Jakub Kindl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
I'm sick of Kindl. Not impressed with his 2 goals against Dallas, watching the 2nd one he flubbed the shot luckily Lehtonen was already down. I don't like seeing him on the PP, as confident as he tries to appear I don't trust him. It's been so long without him he just doesn't fit on this team.

Sorry to be so disgusted, last night he did have some decent plays. I guess I'm enamored with Marchenko as compared. Some of the plays he makes are superb especially for such an inexperienced guy. Kindl could be kept for depth come PO time but wouldn't mind if he was gone today.

Not the biggest Kindl fan either; but clearly, Kindl > DeKeyser on the power play. Everything else, DeKeyser, hands down.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I recall that the Czech Republic & Slovakia had some kind of agreement that players could play for either team in world events. Kindl did play for the Czechs in 2014.But you're right that he is listed for 2 birth places. He played for Pardubice early on

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Birthplace doesn't usually determine your nationality at Europe.

Or, is Robyn Regehr brazilian?

What comes to Kindl, he has been great at season start. Was one of the defencemen who got puck out best when Hurricanes rolled their game.

I think our trade bait is Brendan Smith at moment, more than Kindl.

Houston Red Winger

Jun 1, 2008
Houston
He has the talent, but Babcock seems to bring out the worst in him. Who knows what will happen at this point. I still can't shake the feeling we'll watch him become an asset somewhere else.

This has been my thinking all along. Babcock put demons inside Kindl's head. If Blashill handles him better, I think he will pay better than he ever as so far. This season will tell the tale.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Birthplace doesn't usually determine your nationality at Europe.

Or, is Robyn Regehr brazilian?

What comes to Kindl, he has been great at season start. Was one of the defencemen who got puck out best when Hurricanes rolled their game.

I think our trade bait is Brendan Smith at moment, more than Kindl.

I still think Quincey should be the trade bait. I like the Smith and Kindl pairing so far.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I still think Quincey should be the trade bait. I like the Smith and Kindl pairing so far.

Quincey's also the biggest cap space between them, and his "safe" game is most easily replaced from within. This isn't meant to denigrate Quincey, it's just easier to call someone up and put them on the ice for 13-16 minutes a night with the directive to keep the puck away from the net than it is to call someone up to replace someone like Kronwall or Green and ask them to put 40 points on the board throughout the season, while holding down 20 minutes a night (since the IT is nearly required to put up that sort of points).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

We need Quincey for the Cup run. He has been good and physical, adds some snarl, absolute element we instantly need, if he is not there.

At summer, he walks because of salary raises. Just inevitable to happen. He has more value in playing roster than as UFA rental tradebait for someone else.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We need Quincey for the Cup run. He has been good and physical, adds some snarl, absolute element we instantly need, if he is not there.

At summer, he walks because of salary raises. Just inevitable to happen. He has more value in playing roster than as UFA rental tradebait for someone else.

The guy you are throwing out as trade bait has been arguably (I have him just behind Kronwall) our best D-man the last two playoffs. Not sure that makes sense.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The guy you are throwing out as trade bait has been arguably (I have him just behind Kronwall) our best D-man the last two playoffs. Not sure that makes sense.

Somebody has to go in a trade if we go after an UPGRADE. I'm not just throwing something out. Cap space has to be created and 2016-17 cap will be a serious issue, Smith contract carries over for that season. Smith has value, because he is not becoming UFA and quite young.

And we can't trade carbage (like Kindl is so far). No one isn't interested in carbage. We have to deal with them as ourselves.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
The mistake people make pretty often, as fans, is thinking a trade is a path to improvement, and not trading means the team isn't trying to improve.

Kronwall, Dekeyser, Green, Quincey and Ericsson is a good top 4/5. Smith and Kindl/Marachenko/Ouellet/Jensen/whogivesableep is a fine bottom pairing.

The forwards are fine, once Datsyuk and Helm come back and everyone can get properly slotted.

The goalies are, apparently, fine.

I get that it's fun to tinker and play armchair GM with scenario trades... but man, this team is borderline loaded right now. The smartest possible thing to do is to let that play out for a few months while Blashill fine tunes things before we start pulling parts off and trying to upgrade bits here and there.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The mistake people make pretty often, as fans, is thinking a trade is a path to improvement, and not trading means the team isn't trying to improve.

Kronwall, Dekeyser, Green, Quincey and Ericsson is a good top 4/5. Smith and Kindl/Marachenko/Ouellet/Jensen/whogivesableep is a fine bottom pairing.

The forwards are fine, once Datsyuk and Helm come back and everyone can get properly slotted.

The goalies are, apparently, fine.

I get that it's fun to tinker and play armchair GM with scenario trades... but man, this team is borderline loaded right now. The smartest possible thing to do is to let that play out for a few months while Blashill fine tunes things before we start pulling parts off and trying to upgrade bits here and there.

For once, I agree. Stick with the team as it is. Our strong goaltending and two-way forwards will make up for the defensively poor D group. What we really need from our D was better outlet passing and we get that from Green. Unless a trade for a clear top-pair guy like Shattenkirk comes up, ride this roster as it is. At the trade deadline, if we are healthy and leading our division, then we should look at maybe acquiring another defenseman, but only if it solidifies our chances at the cup.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

It's a huge weakness for a playoff contender. You can't be "borderline loaded" with a below average blueline. The best thing I can say about that top 4 is that it's serviceable. Of course, I'm of the opinion Quincey and DeKeyser are being way overblown lately. If you actually think those two are gamebreakers against playoff teams, I can see how one would be more optimistic.

Book is out on Ericsson. How he was last year isn't good enough. And more time with eyes on Green as a Wing will be helpful to see how he fits. I'm optimistic with him.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Quincey's also the biggest cap space between them, and his "safe" game is most easily replaced from within. This isn't meant to denigrate Quincey, it's just easier to call someone up and put them on the ice for 13-16 minutes a night with the directive to keep the puck away from the net than it is to call someone up to replace someone like Kronwall or Green and ask them to put 40 points on the board throughout the season, while holding down 20 minutes a night (since the IT is nearly required to put up that sort of points).

If Quincey's game is so easily replaceable then why haven't Smith, Kindl, XO, or Marchenko done so? I think you underrate him wildly.

He's been our 3rd best defenceman since 2014 now.

And he's probably the most physical and abrasive.

I don't think he's going anywhere unless they bring someone in who has an edge to their game. And even then, I don't think he's first to leave.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I thought he was awesome against Boston. Didn't think he was anything special against Tampa.

And only showing up for 10% of a season doesn't cut it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
For once, I agree. Stick with the team as it is. Our strong goaltending and two-way forwards will make up for the defensively poor D group. What we really need from our D was better outlet passing and we get that from Green. Unless a trade for a clear top-pair guy like Shattenkirk comes up, ride this roster as it is. At the trade deadline, if we are healthy and leading our division, then we should look at maybe acquiring another defenseman, but only if it solidifies our chances at the cup.

Well, I agree swapping Kindl for whoever won't matter. I'm more interested that Holland get aggressive on an honest to goodness top 4 player. Somebody that clearly belongs there and preferably somebody with a little sandpaper to their game.

The ticky tacky sideways stuff won't push this over the edge. The team needs to upgrade Quincey and Ericsson, not Kindl.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I thought he was awesome against Boston. Didn't think he was anything special against Tampa.

And only showing up for 10% of a season doesn't cut it.

Also worth noting while Smith put up a valiant effort, the team rarely looked like they were going to win. So you know, I'd prefer the #2 defender to have a little more sway over outcomes rather than exceed his low "bonehead" expectations.

I'm just not a Smith guy.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
It's a huge weakness for a playoff contender. You can't be "borderline loaded" with a below average blueline.

If you think Detroit's blue line is below average we aren't speaking the same language, or on the same planet, or circling the same sun.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If you think Detroit's blue line is below average we aren't speaking the same language, or on the same planet, or circling the same sun.

Are we doing this across the league or with playoff teams? I was under the assumption the Wings measure would be the latter.

Bluelines I like a lot more: Rangers, Habs, Bolts, Blues, Predators, Hawks, Wild, Ducks, Capitals. That's 9 of the 16 likely playoff teams right there. Could argue some others, too, but those are pretty clear to me. So sure, maybe the Wings fall somewhere in the 10-15 category. Above average, I guess. In probably the most important position come Spring.

I'll keep hanging out on Omicron Persei 8.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

It's certainly not a strength, let's put it that way.

Kronwall's our clear #1, except he's also clearly below guys like Keith, Doughty, etc. E is waaaay above his pay grade on top pair. We're shuffling deck chairs with Kindl/Smith/XO/AM since none of them seem to be able to crack the top4 and stay there. Jury is still out on Green.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Detroit had the worst blue line out of all playoff teams last year, and i don't expect that to radically change going into this year's playoffs. Maybe a couple spots higher than last year. Assuming the usual suspects make the playoffs.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's certainly not a strength, let's put it that way.

Kronwall's our clear #1, except he's also clearly below guys like Keith, Doughty, etc. E is waaaay above his pay grade on top pair. We're shuffling deck chairs with Kindl/Smith/XO/AM since none of them seem to be able to crack the top4 and stay there. Jury is still out on Green.

Exactly. Having better #4 guy doesn't make up for the fact the top pairing is below the elite tier. Particularly when those top pairing guys can crunch 25+ minutes of a game when it counts.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If Quincey's game is so easily replaceable then why haven't Smith, Kindl, XO, or Marchenko done so? I think you underrate him wildly.

He's been our 3rd best defenceman since 2014 now.

And he's probably the most physical and abrasive.

I don't think he's going anywhere unless they bring someone in who has an edge to their game. And even then, I don't think he's first to leave.

And I think you overrate him, though I never said he would be the first to leave. He's the one I would move first.

He's a possession black hole who is lousy with the puck and handicaps his partner. He hasn't been replaced partly because Smith & Kindl have been tire fires in their own right and partly because he's a vet with a contract.

Though, if ice time is any measurement, he's the low man on the totem pole this year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Are we doing this across the league or with playoff teams? I was under the assumption the Wings measure would be the latter.

Bluelines I like a lot more: Rangers, Habs, Bolts, Blues, Predators, Hawks, Wild, Ducks, Capitals. That's 9 of the 16 likely playoff teams right there. Could argue some others, too, but those are pretty clear to me. So sure, maybe the Wings fall somewhere in the 10-15 category. Above average, I guess. In probably the most important position come Spring.

I'd add the Kings and Flames to that list and not blink at it. And there are a number of teams (Panthers, Oilers, Isles) with younger bluelines that could take some serious steps forward this season. With us, I don't see a great space for improvement. Maybe Kindl and Smith find their games, maybe Ericsson recovers...but I don't expect anything radically different from what we've seen in the past.

I wouldn't be against having XO and Jensen/Marchenko starting in place of Kindl and Quincey just because I don't think we lose much of anything in the short term, but at least have that room to hopefully grow in the long term.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006

The problem I have with your standard is that you're confusing having a better dman with having a better blueline. There are lots of teams who have a better dman than Detroit does.

Once you get past Suter in Minnesota you have Spurgeon, Brodin, Dumba, Scandella and Folin. Get out of here with thinking that blue line is better than Detroit's. Seriously. Suter? Oh heck yeah. Better than Kronwall by a goodly bit. Past that? Come on.

Beyond that, Detroit's blueline is just flat better than Washington's, top to bottom. I don't even understand where you'd get a different conclusion. Detroit's a mirror of the Rangers and Tampa blue lines. I think Chicago and Nashville are better, and a few other teams here and there, but Detroit's got at worst a top 10 blueline.

I think there are a bunch of other teams bluelines you like more than Detroit's because you haven't invested the degree of specific distaste you've acquired for individuals you see more often. That's not a 'you' problem, it's a 'familiarity breeding contempt' problem.

A top 10 blueline paired with a better than that group of forwards (top 8? 6? 4?) and a strong goaltending combo?

That'll do, pig. That'll do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad