining what's "not right" about this statement, "if you score 5 goals in a game, you scored 5 goals".

Well, it's just a silly mathematical flaw when it pretains to hockey abilities.

For example...

Schenn had 1 goal "value" today.
Now, depending on your arbitrary utilization of math (the NHL uses their flawed system), he scored "3".

To illustrate this flaw, you could say Schenn scored 11 "actual" goals today.

If we switch from base 10 to base 2 (binary), 3 goals under the base 10 system is 11 under binary.

So using the binary number system, Schenn scored 11 goals. See the problems with such manipulations?

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
The caveat to remember here is that if Voracek records at least one point in his second game, those remaining 4 "real" but not "value" goals retroactively become valuable and meaningful. Thus propelling him from doing pretty good recently to being red hot. Sooo, basically, all eyes on tomorrows game of PHI VS DETROIT. Battle of the similar colour shades.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
PS: Hansonbro, if you are not on a dump per day streak extending at least 5 games, I suggest increasing your quantity of almonds, quinoa, or raw rolled oats to your diet. Lots of good fibre to help. As for 3 in a day, that sounds excessive, but we aren't considering capsaicin (chile peppers or associated products) content of food or previous night rum consumption, so that could be right on target.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Well, it's just a silly mathematical flaw when it pretains to hockey abilities.

For example...

Schenn had 1 goal "value" today.
Now, depending on your arbitrary utilization of math (the NHL uses their flawed system), he scored "3".

To illustrate this flaw, you could say Schenn scored 11 "actual" goals today.

If we switch from base 10 to base 2 (binary), 3 goals under the base 10 system is 11 under binary.

So using the binary number system, Schenn scored 11 goals. See the problems with such manipulations?

So if I score 9 goals in the base 2 system is that 33 "actual" goes? The reality of the situation seems to be that Schenn actually had 95.3 goals rounded down to 95 goals last year and had 11 today.

Newest sens fan

My uncle owns Nintendo 64
Feb 13, 2014
Connecticut
The caveat to remember here is that if Voracek records at least one point in his second game, those remaining 4 "real" but not "value" goals retroactively become valuable and meaningful. Thus propelling him from doing pretty good recently to being red hot. Sooo, basically, all eyes on tomorrows game of PHI VS DETROIT. Battle of the similar colour shades.

But he had a 4 point game against Edmonton. So does he still need one more point or does he need four?

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
But he had a 4 point game against Edmonton. So does he still need one more point or does he need four?

Just 1. If he gets a point versus Detroit tomorrow, he is on FIRE.

The crappy thing is he could get 4 pts in 4 games hypothetically, then nothing in game 5... and voosh. Reduction. The NHL is hard though, amirite?

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
So if I score 9 goals in the base 2 system is that 33 "actual" goes? The reality of the situation seems to be that Schenn actually had 95.3 goals rounded down to 95 goals last year and had 11 today.

No sir, actually the character 3 does not exist in base 2. Base 10 has 10 characters:
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,

Upon exceeding 9, you change 9 to 0, and add a 1 in front of it (because it is a 9 with an increment of 1, 0 is not incremental so it is skipped; 00 does not follow 9).
Hexidecimal uses base 16, so you would count... 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F.

17 under base 10 = 10 under hexidecimal.

Follow?

This means that 9 goals under base 10, using the base 2 system, is actually 1001 goals.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
No sir, actually the character 3 does not exist in base 2. Base 10 has 10 characters:
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,

Upon exceeding 9, you change 9 to 0, and add a 1 in front of it (because it is a 9 with an increment of 1, 0 is not incremental so it is skipped; 00 does not follow 9).
Hexidecimal uses base 16, so you would count... 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F.

17 under base 10 = 10 under hexidecimal.

Follow?

This means that 9 goals under base 10, using the base 2 system, is actually 1001 goals.

What if you go, 4-4-0-4-4-0-4-4-0-4-4-0...

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013

FYI:
Only Selke candidate, corsi-dominant players like Kopitar and Bergeron are allowed to use base systems below base 10.

Based on your corsi performance (there is a bracket tier system) you are entered into a different base-range. The standard is 10 (but that is subject to game streak alterations).

Kopitar's corsi performance ranks him within the base 7 bracket.

This means that Kopitar's 14 points (not affected by multi-point games, as, again, possession stats are good enough) converted to base 7 = 20.

Last season Kopi had 74 pts = 134 for an Art Ross and career year. The biased NHL gave it to Kane, because Bettman wants more Americans to win major awards, and doesn't respect Slovenians enough to even give them their own nation in world cups.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Fantasy pool stereotypes.....missed the one about the guy who brings an abacus and a calculator.

Team name...."Rain Men"

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
What if you go, 4-4-0-4-4-0-4-4-0-4-4-0...

There is a pattern recurrance astrix in the unofficial hfboards nhl rule book. If you have at least 3 multi-point games over any 6 game stretch, twice in a row (so, in a total of 12 games, you strung together 3 multi-point games in the first 6, and another in the second six), then all of those points become "value" points.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
There is a pattern recurrance astrix in the unofficial hfboards nhl rule book. If you have at least 3 multi-point games over any 6 game stretch, twice in a row (so, in a total of 12 games, you strung together 3 multi-point games in the first 6, and another in the second six), then all of those points become "value" points.

I like you. :handclap:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Potentially yes.

Are you currently operating on at least a 1 dump per day dump streak over the past 5+ days? If so, all 3 count.

If you've had any dumpless days within the past 5 days, that is 1.2, that's right. But since that seems like nonsense, it makes a lot more sense to call it 1 DV (dump value, not to be confused with anything else). 3 AD (actual dumps), 1 DV.

Schenn had "three" goals... But only in silly official stats that don't reflect real skill. Unsustainable. Shooting %. etc.

You need a course in basic probability theory. Try flipping a coin twenty times and see if it alternates between heads and tails with each flip. Very unlikely to happen, and more likely that you'll get heads and tails in "clusters but that doesn't mean the coin doesn't "average" 0.5 heads per flip.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
You need a course in basic probability theory. Try flipping a coin twenty times and see if it alternates between heads and tails with each flip. Very unlikely to happen, and more likely that you'll get heads and tails in "clusters but that doesn't mean the coin doesn't "average" 0.5 heads per flip.

I need a course in math period, I am terrible at it.

I fail to see the corrolation here though. I agree it is very unlikely to happen. I also agree that the average is 0.5
Now, if you flipped the coin 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times, it would be a lot closer to 50/50. But that is an absurd number of times and doesn't accurately represent human-scale events. So for the intents of this context (hockey for instance), what you say is spot on.

I don't get the extension of it though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I need a course in math period, I am terrible at it.

I fail to see the corrolation here though. I agree it is very unlikely to happen. I also agree that the average is 0.5
Now, if you flipped the coin 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times, it would be a lot closer to 50/50. But that is an absurd number of times and doesn't accurately represent human-scale events. So for the intents of this context (hockey for instance), what you say is spot on.

I don't get the extension of it though.

Events cluster around the basic probability, which is why heads or tails cluster, or goals scored.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Voracek has been easily the best Flyer player this year. He is really plays like a wing version of Malkin. He is a top 5 winger in the NHL.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
It skews the sample/distribution though. Points are worth less when scored in the same game, unless you are on a consecutive point streak of at least 5+ games with at least a point. Voracek has points in 4 straight, so he needs at least a point in his next game or else those 8 count for less. This way, you can have a GOAT like Kane have a legitimate 100 point season potentially. If he gets enough points consistently, then it legitimizes and gives full value to his multi-point games, you feel me?

For example, Schenn scored a hat trick today. That is 3 goals, but all in the same game. So they are worth 0.4 goals each, so actually Schenn scored 1.2 goals today, round to 1 goal.

Secondary assists are only worth .5 assists, and of course, 4 pts in one game (not counting secondaries decrease) actually amounts to 1.6 round to 2P. So that's 4 points in 2 games, not bad. Today's game, he had one secondary assist, so that brings his points to 1.5P, round back up to 2. Against Edmonton he also got 1 secondary, so 4 in 2 is retained. Good for him. If he had one more secondary, he would've only had 3 pts in 2 games.

Of course, the official "stats" include such silly metrics as assists are all equal and if you score 5 goals in a game, you scored 5 goals, but we all know that's not right.

Laine for example went multiple games without goals, but he had two hat tricks. It skews his total and makes him look better than he was. He's actually not that good at scoring, just in single games spread out. That is caused by his play style.

EDIT:
Players exceeding a certain corsi to points ratio, like Kopitar, are exempt from this categorization.

In summation: Pump the brakes, he is a decent player, but he is paid so, so much. Scary.

Schenn scored 3 goals today but lost 2-1 apparently.

The Flyers would not have won without Schenn scoring 3 goals. That's about the easiest way to debunk that monstrosity of a post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad