Jakub Kindl

Status
Not open for further replies.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
The problem I have with your standard is that you're confusing having a better dman with having a better blueline. There are lots of teams who have a better dman than Detroit does.

Once you get past Suter in Minnesota you have Spurgeon, Brodin, Dumba, Scandella and Folin. Get out of here with thinking that blue line is better than Detroit's. Seriously. Suter? Oh heck yeah. Better than Kronwall by a goodly bit. Past that? Come on.

Beyond that, Detroit's blueline is just flat better than Washington's, top to bottom. I don't even understand where you'd get a different conclusion. Detroit's a mirror of the Rangers and Tampa blue lines. I think Chicago and Nashville are better, and a few other teams here and there, but Detroit's got at worst a top 10 blueline.

I think there are a bunch of other teams bluelines you like more than Detroit's because you haven't invested the degree of specific distaste you've acquired for individuals you see more often. That's not a 'you' problem, it's a 'familiarity breeding contempt' problem.

A top 10 blueline paired with a better than that group of forwards (top 8? 6? 4?) and a strong goaltending combo?

That'll do, pig. That'll do.
Haha. Love the quote from Babe.

Bench's 10-15 ranking for Detroit seems about right. The Rangers have Yandle playing as a #5 D-man, for crying out loud. That said, if we're arguing about the difference between 7-10 and 10-13, maybe we agree on more than we disagree.

Last edited:

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Funhouse mirror.

Real talk.

The Rangers don't have a single defenseman better than Dekeyser. The reason they are an overall equivalent blue line is that even though Kronwall outclasses Girardi and Dekeyser is better than Klein, right now I like McDonagh/Staal/Yandle/Boyle more than Detroit's 3-6. The Rangers dmen get overrated because Lundqvist is the best goalie on the planet and that helps out their depth d a bunch. Detroit's dmen get dinged because they've routinely had lesser goaltending.

Tampa's D is similar, but with a weaker 3-6 than the Rangers and a not dissimilar one from Detroit's.

And keep in mind, any 'improvement' on the blue line via trade is going to come from trading high-profile forwards in the system and early picks. Remember all those awesome convos where people blast Holland for not picking enough dmen in drafts? Well, moving out 1-3 top 2 round picks plus Mantha to get a #2 or #3 dman surely isn't going to help that out much.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Real talk.

The Rangers don't have a single defenseman better than Dekeyser. The reason they are an overall equivalent blue line is that even though Kronwall outclasses Girardi and Dekeyser is better than Klein, right now I like McDonagh/Staal/Yandle/Boyle more than Detroit's 3-6. The Rangers dmen get overrated because Lundqvist is the best goalie on the planet and that helps out their depth d a bunch. Detroit's dmen get dinged because they've routinely had lesser goaltending.

Tampa's D is similar, but with a weaker 3-6 than the Rangers and a not dissimilar one from Detroit's.

And keep in mind, any 'improvement' on the blue line via trade is going to come from trading high-profile forwards in the system and early picks. Remember all those awesome convos where people blast Holland for not picking enough dmen in drafts? Well, moving out 1-3 top 2 round picks plus Mantha to get a #2 or #3 dman surely isn't going to help that out much.

Ryan McDonagh is better than Dekeyser.

Hedman is way better than our #1, and Stralman is better than our #2. Jason Garrison and Matt Carle are good players, too.

Not really sure where these opinions come from, but you would get killed on the main board with these. Our defense really just doesn't compare that well to other playoff teams.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Real talk.

You really, really overrate our d-corps.

For starters, McDonagh is better than any d-man Wings have.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I recall that the Czech Republic & Slovakia had some kind of agreement that players could play for either team in world events. Kindl did play for the Czechs in 2014.But you're right that he is listed for 2 birth places. He played for Pardubice early on

I believe that when Czechoslovakia split the citizens had the right to choose either Czech or Slovak citizenship, most went with their ethnicity.

However I don't believe that this has anything to do with that, only eliteprospects and English Wikipedia page list Myjava/SVK as his birth place. Czech sources as well as NHL official website list his birthplace as Sumperk/CZE as his birthplace and he has lived in CZE his whole life before going to NA and grew up playing for Sumperk youth teams before Pardubice. I don't thin he has anything to do with Slovakia other than being born in Czechoslovakia (the Czech part however).

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I believe that when Czechoslovakia split the citizens had the right to choose either Czech or Slovak citizenship, most went with their ethnicity.

However I don't believe that this has anything to do with that, only eliteprospects and English Wikipedia page list Myjava/SVK as his birth place. Czech sources as well as NHL official website list his birthplace as Sumperk/CZE as his birthplace and he has lived in CZE his whole life before going to NA and grew up playing for Sumperk youth teams before Pardubice. I don't thin he has anything to do with Slovakia other than being born in Czechoslovakia (the Czech part however).

Yeah must be some kind of typing error, they updated it too, before Kindl was listed in Sumperk CZE

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Real talk.

The Rangers don't have a single defenseman better than Dekeyser. The reason they are an overall equivalent blue line is that even though Kronwall outclasses Girardi and Dekeyser is better than Klein, right now I like McDonagh/Staal/Yandle/Boyle more than Detroit's 3-6. The Rangers dmen get overrated because Lundqvist is the best goalie on the planet and that helps out their depth d a bunch. Detroit's dmen get dinged because they've routinely had lesser goaltending.Tampa's D is similar, but with a weaker 3-6 than the Rangers and a not dissimilar one from Detroit's.

I'd take Tampa or New York's defense over ours every day of the week. Especially Tampa's top pairing. Our defense isn't very good. We have 3 top 4 defensemen and then a hodge podge.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Ryan McDonagh is better than Dekeyser.

Hedman is way better than our #1, and Stralman is better than our #2. Jason Garrison and Matt Carle are good players, too.

Not really sure where these opinions come from, but you would get killed on the main board with these. Our defense really just doesn't compare that well to other playoff teams.

Brayden Coburn too.

I'd take both McDonough and Stralman over Kronwall. Garrison, Coburn, and Carle are all good top 4 guys that round out one of the best defensive groups in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad